Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2008, 02:40 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,978,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .....think View Post
PLZ dont say the Muslims are the bad ones do i have bring up Christains top killers of the world again.

2nd no the bible hasnt been rewritten plz read the old testement before the new its like someone giving you a sticker now people are telling you the man is bad. and done awful stuff. your opion is bios. and reading the old shouldn't hurt because gods perfect ........right?...........or is he.......... read the old testament to find out more!!!!
You were mis understanding the Thread. We were talking about how both religions use Religion for there "DIRTY DEEDS".

Who said the Bible was rewritten!! I have read the O.T. not sure where your coming from!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
Kind of a sarcastic remark don't you think?

I wouldn’t care if Troop was a five year old. He has shown he is a logical intelligent kind person.
Anyway, he lasted longer than I did with my belief in God.
When I was seven and eight years old I remember praying many times for help to change the situation I was in. It did not change. When I was nine I started asking for a sign that there was a God. I got none. I stopped believing in God when I was ten years old.
I’ll be 59 this year and am still an atheist.

Peace,
Aeroman
I don't believe that's how TROOP took it. You had to been reading ALL of our posts. Never to late to re think!!

Old 02-23-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
This is the only thing I felt the need to address. It seems I gave out the wrong impression. I said I walked away from a belief in Jesus as a son of God and as God being some sort of omnipotent being. I think you're confusing "walked away" in terms of me approaching something as to "left my belief in God" in which I was always skeptical. From the earliest years of my life I could never quite do the mental gymnastics required to believe in God. I remember even at five years old thinking to myself in the shower "I think I believe in God, but how could something be there forever, and why is he watching me take a shower?"
This was quite funny!! I'm not sure why this comes so easy for some and not so easy for others. I do know it is a constant fight to keep grounded. I'm 46 and I have had my moments of walking away, just could never bring myself to it. God has shown me more then once that HE does exists and I get this real 'EMPTY' feeling when I even think of blowing it off. I'm with Jesus to the end and if He doesn't exists then I have LOST nothing.
Quote:
I had a girlfriend who was what I would call less than pushy but very strong in her convictions. She tried to teach me about Jesus, God, etc... Was I coming close to the idea? I'd be lying if I say I wasn't. I just couldn't get past the God concept. To me, Jesus is more of an after effect of God. In order for Jesus to be what the Bible claims he is than there must be a God and that particular deity MUST be the Christian one. Well, I find that to be wholly illogical.
Well, I was in my 20's I was very on the fence about Jesus, God placed a person in my life that was able to convince me, it only took 11 years. Who knows the same could happen too you!!

Quote:
As a side note, I was not raised to be an atheist. I was told from both parents that God was a very real entity. My logic as a five year old hasn't changed much from now. It's gotten a little more developed, but the same questions that my five year old mind wanted to ask are the same question my twenty-five year old mind feels have not been adequately answered.
Just between you and me I noticed you were different then most. These are the same questions, that even Christians can ask. Christians are not perfect and we don't (well some might) have all the answers either. Sometimes I wish God would just drop a note from the sky saying " It's all true"!!! until then I will just keep faith knowing He will reveal himself in His own time.

Quote:
Finally, I do look forward to more engaging conversation. Thank You.
Thanks for the respectful conversation. Really, wasn't sure what to expect and I'm not on the TOP Atheist list on CD right now, unless it would be to get rid of me!!

Old 02-23-2008, 07:03 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,656,069 times
bobmulk wrote:
Quote:
People have been saying for millenia that religion will pass away. The only ones who say it are the hatemongers who can't stand any religion--especially Christianity.

Religion will never go away. The very suggestion is beyond stupid.
I'm not a hatemonger but I honestly believe that all religious belief is just a stage in human development that will gradually fade away as the human race finally realizes that religion is not based on reality, it simply isn't true. That isn't intended to be an insult to religious people, it's just my honest opinion. We already see this happening to a certain extent when you compare the modern world in the twentyfirst century to the widely held beliefs of people a few hundred years ago. There is clearly a shift in thinking that is taking place but it tends to be a generational thing because individuals generally hold on to their beliefs for their entire lives. As new generations are exposed to the advancements in human knowledge it seems inevitable that at some point in the future religion will become something that is only read about in history books.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:04 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,886,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
bobmulk wrote:

I'm not a hatemonger but I honestly believe that all religious belief is just a stage in human development that will gradually fade away as the human race finally realizes that religion is not based on reality, it simply isn't true. That isn't intended to be an insult to religious people, it's just my honest opinion. We already see this happening to a certain extent when you compare the modern world in the twentyfirst century to the widely held beliefs of people a few hundred years ago. There is clearly a shift in thinking that is taking place but it tends to be a generational thing because individuals generally hold on to their beliefs for their entire lives. As new generations are exposed to the advancements in human knowledge it seems inevitable that at some point in the future religion will become something that is only read about in history books.
Montana...I tried to give ya some rep, said I had to spread it around before giving it to you again

Old 03-01-2008, 02:42 AM

1,217 posts, read 4,040,308 times
Visvaldis: Not sure what you mean. If only what could be explained?

Old 03-02-2008, 04:17 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,988,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophix View Post
I hate to blow it for most of you, but religion is a man-made creation that will very soon be exposed for what it is - a counterintuitive, destructive, manipulative organization that has been feeding off of people's vulnerability and weakness for years.

It's fake, people! I suppose, myself and other non-believers ("atheist" is such a dirty word with so many negative connotations, especially in the US) really wouldn't really give a hoot about this issue if so many religious fundies stopped trying to pass legislation which benefitted their bogus bibically-backed agenda.

When will Americans realize (as most in nearly every other developed nation) that the notion of a man sitting up in the clouds watching every move and every thought you make is utterly ridiculous! It's absolutely astounding to me that someone can actually believe that a man was born of a virgin, performed a bunch of miracles, and then died, and rose again. Especially with zero evidence to support this viewpoint.

Yet, these same religious fundies will balk at repeatable, proveable, time tested scientific research. It just doesn't make any sense.

As I'm sure has been stated on these forums before, you can "choose" (such a favorite word of fundies) to believe whatever you want. It's when you use collective mass ignorance to your benefit to pass or not pass legislation which limit the right of individuals or practices you deem "immoral" that becomes the problem.

I tell ya, unless something changes, this country is headed for disaster.
There is actually great deal of evidence to support the truth of the Bible, yet it appears that few have taken the time to consider what is written there in. When you spend your life trying to put a Book down, you often lose sight of what is written in it. I myself have seen the power of Christ in ways that few could believe. Perhaps it is the collective mass ignorance of those who donot have, or never read the Bible that is the real problem here. The Bible speaks of America in no less then three chapters in its prophecies and you are right, America is headed for disaster. And according to the Bible Americas end will come in one hours time, and all of her cities will burn. According to the bible, this event will happen around the time when the Jews will be returning from a world wide exile, and have returned to the land of Israel, and have retaken Jerusalem. The Bible tells us that at this time there will be great distress throught out the nations because of Israels rebirth. And the Bible tells us that the last great battle on earth will be for the control of Jerusalem. It appears that the author of the Bible must of known what He was talking about, considering current events. The prophecies of the Bible are very detailed. It's a shame few non believers have taken the time to consider them.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:22 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,482,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
There is actually great deal of evidence to support the truth of the Bible, yet it appears that few have taken the time to consider what is written there in. When you spend your life trying to put a Book down, you often lose sight of what is written in it. I myself have seen the power of Christ in ways that few could believe. Perhaps it is the collective mass ignorance of those who donot have, or never read the Bible that is the real problem here. The Bible speaks of America in no less then three chapters in its prophecies and you are right, America is headed for disaster. And according to the Bible Americas end will come in one hours time, and all of her cities will burn. According to the bible, this event will happen around the time when the Jews will be returning from a world wide exile, and have returned to the land of Israel, and have retaken Jerusalem. The Bible tells us that at this time there will be great distress throught out the nations because of Israels rebirth. And the Bible tells us that the last great battle on earth will be for the control of Jerusalem. It appears that the author of the Bible must of known what He was talking about, considering current events. The prophecies of the Bible are very detailed. It's a shame few non believers have taken the time to consider them.

Highly illogical claim. Think about it this way. What has really changed in regards to the Jews and the Middle East since the Bible was written? Not much. It's not really a prophecy if nothing has changed since the time it was written. Now, if the Bible had said "America will one day burn at the hands of Middle Eastern terrorists sneaking dirty bombs into every city in the U.S." then you might have me convinced. Again, let's try and put this in perspective... why are we assigning otherwise vague concepts to what we think it really means??

Old 03-02-2008, 05:54 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,318,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
That prophecy has taken place multiple times, like when they were conquered by the babylonians for an easy off the top of my head answer, but Isreal has been exiles and put back together again multiple times. And how bout that, the world is still here.

The bible dosen't talk about the future, it talks about the past.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:50 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,988,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Highly illogical claim. Think about it this way. What has really changed in regards to the Jews and the Middle East since the Bible was written? Not much. It's not really a prophecy if nothing has changed since the time it was written. Now, if the Bible had said "America will one day burn at the hands of Middle Eastern terrorists sneaking dirty bombs into every city in the U.S." then you might have me convinced. Again, let's try and put this in perspective... why are we assigning otherwise vague concepts to what we think it really means??
What I find Highly illogical is your claim that nothing much has changed in reguards to the Jews in the Middle East. The Bible states that in the latter days and in the latter years God would allow His people the Jews to return to the land of Israel and retake Jerusalem. And this would happen after a world wide exile. (Did you miss something alone the way.) Israel became a nation in 1948. Israel retook Jerusalem in 1967. And they took both southern Israel and Jerusalem in the order the Bible said they would. And you will find that order in Zec. chapter 12, verses 6 and 7. Starting in Ezekiel chapter 36 which you say is not a prophecy, it reads. "Also, thou son of man, (prophesy unto the mountains of Israel, and say, Ye mountains of Israel, hear the word of the Lord
It is the Bible that tells us it is a prophecy. And if you should take the time to read Ezekiel chapters 36,37,38,and 39, you would understand what is going to happen in the Middle East. And you can have confidence in this writing because much of it has already come to pass. What is illogical is to ignore facts that can be observed and are known to be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality