Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 07:42 AM

34,351 posts, read 20,627,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
I completely agree. I think abortion is a goldmine for the rich distracts the religious voting population from the issue of poverty.

I think televangelists and thousand dollar suits and churches with bigscreens and expensive sound systems are so hypocritical same reason. The same could be said of Catholic churches and how they are set up.
I am catholic and our catholic church is not set up with expensive sound systems, no one in suits, and sorry, no sex abusing priest. Please don't make generalzations about any sect, denomination, or belief system. We are all human and prone to being imperfect.

Our catholic church is in Seminole, OK, where there are not a great many catholics-this area of US is mainly Baptist and Free Will Baptist. But our parish has a very wide mix of ethnic diversity, which in my opinion is truly what the word catholic means: universal.

Hope I did not misinterpret what you were saying about how catholic churches are set up. But if I did, I apologize for my off topic post.

Pax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 03:56 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,531,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
Alaska, Greenland or Iceland are very open. No, wait....that's not what you meant. Well, maybe. There's not many people there and probably not much discussion about things like this because of it. It's just a thought.

Somewhere a little warmer please.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:39 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,418,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour View Post
EVeryone thinks they have the RIGHT answer!
Faith, good thoughts.....if that was true, then why do good people die who did nothing wrong? People say have faith and believe and god will reward you? Now that is just silly, isn;t it? I know many evil people in this world who lead very good lives and very good people, who had died young...this just makes no sense to me, sorry
What you believe mostly comes from your culture and where you were born, and your experiences...If I had been born in another land, I would of been a believer of another faith...and vice versa...
All religions can't be right...they conflict, don't they? they sure do! People have killed in the name of religion, they still do? And this is to suppose to somehow make me a believer?
Men created religion..Now even some women...
Religion stinks to high heaven, if it exists.

I wanted to believe but I can't...when I critically think here, it just makes no sense and the more I think of it, the more it scares me too...I think I am an atheist...
Along with in the name of money and power among other things. Your argument is flawed there, you can't blame a single thing for the actions of people, specifically the motivations for war/killing others. People have also killed in the name of being superior racially than others and a host of other reasons.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:59 AM

119 posts, read 457,794 times
Religion has always scared me until I separated religion and God. The two don't necessarily go together. Religion is a set of rules or standards that man put in place to show their belief in God. I'm a nothing as far as religion goes...I believe in God, that Jesus died for my sins,and that He is coming back...I refuse to label myself as a Christian because there are more wacked out Christians than good ones. I'm feeling the daggers being shot at me through the computer..LOL. People keep referring to Southern Baptists being bad but they have nothing on Pentecostals. I can say that in confidence because I was raised it and have Pentecostal preachers in my family, and it is just insane. The doctrine I believe 100%...the standards that man put in place? Not even close.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:58 PM

919 posts, read 3,192,504 times
can the two be seperated? I am curious somewhere...like your screename btw.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:12 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,235,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Death comes for everyone whether they're good people or bad people. Death is the consequence of sin. We have all sinned and therefore we will all eventually die. The rain falls on everyone equally, just as trials and struggles do as well. Where you were born or what religion you might have been has no bearing on the underlying veracity of Christianity. What humans do in the name of their religion is either consistent with its teachings or inconsistent. Those that do evil in the name of God are not being consistent with their faith and this needs to be recognized. You shouldn't throw out the baby with the bath water.

Structured religion is a comfort to some and others don't like it. My faith isn't based upon religion. My faith is based upon a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. I keep my eyes on Him. Religions can and often do change, but Jesus never does.
What is your message here??? We die because we sin?? We die because we stop breathing and our vital organs shut down....what a bunch of HOOOEEYYY...

Old 12-15-2007, 10:04 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,493,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
What is your message here??? We die because we sin?? We die because we stop breathing and our vital organs shut down....what a bunch of HOOOEEYYY...
I wonder why every living thing on the planet dies as well?? Perhaps every dog, cat, lion, tiger, and bear bit a fruit off the forbidden tree also?

Old 12-15-2007, 10:10 PM

119 posts, read 457,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour View Post
can the two be seperated? I am curious somewhere...like your screename btw.
Yes, I do believe they can. Not many people seem to think so or there wouldn't be all of these different religions claiming they have the right way. Maybe I am wrong...but I don't feel that way and I am so much more at peace with myself, God, and the world since i've started believing this way.

Oh,and thank you about the screenname.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:57 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,531,379 times
I think SOME peope need the framework of religion to prop themselves up. I don't think they can just sit down and read the bible and interpret it for themselves, if god can speak to you then why wouldn't he help you understand on your own. They NEED, CRAVE someone to tell them what to think, what movies you can't see, what to eat, how to dress. Religion is like the all seeing parent.

I think alot of people would be lost if they woke up tomorrow and their RELIGION was completely gone. I think they would be completely lost and confused. Too me, thats being too dependent. You risk being led in the wrong direction when you accept things on faith from a human being.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:13 AM

794 posts, read 3,369,110 times
Default The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDayInSomewhere View Post
Religion has always scared me until I separated religion and God. The two don't necessarily go together. Religion is a set of rules or standards that man put in place to show their belief in God. I'm a nothing as far as religion goes...I believe in God, that Jesus died for my sins,and that He is coming back...I refuse to label myself as a Christian because there are more wacked out Christians than good ones. I'm feeling the daggers being shot at me through the computer..LOL. People keep referring to Southern Baptists being bad but they have nothing on Pentecostals. I can say that in confidence because I was raised it and have Pentecostal preachers in my family, and it is just insane. The doctrine I believe 100%...the standards that man put in place? Not even close.
You hit the nail on the head. The one thing that all religions have in common is a belief in a higher power, God, Allah, Yahwey, etc.
The how and why you believe is where religion picks up, and hence the fallibility of man as a species.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality