Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 02:35 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,936,014 times

Advertisements

Banned from the Bible - History Channel - YouTube

Banned from the Bible is a documentary television series that originally aired on the History Channel as Time Machine: Banned from the Bible in 2003. Banned from the Bible discusses the ancient books that did not become part of the Biblical canon. The series was continued with Banned from the Bible II in 2007.

Banned From the Bible II - History Channel - YouTube

Banned from the Bible II continues from the original documentary Banned from the Bible, and was aired on The History Channel. The documentary introduces several books that were excluded from the biblical canon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 04:04 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,183,566 times
I sometimes like to watch those shows to laugh at them. They have the same liberal "theologians" that always talk about the supposed conspiracy to keep the "Gospel of Judas" or some other obviously bad text out of the Bible. It's just not very convincing to anyone that has a clue.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:05 PM

737 posts, read 1,148,417 times
Take any religious show on The History Channel with a grain of salt.

The books were not banned. Some were too similar to others. Some weren't true and were written many years later.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:25 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times
Cool! Writings about Jesus. Extrabiblical writings no less. Good stuff!

Old 11-18-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned

continue to expose your ignorance about history of your religion and Christianity. i present stuff done by archaeologists, bible scholars and historians who have evidence which you deliberately ignore. i will continue to post more stuff like this for others on CD who are interested in learning something they won't learn in churches and on christian TV.

Last edited by june 7th; 11-25-2012 at 11:56 AM..

Old 11-18-2012, 04:44 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,183,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
continue to expose your ignorance about history of your religion and Christianity. i present stuff done by archaeologists, bible scholars and historians who have evidence which you deliberately ignore. i will continue to post more stuff like this for others on CD who are interested in learning something they won't learn in churches and on christian TV.
let us know when you have something to present from a real theologian or archaeologist.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
That's why we take what you say with a grain of salt. We doubt your sources---you throw ad hominems.

Why the hate, Chung?
quit the reverse psychology i am not the one that is living by a book called the bible written by primitive goat herders, copied many times edited many times, translated many times and have books remove and added by a committee of religious clergy(canonizations) to the point we don't have original copies and then get all upset when somebody points to historical facts of how the bible which produced which took centuries because they don't agree with your religion you have been indoctrinated with

Old 11-18-2012, 05:53 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,801,738 times
I watched the documentaries a year or so ago. I thought they were really interesting. Of course, one has to be able to watch any documentary with an open mind. If a subject is particularly intriguing to you, you have to be prepared to explore both sides. I had never heard of many of the currently extra-Biblical books until I watched these and until I began to read authors outside my pastor's approved reading list. Very interesting stuff to me.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:01 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,352 times
Quote:
let us know when you have something to present from a real theologian or archaeologist.
Would that include the ancient Sumerian clay tablets?

They've been around for some 7,000 years, while the ancient Hebrews only came along about 3,800 years ago. Pretty close to Biblical History, but much older. Pretty obvious where the early part of the old testament came from. At least up to the flood, circa 2845 BC. (And, the ancient Hebrews, and the Bible, came along about a thousand years later.)

Then, there's the "apacrypha", which is often thought to have come from the ancient Hebrews, but no one knows just who, so it's not "canonized" text. Yet, archaeologists often use these verses to help locate sites to dig., or to identify locations that they find.

There are a number of genuine archaeologists that have been working on the ancient Sumerian Clay Tablets, decyphering them and translating them. Look them up. They're available online. And, since they are older than the Bible, they may be far closer to the truth. That man was created to serve GOD. Mankind were slaves to the GODs. But, where the Sumerians had a "Triad" made up of 3 GODS, and a whole pantheon of GODs, we have the "Holy Trinity" and a whole pantheon of Angels (a term that comes from the Greek word for Messenger) which would be about the same as the "Lessor GODs" of Sumerian Pantheon. And, at one point, in the old testament, those "lessor GODs were referred to as "Watchers".

You might want to do a bit more research before you throw everything out the window as invalid.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:57 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,156,521 times
Quote:
I sometimes like to watch those shows to laugh at them. They have the same liberal "theologians" that always talk about the supposed conspiracy to keep the "Gospel of Judas" or some other obviously bad text out of the Bible. It's just not very convincing to anyone that has a clue.
Why is it "obviously bad text?"

What criteria do you use?

Conspiring...

Mircea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality