Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2008, 09:58 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,839,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
I pray to God that religions will become obsolete.

I think that religion is wrong. We should all only have a loving relationship with our creator: God the Father, Jesus his Son and the Holy Spirit.
If Jesus is a Jew (a religion), I would ask...how does the "bride of Christ" fit into your belief? This is not a challenge to your thinking.... it is more of an exercise of our minds.

Jam 1:27 Pure and undefiled religion before God the Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their misfortune and to keep oneself unstained by the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 05:21 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,955,418 times
Default Jesus is a Relationship, Not a Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
If Jesus is a Jew (a religion)
If I may add to this here's a couple of sites that dispute His a Religion. I really feel Jesus was speaking about the people who are His followers to be the church, not a certain denomination and how many seats are filled on Sunday.

It means how much time do you really spend talking with Him and have you really read His word. It's one thing to let preachers tell you what the Bible says it's another to read it for YOURSELF, before you decide you don't believe in Jesus.

The truth of the gospel is that you have been saved from religion and its endless demands, whether you know it, understand it, believe it or not. Jesus has given you that freedom! You now have the privilege of resting from your works so that you might marvel at His. However, it is only through faith in this truth that you will experience and enjoy the freedom that is yours. Tragically, there are many saints today and throughout history who have had everything in Christ for years and yet have wallowed in spiritual poverty because of unbelief. To read more.....................................Saved From Religion : Faith In Jesus Christ : Freedom In Christ

And Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me, believes not in me but in him who sent me. And whoever sees me sees him who sent me." (John 12:44-45,ESV)
Not Religion! - Trust Me (http://www.notreligion.com/index.php/Daily-Insights/Trust-Me.html - broken link)

Old 02-16-2008, 06:03 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,839,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
If I may add to this here's a couple of sites that dispute His a Religion. I really feel Jesus was speaking about the people who are His followers to be the church, not a certain denomination and how many seats are filled on Sunday.

It means how much time do you really spend talking with Him and have you really read His word. It's one thing to let preachers tell you what the Bible says it's another to read it for YOURSELF, before you decide you don't believe in Jesus.

The truth of the gospel is that you have been saved from religion and its endless demands, whether you know it, understand it, believe it or not. Jesus has given you that freedom! You now have the privilege of resting from your works so that you might marvel at His. However, it is only through faith in this truth that you will experience and enjoy the freedom that is yours. Tragically, there are many saints today and throughout history who have had everything in Christ for years and yet have wallowed in spiritual poverty because of unbelief. To read more.....................................Saved From Religion : Faith In Jesus Christ : Freedom In Christ

And Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me, believes not in me but in him who sent me. And whoever sees me sees him who sent me." (John 12:44-45,ESV)
Not Religion! - Trust Me (http://www.notreligion.com/index.php/Daily-Insights/Trust-Me.html - broken link)
Your completely off topic... read the OP. In addition you have taken my post of context.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:28 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,668,068 times
Quote:
If Jesus is a Jew (a religion), I would ask...how does the "bride of Christ" fit into your belief? This is not a challenge to your thinking.... it is more of an exercise of our minds.

Jam 1:27 Pure and undefiled religion before God the Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their misfortune and to keep oneself unstained by the world.
I'm going to make an attempt here to try to explain something, from my viewpoint, I don't think being Jewish is a religion, I think it's an ethnicity, there are many Jews who are not religious, however with that being said, I'm going to make an attempt to explain how my culture would view Jesus, we would look at him as a teacher, a person that would go about teaching people how to respect one another and how to believe in a creator. I don't think you need religion to do that.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:52 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,635,284 times
ptsum wrote:
Quote:
I don't think being Jewish is a religion, I think it's an ethnicity, there are many Jews who are not religious
I agree with those thoughts. The nation of Israel is the primary example of what you're saying and it's an interesting mix of religious and secular groups that span the spectrum of extremists on both sides of the political and religious fringes and also include the mainstream as well. Israel is a democratic society that was created as a result of the atrocities of World World II but it functions as a democratic society and allows all points of view to participate.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Your completely off topic... read the OP. In addition you have taken my post of context.
For you I may be off topic, but as far as I'm concerned it's about Religion being obsolete, Christianity maybe, Jesus NEVER. So what makes you think HE is a Religion? Christianity is a Religion NOT Jesus.

Last edited by wildflower82; 02-16-2008 at 08:27 PM..

Old 02-16-2008, 10:13 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,467,471 times
Quote:
For you I may be off topic, but as far as I'm concerned it's about Religion being obsolete, Christianity maybe, Jesus NEVER. So what makes you think HE is a Religion? Christianity is a Religion NOT Jesus.
Hmmm.... I think the first six letter of Christianity kind of sums it up for me...

Old 02-17-2008, 11:17 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,668,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Hmmm.... I think the first six letter of Christianity kind of sums it up for me...
Actually I think he was known as Jesus of Nazareth it was not until later that he was known as the Christ, which if I'm not mistaken, and it's possible it could be, but I think the word Christ also means Savior in their language, so I guess that would mean that he was Jesus of Nazareth the Christ, not Jesus Christ, I realize this is just semantics, but I think that Christians seem to forget that he was known as Jesus, son of Mary and Joseph of Nazareth.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Okay, Yes your right. But if Christianity which is known as a RELIGION were to become obsolete it won't make Jesus obsolete. Does this make sense? You must agree Christianity has been painted with a WIDE brush some churches who claim Christianity are not thought of by others as Christians ,why is this because they have brought in there own ideas and doctrine that have NOTHING to do with the Bible and this turns many off.

I'm NOT trying to split hairs. I just saying Christ has some how gotten lost in the name of RELIGION. If each and every one of us were to follow HIS teachings as HE directed we would have no need for all these Christian denominations. We might find people more willing to be Christian if it weren't for all the division among ourselves.

No where in the Bible I find where Jesus gave one church complete control, the way I see it the people who believe in JESUS as there Saviour are HIS people. I don't need Christianity if it were to go obsolete, to keep my faith. It's what He did on the cross that makes me follow him not,Christianity.

Last edited by wildflower82; 02-17-2008 at 04:08 PM..

Old 02-17-2008, 03:43 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,467,471 times
Quote:
,why is this because they have brought in there own ideas and doctrine that have NOTHING to do with the Bible and this turns many off.
Subjective stance. People use the Bible all the time to back up their zany ideas. Just because you don't think it jives with what the Bible says doesn't mean it can't be used in some other format.

Quote:
I'm NOT trying to split hairs. I just saying Christ has some how gotten lost in the name of RELIGION. If each and every one of us were to follow HIS teachings as HE directed we would have no need for all these Christian denominations. We might find people more willing to be Christian if it weren't for all the division among ourselves.
Again, this is a subjective comment. You're saying Christ is lost in RELIGION. I put the word 'religion' in the vaguest of concepts to mean either ideology or interpretation. The problem seems to be that you are asserting that if each and every one of were to follow HIS teachings as HE directed we would have no need for these Christian denominations. I asked someone else the other night... What church do you attend and why? My best guess is you attend a certain church because it adheres to the word of Jesus Christ, or should I say, it adheres to YOUR interpretation of what Jesus Christ said the best. Right?

Quote:
No where in the Bible I find where Jesus gave one church complete control, the way I see it the people who believe in JESUS as there Saviour are HIS people. I don't need Christianity if it were to go obsolete, to keep my faith. It's what He did on the cross that makes me follow him not,Christianity.

I understand what you are saying but this is a non-sequitir. Even if Christianity folded up and went away the only thing you have left is people worshipping Jesus in the same subjective manner and asserting the same subjective religious overtones. The only thing Christianity does is organize all of these varying viewpoints into a collective voice under their own impression of whatever it was Jesus actually said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality