Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2008, 08:47 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times

Advertisements

[quote=mommiewrites;2831450]I will be a Christian until the day I die.

Regardless of what any person, country, or government has to say about it.

Prayers for everyone who is lost, and does not even know it.[/quote]

It's good that you believe what you believe,however I do not think it's fair of you to be judgmental of other peoples beliefs and religions,I do not believe the same as you,but I am not lost,not in my eyes or belief,I am not judgmental of your belief,you are entitled to that,and I am entitled to my belief.The animosities come in when we start being judgmental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 09:35 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Not to sound like this is being a smug retort but "which" church do you go to?
I'm not sure what you mean, Troop?

Are you saying that by going to a church it makes my comments invalid?

And I mean that in sincerity, not in a challenging way, because I can see that point of view.

(Also, thank you, MontanaGuy, I think you 'see' me.)

Old 02-14-2008, 09:55 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean, Troop?

Are you saying that by going to a church it makes my comments invalid?

And I mean that in sincerity, not in a challenging way, because I can see that point of view.

(Also, thank you, MontanaGuy, I think you 'see' me.)
No, I'm not saying your comments are invalid. I suppose, to me, that it does seem anti-productive to say that you hate religion but go to a 'specific' church. What I see is people talking about how they hate religion but go to a 'certain' Christian type church because it appeals to the message that the individual gets out of it. That, in essence, becomes the religion that we all seem to despise so much of.

I'm trying to word this the way I want because there's a specific thing I'm trying to address but it doesn't seem like I'm able to put it into context the way I want. Are you following what I'm saying or should I try again later?

Old 02-15-2008, 03:46 AM

932 posts, read 1,272,777 times
[quote=ptsum;2832350]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
I will be a Christian until the day I die.

Regardless of what any person, country, or government has to say about it.

Prayers for everyone who is lost, and does not even know it.[/quote]

It's good that you believe what you believe,however I do not think it's fair of you to be judgmental of other peoples beliefs and religions,I do not believe the same as you,but I am not lost,not in my eyes or belief,I am not judgmental of your belief,you are entitled to that,and I am entitled to my belief.The animosities come in when we start being judgmental.
Only he without sin can pass judgment. I do not fit that bill- none of us do. I have friends and family who are not believers- that is their personal choice. You can worship a ketchup bottle for all I care. But as a Christian, it is my responsibility to share what the truth is. whether or not it falls on deaf ears is beyond my control.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:21 AM

[quote=mommiewrites;2833809]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post

Only he without sin can pass judgment. I do not fit that bill- none of us do. I have friends and family who are not believers- that is their personal choice.

If you had stoped your comment right here, that would have been fine, however you didn't.

You can worship a ketchup bottle for all I care. This is where you become sarcastic.

But as a Christian, it is my responsibility to share what the truth is. whether or not it falls on deaf ears is beyond my control.
And this is where the rest of us have problems with some Christians, you seem to think that it is your God-given right to have to force upon us your religion when we are quite happy with our own, nobody likes to have something forced upon them. As to the truth, that could be interpreted many different ways, what you believe is truth, may not necessarily be the truth for me or anyone else as far as that goes. If Christians would learn to keep their religion to themselves and not be judgmental of others,and not try to force it upon others who do not wish to have it, I think there would be a lot less animosity.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:52 AM

932 posts, read 1,272,777 times
I don't force it on anyone. Here you are 'assuming' I am. I have friends who did not know I was a 'Christian' until it came up in conversation. I have a sister who practices Buddhism. I married a man who was Buddhist (by family, not practice) and did not convert to Christianity until 10 years into our marriage. And that was from his own heart- I had never once tried to push the fact on him. I loved him for who HE was. I always said it would take an act of God for him to even show interest in Christianity. I was right!

My mother is as agnostic as a person can get. Her husband is Jewish. My grandparents are Catholic. So you see- religious (and not so religious) beliefs run the whole spectrum all around me- and not one would ever say I was pushy or rude or mean or...well..whatever other adjective you'd like to insert.

I feel comfortable sharing my beliefs, and do believe I should. That does not mean I'm going to hit you upside the head with my Bible .

And yes, I'm sarcastic often. It's one of the services I provide! Christians ARE allowed to have a sense of humor! ( although, I have known many who don't have much! )

Old 02-15-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
I don't force it on anyone. Here you are 'assuming' I am. I have friends who did not know I was a 'Christian' until it came up in conversation. I have a sister who practices Buddhism. I married a man who was Buddhist (by family, not practice) and did not convert to Christianity until 10 years into our marriage. And that was from his own heart- I had never once tried to push the fact on him. I loved him for who HE was. I always said it would take an act of God for him to even show interest in Christianity. I was right!

My mother is as agnostic as a person can get. Her husband is Jewish. My grandparents are Catholic. So you see- religious (and not so religious) beliefs run the whole spectrum all around me- and not one would ever say I was pushy or rude or mean or...well..whatever other adjective you'd like to insert.

I feel comfortable sharing my beliefs, and do believe I should. That does not mean I'm going to hit you upside the head with my Bible .

And yes, I'm sarcastic often. It's one of the services I provide! Christians ARE allowed to have a sense of humor! ( although, I have known many who don't have much! )
While I'm glad to see that we do have something in common,A sense of humor,And I can see where you have been exposed to many different religions,That is good,You seem to have made a very wise and informative choice based on your exposure to the different religions and cultures,Very few people ever do such a thing. I do have a question?If it is of no imposition
to you,Perhaps you would tell me what you have learned from the other religions and cultures.I asked this question only as to be more informative,You see it is my belief that the more you learn about other cultures and religions, the more tolerant we become.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:16 PM

265 posts, read 615,312 times
responding to: Religion will eventually become obsolete
aaah nope!

as long as man is around and his desire to esteem something must be satisfied, even if it's himself, know this, religion aint going nowhere.

religion is also doctrine and as long as someone wants to know something, and as long as children are born, and teaching must be done, religion aint goin nowhere.

as long as man has a soul and since those who are spiritual-minded will always be around religion aint goin nowhere.

as long as somebody, somewhere got a prayer to pray, religion anit goin nowhere.

really, it aint.

teehee

Old 02-15-2008, 12:18 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal-sea View Post
as long as man has a soul and since those who are spiritual-minded will always be around religion aint goin nowhere.
How does a man lose his soul?

Old 02-15-2008, 12:36 PM

56 posts, read 98,747 times
Religion and Science are very different.

Science observes and experiments with the physical world.

Religion is often about people having a connected relationship to that which is beyond both time and the material world.

I like them both.

And I don't see religion going away anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality