Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 10:20 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,550,130 times

Advertisements

I considered myself agnostic for quite a long time, even though I do believe Jesus Christ is our savior. I considered myself agnostic because

1- I couldn't honestly say I "know" this to be true, I believe it, and
2- I can't fully believe or follow any one particular religion. I lean toward Christian beliefs, but I definitely have lots of questions. I do respect (I hope that's the right word) all religions and the right not to believe in or follow any religion.

So, does this make me Christian or agnostic, or just really confused!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 10:43 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,764,691 times
Strictly speaking, we are all agnostic as no-one can be entirely sure. That said, there are those who choose to accept their mental chats with God, elevated feelings, purpose in life, persuasion that the Bible is true or at least true in all the important respects or in some other way to be good enough reason to believe in Christianity or at least in God or a 'god' of some sort.

So it is actually quite reasonable to be at least an Christian agnostic who admits that they can't be sure, if they are convinced that it stacks up.

There are those who are more inclined to dwell on this agnostic aspect and they are (I might guess) those who have become aware that the facts upon which they base their acceptance of Christianity are not as sound as they would like. Those appear (to me) to look for back -up reasons to believe, such as the need for Christianity without which Civilization would collapse, morality would vanish, charitable work would cease, Totalitarian dictators would run a world in which anyone not fit to join the Hitler Youth would be exterminated by soullessly logical scientists without a flicker of compassion.
Or the other line of tinkering with definitions, semantics and misrepresentations of what atheism is in order to discredit it. I wonder whether those are making a last ditch attempt in the only way possible to stave of acceptance of the monicker.

However, as I say, if you are persuaded that Christianity is pretty much validated by some facts or others, then, while admitting some agnostic uncertainty, belief is quite understandable.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:45 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,225,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Strictly speaking, we are all agnostic as no-one can be entirely sure. That said, there are those who choose to accept their mental chats with God, elevated feelings, purpose in life, persuasion that the Bible is true or at least true in all the important respects or in some other way be convinced to believe in Christianity or at least in God or a 'god' of some sort.

So it is actually quite reasonable to be at least an agnostic who admits that they can't be sure, if they are convinced.

There are those who are more inclined to dwell on this agnostic aspect and they are (I might guess) those who have become aware that the facts upon which they base their acceptance of Christianity is not as sound as they would like. Those appear (to me) to look for back -up reasons to believe, such as the need for Christianity without which Civilization would collapse, morality would vanish, charitable work would cease, Totalitarian dictators would run a world in which anyone not fit to join the Hitler Youth would be exterminated by soullessly logical scientists without a flicker of compassion.
Or the other line of tinkering with definitions, semantics and misrepresentations of what atheism is in order to discredit it. I wonder whether those are making a last ditch attempt in the only way possible to stave of acceptance of the monicker.

However, as I say, if you are persuaded that Christianity is pretty much validated by some facts or others, then, while admitting some agnostic uncertainty, belief is quite understandable.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:00 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,900,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
I do believe Jesus Christ is our savior .... does this make me Christian
Yeah, I think that definitely makes you a Christian.

I think it is very reasonable for a Christian to not believe every word of the bible. It was written by men, some of whom never even met Jesus, and they could have easily gotten some things wrong.

Why did your god make it so hard for you to uncover the real truth? Well, he gave you a good brain and he wanted you to use it. So far, I think you are doing pretty well.

Of course, since I am an Atheist, I may not know everything about Christianity, but I have been raised in a Christian culture and I think I understand it pretty well. Sometimes it helps to be an outsider to see things more clearly.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:41 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,136,457 times
Quote:
I considered myself agnostic for quite a long time, even though I do believe Jesus Christ is our savior. I considered myself agnostic because

2- I can't fully believe or follow any one particular religion. I lean toward Christian beliefs, but I definitely have lots of questions. I do respect (I hope that's the right word) all religions and the right not to believe in or follow any religion.

Those who believe a 100% are believers. Those who doubt somewhat (on the scale), are agnostics. Those who don't believe 100% are atheists.

If you doubt, (as a possibility) that makes you an agnostic.

I am a believer by nature. If I believe something, I believe 100%. I know in my mind that all I have is a belief and it may not be true, but I still don't doubt in my heart. That's a sign of a believer.

Agnostics doubt in their heart.

Atheists are convinced that they are true in their heart.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:41 PM

28,103 posts, read 30,002,142 times
Quote:

Personally, I think this just makes you more honest than most people. When one person claims to "know" one thing and someone else claims to "know" something that is completely opposite, one of them is either simply mistaken or lying. I have found that, for me, it works best to say, "I am convinced that..." This simply means that based upon my own personal study and prayer, I have come to certain conclusions. It means that I feel strongly that what I believe is true, but it still leaves the possibility open that I could be wrong. I am truly cautious about believing anyone who says, "I know..." since virtually all of us are merely walking by faith and doing the best we can with what knowledge we have. To say, "I know" is essentially saying, "My mind is closed to any new knowledge." I think that's a big mistake for any of us.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:49 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,550,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Strictly speaking, we are all agnostic as no-one can be entirely sure. That said, there are those who choose to accept their mental chats with God, elevated feelings, purpose in life, persuasion that the Bible is true or at least true in all the important respects or in some other way to be good enough reason to believe in Christianity or at least in God or a 'god' of some sort.

So it is actually quite reasonable to be at least an Christian agnostic who admits that they can't be sure, if they are convinced that it stacks up.

There are those who are more inclined to dwell on this agnostic aspect and they are (I might guess) those who have become aware that the facts upon which they base their acceptance of Christianity are not as sound as they would like. Those appear (to me) to look for back -up reasons to believe, such as the need for Christianity without which Civilization would collapse, morality would vanish, charitable work would cease, Totalitarian dictators would run a world in which anyone not fit to join the Hitler Youth would be exterminated by soullessly logical scientists without a flicker of compassion.

Thanks. Between you and me, I think that some (definitely not all) who are so passionately determined to convince others of their beliefs are maybe unknowingly trying to convince themselves in the process.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:22 PM

1,196 posts, read 754,954 times
I know many wherever I go might not like me, though I’m kind and not respectful. Because I always seem to be saying the opposite of what many say. But than again, I’m a Jws, so I’m “not to be believed” it’s ok though, as I’ve said many times, I’m sent by Jesus to those who’s truly seeking. I don’t come thinking I know everything, I don’t. but I will say what I do know, even if others feel I don’t. because I come with Jehovah’s Holy Spirit. He WON’T let one teach wrong.

Though satan has have man remove and added to God’s words. Still once learning the truth, one will know God’s words from satan. When we come on our own, we will teach what we want others to believe. I don’t want anyone to believe me, because I’m nothing. Someone basically said the bible isn’t God’s word, but it is, (2Cor.3:5 ,1Thess.2:13 and 1Tim.2:3,4- For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth).
Jehovah did use those men, pouring his HS over them. And it doesn’t matter long since the event it was. Paul didn’t believe in Jesus teachings, thought his was the truth. And making sure all Jesus followers who were teaching what Jesus taught, arrested, until Jesus ,(once in Heaven), stopped Paul, who was headed out to find more of Jesus followers, converted him. Paul soon started teaching what he taught was wrong…Jesus truth! ,(Acts.8:3,4 and Acts.9:1-20).

Maybe you’re seeking and don’t know it, or don’t really want to. But sorry, I mean this in the kindest way, you are confused. Many of us were at one point,( some might thing I still am) lol. Every person who’s baptized are “Christians” because they believe in Jesus, But do we really? Jesus shows over and over, he has a Father, (John 10:30 -I and my Father are one), and (John 14:6 -Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me).

Yet many of those same believers, call Jesus a lie. Those who say, I don’t!, if you’re,( speaking in general), shown Jesus words of this, yet still argue he’s the Father, you’re calling him a liar! Some say they believe in “god” or God, yet they only believe some words. Mostly the ones that don’t make their wrong doings, seem so wrong! I know this to be true, because I’ve heard many quote God’s word when it helps them look good. But then once you throw back god’s word which show them their wrong. They then say, “man wrote the bible anyway”, sad!

I believed in a god, at one time, just because someone said there was one, I was so confused. And I didn’t want anyone to pamper my confusion by telling me things that didn’t help, I needed to know the truth. Jesus show those who’s seeking, will find,(Luke 11:9). If we ask Jehovah God for the truth he will give it to us, (verse 10). Jesus showed he teach what his Father wanted ,(John 15:15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you).

We also have to believe Jesus have a Father, (John 3:16,17). Understand!…that’s it’s NOT Jesus will who we MUST do, but his Father’s will. IF.. we want to be seen as Jesus spiritual siblings, (Matt.12:50). Though many REFUSE to learn about Jehovah God. We have to IF, we want to understand ALL that Jesus taught, (John 6:44,45- No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me).

There’s NO other way around it. We should want the truth, as the Father wanted us to know, (Psa.119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path). Why would anyone believe the Father sent his son here JUST to die for us? He also wanted us to learn the truth. He already knew satan was going to turn people away from him. Or confuse us with his lies and tricks, he did it to eve! ,(Gen.3:4,5 ).

soon ALL false teachers and teachings will be done away with, (Rev.13:13-18, speaks of false religion, having the mark of the beast), (Rev.2:14,20-23) ,(Rev.14:8-12), (Rev.18:2-11), you have the right to choose or NOT choose any. And for the many who says, this isn’t in reference of religion,…(verses 18-24 of the same chapter speaks of many,( and this can be taken literally), basically sad because false religion is gone. After all, it’s many religion that makes it seem ok , (in a round-a-bout way),to live a way unpleasing to God.

And many stores benefits from the “christian holidays. The best proof of false religion going-down proof,.. (verse 23 "And the light of a candle shall shine no more at all in thee; and the voice of the bridegroom and of the bride shall be heard no more at all in thee: for thy merchants were the great men of the earth; for by thy sorceries were all nations deceived). No ones ignorant, we ALL know this is where most weddings are held.

So if’ you’re feeling confused, don’t let others say you’re not, you’re basically letting yourself know this. If you’re seeking, keep this in mind. Let no one stop you from finding, regardless of WHO it is. Seek the truth, even if it seem different from others. Jesus teachings were different, that’s why the Pharisees, and other religious leaders hated him. And most importantly, satan won’t show humans they’re living wrong. Neither will those who follow him. peace

Old 01-01-2012, 02:45 PM

9,693 posts, read 10,032,275 times
How Big is your God? .....There are many people who confess that they are Christians but have weak foundation with little or no witness of the living God Jesus Christ ... and some have poor discernment of the spirit and dark spirit walk all over them with no help , as a form of godliness but deny the power of the Lord ..... But if Christians are your friends and you acquaint your self and bless their life then the Lord can be in your life leading you and you may not know it by their prayer for your life by these friends..... See people who blaspheme the Lord Jesus and His purpose and His dwelling place will be under a curse until they resist that rejection of the Lord Jesus, because the Lord leaves people under curses because that is what they ask for....

Old 01-02-2012, 10:43 PM

240 posts, read 586,819 times
Quote:

A long time ago I read or heard somewhere that most Christians profess to be Christians "just in case there is something to it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality