Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:37 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,915,754 times

Advertisements

Guys(and gals),

I know these things can get heated and people can get easily upset, but as a mod here, I'd like to ask a favor.

When you are addressing specific issues with another post, please address the points, not the poster.

Some of these replies are very close to personal attacks and at the very least are worded in a way to be inflammatory.

Instead of saying "You don't know what you're talking about", can we say "Many times this has been misinterpreted"?

I'm just telling you folks that we(the mods here) will not allow these discussions spiral down to insults and flame wars but we'd love to able to keep that from happening by asking you to address the issues, not the issuer, rather than having to issue infractions.

If you guys will 'self moderate', it makes our jobs easier.

Thanks

Last edited by Alpha8207; 10-15-2007 at 07:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 08:45 AM

58 posts, read 137,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmousern View Post
Just discussed this in a class I am taking. The same passage was brought up for discussion. I had assumed the "us " was an early reference to the trinity. The reference helps of my bible however said that when God was creating the world he was speaking to divine beings in his "heavenly court" so it was stated as us. Also said that it was alluding to mankinds godlike rule over fish birds and animals. Kind of a royal status.
Is this a college class? If so, you will learn a lot about the bible and more importantly, the theories that approach it. If you have any questions from the class about a translation or interpretation from the Jewish standpoint, feel free to ask me in public/private.

Just a side note, I don't read the bible in English. Although I do admit that I read some of the commentary in English because my aramaic is not as good as I'd like it to be.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:59 AM

448 posts, read 1,052,007 times
Yes it is a Bible as Literature class. So the topic is not specifically how you interpret the bible, but more how it was written, the setting in which it is written, perspective of the authors. It is interesting. It is a liberal arts choice I made to finish my degree. I am a nontrad (41 yrs old) So it is cute to read the discussions of the 19 year olds with no religious exposure in the class. " I think God is mean!" It's been fun and challenging.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:56 PM

30,438 posts, read 52,109,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y'honatan View Post
Or its because on this paticular subject (Hebrew grammar)... you don't know the language. I do; I speak it fluently. In fact, English is my second language... Speaking of which, I don't understand your sentance about good company.
I speak Hebrew as well (though not fluently), and don't think there's any need to belittle the other members... please keep your discussions civil/non-personal, as Alpha has already reminded everyone.

Oh, and I moved this to general religion, along with the other Genesis question. Considering they don't come from the NT, these questions are relevant to both Judaism and Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality