Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 03:30 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,664,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
corrupt and false. like the majority of humanity.
the dark ages will soon come again.
The "Dark Ages"? Back again? Soon?!

You're jokin', right?! I doubt you really believe that.
But, then again, you might. I see a lot of off-the-wall stuff people believe on this board. Matter of fact...that is some of what I find so interesting about it. So, it's cool...believe that if you want to. Not like it's gonna change what is really going to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 03:40 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,076,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The "Dark Ages"? Back again? Soon?!

You're jokin', right?! I doubt you really believe that.
But, then again, you might. I see a lot of off-the-wall stuff people believe on this board. Matter of fact...that is some of what I find so interesting about it. So, it's cool...believe that if you want to. Not like it's gonna change what is really going to be.
Yes, it was a joke. What I meant was that Christianity and the The Bible 10 episode series will Enlighten our Nation to science and math and logic and ethics.
Well, What is funny is that they would NEVER make the ACTUAL BIBLE into any sort of series, because its so evil and boring and weird.
I thought the Irony of your comment about Hawkins series was far too truthful. Cherry picking and biased interpretations is all the slothful followers will be exposed to. The oppression, corruption, and self-congratulation from theists in the school systems which you laughed and congratulated was also too pitiable, since it weakens a Nation.

And it's all due to atheist complacency. Scientific complacency as well. Taking over the "community centers" and Sunday propaganda, would do the Anti-religious some good, but they are too complacent to see that. All it needs is a little free-market competition and monopoly busting.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 03-11-2013 at 04:09 AM..

Old 03-11-2013, 03:44 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,639,363 times
The dark ages aren't coming anytime soon. Maybe for followers of Satan. This world is getting ready to be shaken up by the manifestation of Heaven on Earth. It's going to be an atheist and scientist worst nightmare because there will be nowhere to run from the truth. The supernatural will become a part of day to day life. There will be a massive influx of Christianity. We ain't going nowhere. The Bible miniseries is just the beginning.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The dark ages aren't coming anytime soon. Maybe for followers of Satan. This world is getting ready to be shaken up by the manifestation of Heaven on Earth. It's going to be an atheist and scientist worst nightmare because there will be nowhere to run from the truth. The supernatural will become a part of day to day life. There will be a massive influx of Christianity. We ain't going nowhere. The Bible miniseries is just the beginning.
The dark ages are coming to Satanists? Doubtful. Dark Ages only follow religious fundamentalism, and Satanism is a joke of a religion. It barely believes itself, so it would have a hard time to chain its followers and those born into that religious tradition in any extensive ways.

The Manifestation of Heaven on Earth is going to shake this world? Doubtful, We have been waiting for the Supermans of Mythology to get around to doing their jobs for quite a long time, and will continue to do so. All that waiting for Superman inspires is Slothfulness... but I suppose that is good given an intrinsic corruption of human volition (which is often touted by the Religious, from self-experience and self-awareness, I suppose.)

An atheists' worst nightmare? Perhaps; but surely it will be worse for the followers of false religions than for atheists, who believe in one less god than monotheists. It pities one to think of How God would punish those who LIED about God, surely more than those who believed such an invisible being didn't exist.

Scientists, on the otherhand, will be in awe and happiness to find more mysteries to explore, since Heaven and all other imaginable extra realms are a Bigger Mystery than Earth.

Once the supernatural becomes a part of everyday life, it will be by default natural, and we will have to look forward to the ubersupernatural for any sense of poetic mystery and betterment.

You expect a massive influx of Christianity? Doubtful, since the vast majorities of Christianities are false to you and other Christians, chances say that even if one version of Christianity was right, you would belong to one of the false versions.

You didn't go anywhere during the Dark Ages either, except perhaps on war campaigns and murder sprees. Hopefully the Bible miniseries will inspire more public discussion of religion which will help it end.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 03-11-2013 at 04:10 AM..

Old 03-11-2013, 04:03 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,401,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
apples and oranges. Completely different thing. Those epic poems are written as literature...the Bible presents itself as history. Again...if we hadn't actually verified so many of the Biblical places as fact....you might have a point. There's just so much reason to believe that it is factual.
The Bible 'presents itself' as history? Think about your statement for awhile.

A few stories about various well known people and places etc may have some ties in with historical fact, but how does that prove that everything in the Bible is factual? There is too much that has been proven to NOT be historical fact.

Wishful thinking doesn't cut it.

Last edited by Ceist; 03-11-2013 at 04:13 AM..

Old 03-11-2013, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Because they act like they don't have a clue what it says?
That's your perception, not fact. Perhaps you could learn the difference some time?

Old 03-11-2013, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
More like they read only to seek out those words and phrases which prove their own points. they have more in common with fundamentalist Christians than they imagine.
Many fundamentalists haven't read the whole Bible, let alone studied it. Which is obvious when I and others quote text they have never even heard of.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Because they act like they don't have a clue what it says?
Sort of what people think of you as it relates to Science books?

Old 03-11-2013, 04:29 AM

Quote:
If you were to actually think about my post, you would see that you and I hold very similar views on this matter.

You also do not take into account oral traditions, which can chronicle events accurately and transmit them through the generations.

And yes, there is evidence, thin as it is, that there were a tribe of people in Egypt who "might" have been the Hebrews. Names do not translate well from language to language, particularly over time. To use the Homeric example, Homer refers to the "Achaeans" and the Hittites write about a kingdom called "Achaeawa" which we are pretty sure refers to those whom we call "Myceneans" I said in my post that this is not proof that Homer wrote history, but that there was a cultural context for the Iliad.

To return to the biblical thing, the fact that cities named in the bible actually existed, as proven through archaeology, is proof that there is at least some "history" contained therein. I contend that there may well have been cities that the ancient Hebrews called "Sodom" and "Gomorrah" which the ancient Hebrews considered evil places, just as anti homosexual people may consider San Francisco an evil place and fundamentalist Muslims may consider the USA an evil place. I consider these things and base my conclusions on what I know and research.

IMHO there is no reason to doubt that the Assyrians conquered the Kingdom of David and carried off many of its residents east. There is no reason to disbelieve that Cyrus released the Hebrews and permitted their return to their homeland, there is no reason to disbelieve that Nehemiah organized the building of the temple. Etc.

For non believers, there is much to disbelieve in the bible. But there is a fair share of history there too.
I don't disagree that there might be a little historical info in the Bible amongst all the myths, poetry, and religious spin. But just because a place might have physically existed in historical times doesn't mean that all the myths and stories told about it are true. It also doesn't mean that every place mentioned is factual.

I did question your strawman statements like this one:
200 years ago the intelligentsia believed that the biblical stories about a place called Babylon were thought to be fiction. Yet archaeology has proven there was such a place, and the multitude of cuneiform tables substantiate the chronology of the kings of that city.

Consider that 200 years ago the elites and the intelligentsia though that Babylon was a fiction. Knowing what we know now, can anyone deny the existence of the place? And given the existence, does the thinking person suppose that maybe there is no reason to disbelieve the stories told about the Hebrews in captivity there?

200 years ago the elites and intelligentsia determined that Homer's Iliad was pure fiction
Where is your proof of these claims? Who were these 'elites and intelligentsia'? Names please. It's the sort of unsupported word worming snake oil salesmen claims Apologist sources make for their gullible readers who don't know any better. All you need to add after a series of statements like that is a few "Give me an Amen!!" "Hallelujah!" "Praise the Lord!" and you have all the mind numbed sheep nodding their heads in unison and Hallelujahing.

Last edited by Ceist; 03-11-2013 at 04:49 AM..

Old 03-11-2013, 04:54 AM

Quote:
IMHO there is no reason to doubt that the Assyrians conquered the Kingdom of David and carried off many of its residents east. There is no reason to disbelieve that Cyrus released the Hebrews and permitted their return to their homeland, there is no reason to disbelieve that Nehemiah organized the building of the temple. Etc.
There is plenty of reason to doubt when there is no evidence for it and there is evidence against it.
Quote:
For non believers, there is much to disbelieve in the bible. But there is a fair share of history there too.
You're entitled to your opinion. If you want to try to back it up with evidence, feel free to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality