Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 02:18 PM

54 posts, read 156,886 times

Advertisements

Agnosticism is the position of believing that knowledge of the existence or non-existence of God is impossible. It is often put forth as a middle ground between theism and atheism.

The term 'agnostic' was created by T. H. Huxley (1825-1895), who took his cue from David Hume and Immanuel Kant. Huxley says that he invented the term to describe what he thought made him unique among his fellow thinkers:
They were quite sure that they had attained a certain "gnosis" -- had more or less successfully solved the problem of existence; while I was quite sure I had not, and had a pretty strong conviction that the problem was insoluble.
I don't know the nature of our existence or of a Supreme Being. I am not opposed to the idea of a Supreme Being or even the idea of Divine Creation, however without some type of empirical proof, I am skeptical of these ideas. To me, Agnosticism means that I simply don't have knowledge of the Supernatural.
I would like your opinion of Agnosticism and why you agree or disagree with this ideology. Blessings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 03:22 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
I consider myself agnostic. Some on here insist that it means you actually do believe in a god of some sort, just not the Christian one. That is not so. Belief in any god of any sort that has a supernatural aspect is a religion, even if that religion has no name.

I just allow that true proof of something that cannot be proven is impossible so there is some chance that the god could exist. But I see no reason to actually believe in something that has no bearing on my existence, even if it does exist in some form.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:23 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
I think it basically means that you don't have enough information to either believe or disbelieve which seems like a reasonable point of view. I thought of myself as being agnostic when I was much younger but at some point I became completely convinced that God does not exist and I've considered myself to be an atheist ever since. An agnostic doesn't rule out the possibility that God exists.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:46 PM

245 posts, read 625,399 times
I tried to look up the beliefs of the gnostics, but could only find race and culturer references

Old 02-29-2008, 03:57 PM

54 posts, read 156,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
I tried to look up the beliefs of the gnostics, but could only find race and culturer references
Try: Gnostic.Org

Old 02-29-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel266 View Post
thats just another christian con site, it has nothing to do with the people called the gnostics. it erks me when people lie like that, but more so when they go around claiming how rightous they are

Old 02-29-2008, 04:08 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel266 View Post

gnostics aren't agnostics. gnostics were/are a heretical branch of the catholic/christian tree. agnostics are those that believe there is likely a being of some sort, but don't believe in the followings of any established religion.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:25 PM

but there was a people called the gnostics, irrelevent anyway I guess

Old 02-29-2008, 05:28 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,516 times
Default my take on agnostics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
...gnostics were/are a heretical branch of the catholic/christian tree
That, is an opinion. There are many who believe that some gnostic sects had greater, and deeper, spiritual understanding than the orthodox believers of their period. The title of "heretic" was used specifically to stifle debate.

Gnostic essentially means "one who knows." Agnostic is the opposite, i.e. someone who "doesn't claim to know."

I'm not sure if all agnostics believe that knowledge of the existence of a God is impossible. I think agnostics simply reserve judgement, based on intelligence, honesty, patience, and an unwillingness to "believe" without having all the facts.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:31 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
gnostics aren't agnostics. gnostics were/are a heretical branch of the catholic/christian tree. agnostics are those that believe there is likely a being of some sort, but don't believe in the followings of any established religion.
This is not what agnostic means. Agnostics do not believe it is likely there is a magical being of some sort. They sit on the on the fence and differ from atheists only in believing since it can't be proven not to exist, you can't say for certain that it doesn't. That is the opposite of thinking it is likely there is a god.

Gnosticism is a form of Christianity that originally predated the Nicea council which declared them apostates. They adopted the name Gnostics because they claimed to have the knowledge. How this was different from all the other Christan sects of the time and now isn't clear since they all claim to have the truth and the rest are wrong.

Gnosis means knowledge. Agnosis means not knowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality