Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2011, 08:53 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,004,753 times

Advertisements

A Philosopher of Religion Calls it Quits | (A)theologies | Religion Dispatches

Quote:
I have to confess that I now regard “the case for theism” as a fraud and I can no longer take it seriously enough to present it to a class as a respectable philosophical position—no more than I could present intelligent design as a legitimate biological theory. BTW, in saying that I now consider the case for theism to be a fraud, I do not mean to charge that the people making that case are frauds who aim to fool us with claims they know to be empty. No, theistic philosophers and apologists are almost painfully earnest and honest... I just cannot take their arguments seriously any more, and if you cannot take something seriously, you should not try to devote serious academic attention to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 12:21 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
"Another one kicks religion to the curb. Philosopher of Religion Calls it Quits"

Science, Logic, and Reason will normally defeat mythology in the minds of intelligent people.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:44 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
This was already posted somewhere, but, after reading the updates on NAMI I feel moved to say, the debate really ought to be over. Religions are man - made constructs, there is no evidence worth a damn' for the religions of the book and evolution ought not even to be under discussion.

A poster has opened up in 'Atheism' a thread 'why are atheists so hostile to theists?' It's an attempt to defend by attack but this is the answer - because what should not even be a matter for debate in the 21st century is not only still being shoved at us but the implication is that we are somehow lesser beings if we don't swallow this stuff.

In addition to that, the illogic, misrepresentation, ducking, diving, evasion and dodging the issue is annoying. It's a question of intellectually honest people being made to deal with scamsters.

Now, I don't say theists are dishonest. The may, outside of religion, be perfectly honest people. But, as we have seen, the very methods of religious belief and apologetics turns honesty and reason on its head.

Is it any wonder that those who apply reason and the science method as it should be applied cannot but end up walking away from the big lie of religion?

Old 01-09-2011, 08:18 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,733,461 times
Traditional religious concepts of theism have been philosophically dead for a long time, although some high-profile folks have continued kicking the corpse, hoping to convince casual bystanders by saying "See! There's still some movement!" The plain fact is that the notion of a loving, all-powerful, all-knowing, creator God is irrational, so the true believer's only choice is to give up on on rational argument and openly embracing a set of philosophical premises that have been proven to make no sense. The option for believers is to be not such a true believer, and let go of one or more of the rationally incompatible premises - so, for example, maybe God is not all-powerful, or might not be all-knowing, etc. The only real philosophical life left in theism is in these more liberal conceptions of a Higher Power.

Non-philosophers, of course, can just give up on rational thought and be done with the whole debate. "I believe what I believe, and that's that." What's absurd and annoying is when non-philosophers attempt to continue the debate and claim that their traditional theistic views are the most rational and consistent with science. It's laughable, but you can't really argue with it because they've already given up on rational debate despite insisting that they are the most rational.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:34 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default Well, Duhhh!

Given the conspicuous absence of "campo's" usual conclusions based on one-off singular announcements, I'll make one for him, on his behalf (perhaps he just can't get to his laptop right now...) in the best traditions of his unique intellectual style.

"Philosophers the world over denounce religious philosophy and Christianity, based on a logical review."

This defection proves Christianity is obviously dead, since that's now proven in general agreement amongst the established and oft quoted Christian experts.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:37 AM

360 posts, read 444,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Given the conspicuous absence of "campo's" usual conclusions based on one-off singular announcements, I'll make one for him, on his behalf (perhaps he just can't get to his laptop right now...) in the best traditions of his unique intellectual style.

"Philosophers the world over denounce religious philosophy and Christianity, based on a logical review."

This defection proves Christianity is obviously dead, since that's now proven in general agreement amongst the established and oft quoted Christian experts.
On the contrary, it's really, really hard to say Christianity is "dead" because one guy quit defending it. Was he a Creationist? Was he a Universalist? Was he agnostic or gnostic?

Old 01-09-2011, 10:36 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
I don't care about your atheistic philosophy. It's logically flawed and biased, as usual.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:30 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,004,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I don't care about your atheistic philosophy. It's logically flawed and biased, as usual.
Thanks for the announcement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality