Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 05:48 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times

Advertisements

There no end to the messiness found in Biblical translations. Take for example Genesis 3:15 which Christians love to tout as the first promise God made to send Jesus to save mankind. But does it really refer to Jesus, or is it just some vague obscure mumbo-jumbo that nobody but a Hebrew scribe could dream up?

Here are three translations:

Quote:
King James Bible
And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; IT shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
Quote:
Douay-Rheims Bible
I will put enmities between thee and the woman, and thy seed and her seed: she shall crush thy head, and thou shalt lie in wait for her heel.
Quote:
New International Version
And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel."
A fourth translation which I found quoted but cannot get a reference to reads:

Quote:
And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her seed; they shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise their heel.
So we have three and possibly four different pronouns for who the offspring of the woman is. Any experts in Hebrew in here? What Hebrew word is used for the bolded pronoun referring to the woman's offspring? Is it properly translated as "he", "she", "it" or "they"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 06:53 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,541,306 times
As an educated person I see no differences in what is being said in your examples. The serpent is going to suffer enmity and is gonna have its head crushed at some point in the future.

This is like someone who takes four translations of the Bible where it says "the sky is blue". Four translations each give a different shade of blue. Does it matter? Maybe to the skeptic, who wishes to prove the Bible as bunk. Ah! says the skeptic we have contradictions and inconsistences. But objectively, the reader who is simply reading for truth understands the Bible is saying the sky is blue. Has to do with style of translation more than anything else. The picked shade of Blue is not as important as saying the sky is Blue.

No really messy, unless you want it to be so. Mole hill-mountain sort of thing.

Last edited by Mr5150; 07-30-2015 at 07:06 PM..

Old 07-30-2015, 07:02 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,347,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
There no end to the messiness found in Biblical translations. Take for example Genesis 3:15 which Christians love to tout as the first promise God made to send Jesus to save mankind. But does it really refer to Jesus, or is it just some vague obscure mumbo-jumbo that nobody but a Hebrew scribe could dream up?

Here are three translations:

So we have three and possibly four different pronouns for who the offspring of the woman is. Any experts in Hebrew in here? What Hebrew word is used for the bolded pronoun referring to the woman's offspring? Is it properly translated as "he", "she", "it" or "they"?
There seems to be some implication that Jesus is actually nowhere to be found in Genesis 3:15. That will only be true on the day that fact begins to carry more weight of evidence then faith. And on that day they will have to pull my Bible from my cold, dead hands! Or where ever it was that I left it.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:12 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,998 times
I don't think this at all proves what you want it to.

A change in pronoun isn't really that important to changing the meaning. In relation to this passage predicting the Messiah, I'd call that out as being moronic. To say this is a Jesus prediction is probably the most prolific definition of 'grasping for straws.' It's utter nonsense.

But as far as arguing mistranslations or inaccuracies in the Bible, this really does nothing to further your point.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:30 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,022,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; they shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise their heel.' {S}

- Genesis 3 / Hebrew - English Bible / Mechon-Mamre

Old 07-30-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
As an educated person I see no differences in what is being said in your examples. The serpent is going to suffer enmity and is gonna have its head crushed at some point in the future.

This is like someone who takes four translations of the Bible where it says "the sky is blue". Four translations each give a different shade of blue. Does it matter? Maybe to the skeptic, who wishes to prove the Bible as bunk. Ah! says the skeptic we have contradictions and inconsistences. But objectively, the reader who is simply reading for truth understands the Bible is saying the sky is blue. Has to do with style of translation more than anything else. The picked shade of Blue is not as important as saying the sky is Blue.

No really messy, unless you want it to be so. Mole hill-mountain sort of thing.

Blue???...That is the most idiotic statement that I have seen...The pronoun is speaking of more than one person, in both instances...That makes a world of difference if you are trying to say that this is about Jesus...

Old 07-30-2015, 07:52 PM

1,422 posts, read 950,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; they shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise their heel.' {S}

- Genesis 3 / Hebrew - English Bible / Mechon-Mamre
Metaphorical of the 'reptilian brain' being out-ranked by the evolution of the human brain and yet still being able to cause the human to stumble,

Old 07-30-2015, 10:07 PM

19,970 posts, read 13,459,195 times
As Daffy Duck once said: "Hmmm ... pronoun trouble!!"

Old 07-30-2015, 10:24 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
As Daffy Duck once said: "Hmmm ... pronoun trouble!!"
There were no pronouns in the Hebrew. In fact, there were no helpful grammatic elements at all. There were just 9 Hebrew characters (words) that if we simply put their typical translations together in the same order they appeared it would simply read:

Put enmity woman seed seed bruise head bruise heel

You get to decide how to make that an English sentence including pronouns.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There were no pronouns in the Hebrew. In fact, there were no helpful grammatic elements at all. There were just 9 Hebrew characters (words) that if we simply put their typical translations together in the same order they appeared it would simply read:

Put enmity woman seed seed bruise head bruise heel

You get to decide how to make that an English sentence including pronouns.

Ya got that wrong...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality