Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 09:56 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,365,310 times

Advertisements

I live in the Bible belt, and no one here has pushed me into their religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 10:29 AM

919 posts, read 3,187,209 times
Wow..I also live in the bible belt and I get bombaded with..come to my church or do you know the lord?! Gosh that is one reason why I am moving back north, one of the smaller reasons actuallly..I am glad you were able to escape that, maybe you live in a progressive area?

Old 12-17-2007, 03:15 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,365,310 times
Default bible belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour View Post
Wow..I also live in the bible belt and I get bombaded with..come to my church or do you know the lord?! Gosh that is one reason why I am moving back north, one of the smaller reasons actuallly..I am glad you were able to escape that, maybe you live in a progressive area?
Maybe I do live in a progressive area. I live where there is a college. And maybe it is just that I hang out with people that don't push. I don't know.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:47 AM

119 posts, read 457,181 times
I'm in the bible belt too and yes, the religious pushiness(is that a word..lol) is all around. I've learned to just smile and say, "Yes, have a good day" and walk away. I don't get into religion.....I'm actually shocked that I'm even posting on this message board.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:16 AM

26 posts, read 59,792 times
I think that it is a basic, human instinct to crave love and fear death. Most religions take care of those fears by offering you unconditional love and eternal life. Who wouldn’t want that? How hard would life be for many people if they had to look inside of themselves for answers, instead of relying on things like god or the devil to explain the atrocities in the world?

Old 12-19-2007, 02:50 PM

I can certainly understanding wanting that and being comforted by it, but if you see it for what it is, a fairy tale, then what do you do? Your left feeling scared.....wondering what will happen to you...all because you used your basic reasoining skills to see you been conned...sad.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:23 AM

24 posts, read 48,857 times
Celtic, you make it sound like other nations & cultures are oblivious to Jesus Christ like youv'e been there and surveyed them on what theyv'e been exposed too. If Jesus Christ is the true God them i can't help but imagine that he's a world wide figure considering Christianity is the largest and most known to man, for lack of better term, "religion."

And personally, i would like to think that if someone was just never exposed to the truth then God would take that into consideration on judgement day. Just like he might a newborn baby or a mentally retarded person. The Lord is just in all he does and only he weighs the heart.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:19 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,330,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour View Post
EVeryone thinks they have the RIGHT answer!
Faith, good thoughts.....if that was true, then why do good people die who did nothing wrong? People say have faith and believe and god will reward you? Now that is just silly, isn;t it? I know many evil people in this world who lead very good lives and very good people, who had died young...this just makes no sense to me, sorry
What you believe mostly comes from your culture and where you were born, and your experiences...If I had been born in another land, I would of been a believer of another faith...and vice versa...
All religions can't be right...they conflict, don't they? they sure do! People have killed in the name of religion, they still do? And this is to suppose to somehow make me a believer?
Men created religion..Now even some women...
Religion stinks to high heaven, if it exists.

I wanted to believe but I can't...when I critically think here, it just makes no sense and the more I think of it, the more it scares me too...I think I am an atheist...
yeah, religion scares the hell out of me too. for one, it is do damn overcomplicated, that no one can really understand it unless they devote their entire live to that end.

and that kind of power in the hands of mankind is never any good.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:43 AM

7,999 posts, read 12,291,304 times
I think perhaps it becomes far less scary when one separates doctrine and dogma from spirituality and faith...

Take gentle Christmas care.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:54 AM

and that kind of power in the hands of mankind is never any good.

ABSOLUTELY!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality