Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 02:24 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
And I think you are quite right that all religions can't be right because yes, they contradict each other at some crucial points IMO. Now for myself, I have seen enough subjective truth in Christianity in the form of healings and other miracles that I have no problem unequivocably believing that Jesus is who He said He was, the Son of God, the only way to the Father.
Although I can agree with you on the points of healing and other miracles, (I've seen my share of what I certainly would call miracles), which causes so many to believe in Jesus, the catch is that most other spiritual belief systems can also claim healings and miracles, which they attribute to whomever, or whatever, they believe in. Now, the fundamentalist Christian will say that these other folks are being deceived by Satan, or, (being in a charitable mood), they might say that these miracles are God's way of reaching these other folks, that they might be led to Christ. While both ideas could be correct, it does not change the fact that these other folks believe just as ardently as we do in the miracles in their lives, regardless of the fact that they give the credit to their own god(s). And, both of these ideas can come across as being somewhat arrogant to the non-Christian. I guess my point is, that truth is, indeed, subjective. Each of us have at least some truth in our belief system. Perhaps, just perhaps, (though most fundamentalists of any spiritual belief system will not hold with this), our Creator reaches each of us, in His own way, wherever we are, whatever our culture, whatever our level of understanding, even if the religiously adamant don't think so. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 02:29 PM

919 posts, read 3,183,800 times
But why do some get that miracle of recovery, and some do not? I personally think good and bad things just randomly happen...I know of good people who died very young, and evil people who been "blessed" or whatever here....beyond belief..and god is just and merciful?

Most fundies I known were very far from any moral code they professsed to have...and the so called evil ones, had much more love in them...

Thanks for posting...I may not fully agree, but i do value your input

Old 12-10-2007, 02:47 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
i agree. religion causes too many problems!
I agree with that.
It may not look like God is in control but I believe He is. We live in a fallen sinful world, there will always be things that we don't have an answer for. My faith in the Lord is not shaken, never has been. I trust Him. believe in Him, I believe the Bible and what it says, I stand on His promises to comfort me in times of trouble.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:47 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Seaharbour, I'm glad to see that at least you recognize what an ill disease religion can become. I've been living a life free from God for years now and I have never felt more free. I don't worry about a surveillance camera in the sky that's watching every move I make. It gives me much reason to enjoy life for its' fullest and not wonder whether my enjoyment or pleasure in something is sinful. For me, it has been much easier to learn the true meaning of love, compassion, and all the things Jesus preached without believing in God or Jesus himself.

I don't feel a void or emptiness in my life, especially one that many Christians seem to think I must have. I LOVE my life, and all the things in it. Death to me is about as scary as the time before I was born. We all remember how awful that was, now don't we? I encourage you to drop the prison shackles, and set yourself free from the chains of religion and dictated thought and live your life to the fullest without worrying whether or not there is some figurehead in heaven watching you. Chances are, you're worshipping the wrong deity anyway, so if you're wrong you're no better or worse off than any freethinking atheist.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:55 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour View Post
But why do some get that miracle of recovery, and some do not? I personally think good and bad things just randomly happen...I know of good people who died very young, and evil people who been "blessed" or whatever here....beyond belief..and god is just and merciful?

Most fundies I known were very far from any moral code they professsed to have...and the so called evil ones, had much more love in them...

Thanks for posting...I may not fully agree, but i do value your input
Yeah, in some sense there is some "randomness" to it. Jesus did say that the rain falls on the righteous as well as the unrighteous. Being a believer doesn't shield you from all the evil in this world. For example, the shootings in Colorado yesterday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I agree with that.
It may not look like God is in control but I believe He is. We live in a fallen sinful world, there will always be things that we don't have an answer for. My faith in the Lord is not shaken, never has been. I trust Him. believe in Him, I believe the Bible and what it says, I stand on His promises to comfort me in times of trouble.
I agree 100%. We don't necessarily understand everything that happens and if you believe the Bible you know that as the Bible states "all creation is still groaning for redemption" which hasn't occurred until Christ returns. Until then... we do live in a fallen world, but God can give us hope and comfort for our tribulation until that time. But if we believe, then we also believe that this world is NOT the end of the story.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:03 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Although I can agree with you on the points of healing and other miracles, (I've seen my share of what I certainly would call miracles), which causes so many to believe in Jesus, the catch is that most other spiritual belief systems can also claim healings and miracles, which they attribute to whomever, or whatever, they believe in. Now, the fundamentalist Christian will say that these other folks are being deceived by Satan, or, (being in a charitable mood), they might say that these miracles are God's way of reaching these other folks, that they might be led to Christ. While both ideas could be correct, it does not change the fact that these other folks believe just as ardently as we do in the miracles in their lives, regardless of the fact that they give the credit to their own god(s). And, both of these ideas can come across as being somewhat arrogant to the non-Christian. I guess my point is, that truth is, indeed, subjective. Each of us have at least some truth in our belief system. Perhaps, just perhaps, (though most fundamentalists of any spiritual belief system will not hold with this), our Creator reaches each of us, in His own way, wherever we are, whatever our culture, whatever our level of understanding, even if the religiously adamant don't think so. Just my opinion.
I would add to this that I also believe that Christianity does have some objective evidence that lends credence to the veracity of it ( as well as what I personally believe and have experienced subjectively.) At the end of the day, everyone does have to decide for themselves what they ultimately believe... or don't believe.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:20 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post

...Death is the consequence of sin...
It's also the consequence of stupid actions, bad luck, and old age.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:33 AM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Death comes for everyone whether they're good people or bad people. Death is the consequence of sin. We have all sinned and therefore we will all eventually die. The rain falls on everyone equally, just as trials and struggles do as well. Where you were born or what religion you might have been has no bearing on the underlying veracity of Christianity. What humans do in the name of their religion is either consistent with its teachings or inconsistent. Those that do evil in the name of God are not being consistent with their faith and this needs to be recognized. You shouldn't throw out the baby with the bath water.

Structured religion is a comfort to some and others don't like it. My faith isn't based upon religion. My faith is based upon a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. I keep my eyes on Him. Religions can and often do change, but Jesus never does.
The rain does not fall on everyone equally, at least not in this world.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:45 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
Although the filthy rich do have enormous umbrellas, they cannot avoid death. So they often only get drizzles in life instead of rain-storms, in the end even they do die.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:11 AM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Although the filthy rich do have enormous umbrellas, they cannot avoid death. So they often only get drizzles in life instead of rain-storms, in the end even they do die.
Yeah, I think deep down rich must be aetheists. If they did have any faith I think they'd realize they need to be giving away all they can, not hiding in their mansions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality