Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2008, 02:48 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,955,592 times

Advertisements

I think you all are trying to differentiate following the philsophy Christianity (the teachings of Jesus) Vs. the Religion of Christianity (institutions based on the teachings of Jesus).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 02:55 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,703,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
I think you all are trying to differentiate following the philsophy Christianity (the teachings of Jesus) Vs. the Religion of Christianity (institutions based on the teachings of Jesus).
is this not what Jesus was doing to begin with, he was teaching the people on how to treat one another and how to believe in a creator. Is this not what a teacher does.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:02 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,404,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
I'm actually trying to show that there is not a clear difference between the two.
I'm well aware of the debate about legalism in institutions - and I certainly agree with Christians who are against that sort of thing.
But Christians are Christian because they believe in things like the Bible and whatever else their particular brand likes. Basically, to say that Christianity is not a religion but a beacon of truth to be experienced individually is just another affirmation of Christianity - which is a religion.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:05 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,955,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
I'm actually trying to show that there is not a clear difference between the two.
I'm well aware of the debate about legalism in institutions - and I certainly agree with Christians who are against that sort of thing.
But Christians are Christian because they believe in things like the Bible and whatever else their particular brand likes. Basically, to say that Christianity is not a religion but a beacon of truth to be experienced individually is just another affirmation of Christianity - which is a religion.
I'm actually on your side of the fence on this one -- I was just trying to help with terminology I am a Christian and I do consider it a religion. It's not necessarily a religion that is bad or good (in most cases) but how the adherent interprets it. I also feel that religion without question is a bad idea.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:11 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,928,888 times
OK.

Let me clear this up and see if I can boil it down for us all.

Most of you guys know I'm a lay youth leader at my church.

My youth group wanted a 'name' for the group. So we started talking about how I always say I hate religion.

Finally we came up with a 'name': The J127 Crew.

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. James 1:27

That's about as close to 'religion' as I ever want to get.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:24 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,703,233 times
Most Native American cultures do not have what is commonly known as a religion, we have a belief, a belief in a creator, we live our life to help one another, those of our family, extended family, and anyone within the family unit or tribe as you might call it, and our surroundings, how we treat people, how we respect people, and teach others to respect other people, to us this is not a religion, but a way of life, so I guess you could say it's a lifestyle. The separating of the teacher from the man-made religion is something that I can believe in. I see your Jesus as a teacher of people. This I do understand.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:19 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,678,195 times
Alpha wrote:
Quote:
My youth group wanted a 'name' for the group. So we started talking about how I always say I hate religion.
I've heard alot of people like yourself who deeply believe in God express that same opinion. It strikes me that as any movement grows it tends to take on certain characteristics and can be corrupted by human behavior. Human beings are often motivated by greed, arrogance and a desire for power which can influence a religious institution as much as a political institution. As you know I'm not religious but I can appreciate your thoughts on this subject because it sounds like you're saying that the core principles and beliefs of Christianity are really all that matters as opposed to the power and influence of any religious organization. Even though I'm an atheist that makes alot of sense to me.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:34 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,497,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
OK.

Let me clear this up and see if I can boil it down for us all.

Most of you guys know I'm a lay youth leader at my church.

Finally we came up with a 'name': The J127 Crew.

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. James 1:27

That's about as close to 'religion' as I ever want to get.
Not to sound like this is being a smug retort but "which" church do you go to?

Old 02-14-2008, 07:11 PM

932 posts, read 1,281,136 times
I will be a Christian until the day I die.

Regardless of what any person, country, or government has to say about it.

Prayers for everyone who is lost, and does not even know it.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:19 PM

599 posts, read 1,264,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
I will be a Christian until the day I die.

Regardless of what any person, country, or government has to say about it.

Prayers for everyone who is lost, and does not even know it.
Amen and amen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality