Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 04:43 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times

Advertisements

...when it comes to the belief that there is life on other planets. Maybe even a tad towards the aexobioist (a word I just made up ) side.

Yes, yes. I understand that the concept that Earth is probably not the only planet with life. But really...is there any evidence to support that POV? Sure...given the zillions of stars out there, many of which have planets. The likelihood seems, well likely, that there might be life out there, but we really have no evidence. Yet I am asked to believe, in faith, that there is life out there. Possibly even intelligent life. Got proof?? I didn't think so.

Sorry folks. But until I am given verifiable, testable evidence of life on other planets I am not gonna buy into the belief system that says "there is life on other planets".

Just sayin'.

Hebrews 11:1 says: Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

Last edited by Mr5150; 12-08-2011 at 04:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 05:21 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,547,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
...when it comes to the belief that there is life on other planets. Maybe even a tad towards the aexobioist (a word I just made up ) side.

Yes, yes. I understand that the concept that Earth is probably not the only planet with life. But really...is there any evidence to support that POV? Sure...given the zillions of stars out there, many of which have planets. The likelihood seems, well likely, that there might be life out there, but we really have no evidence. Yet I am asked to believe, in faith, that there is life out there. Possibly even intelligent life. Got proof?? I didn't think so.

Sorry folks. But until I am given verifiable, testable evidence of life on other planets I am not gonna buy into the belief system that says "there is life on other planets".

Just sayin'.

Hebrews 11:1 says: Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.
Got Proof? Do atheists have T-shirts that say that? It would be a cute parody of the Got Milk? adds. I'm guessing it's already been done, but I've never seen it.

Sorry, I'm really bad at getting off-track by word association!

As far as my response, to your post...

I don't tend to think in terms of "proof", but in terms of possibilities.
I know, to some that would make me "delusional", oh well. I thought I was agnostic for a while. I no longer think that, but the jury is still out.

You see, I thought agnostic meant, believing in God, but not in organized religion. Somebody told me that was not the correct definition. I've looked it up and I'm still not sure I comprehend what being agnostic means, so I can't "define" myself as something which I don't completely understand. That's why I am also a bit wishy-washy about whether or not I can be called a Christian, or even a Catholic...

You say, you have not proof that aliens exist. But can we really have proof that they don't? I mean, how big is the universe? Have we explored it all? So isn't it possible, that even if we don't have proof of something, that it can still exist?

And what about ghosts and spirits for that matter. Some people believe they DO have proof. But of course, many people think their "so-called proof" is hogwash. So, I tend to subscribe to the belief that "anything is possible". Some would call it a cop-out, I suppose. But again. Oh well.

I'm not here to get their approval. You started a post. I felt compelled to reply, so I did. I hope your okay with that.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:47 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,350,310 times
Quote:

Just sayin'.

Would you like to have a pride-based bet that we'll find life...or what has been widely determined to be proof of past life, outside of earth...which did not come from earth, before 2030...on the off chance that we actually remember this? Viruses will count as life.
Microbes are hardy little critters, and there are some moons out there and maybe even parts of Mars that likely have quite hospitable environments under their surface. Never really bought into aliens watching us though. Why would they be so secretive?

Old 12-08-2011, 11:24 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:

Just sayin'.
That was pretty much Thomas' perspective on the fact that Jesus had risen from the dead, wasn't it? Until he had verifiable, testable evidence, he refused to believe.

Just sayin'.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:46 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,371,755 times
Quote:
...Yes, yes. I understand that the concept that Earth is probably not the only planet with life. But really...is there any evidence to support that POV?...

Evidence? Nope, not yet. I'm simply playing the odds.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:00 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,371,160 times
Not sure what the possibility of alien life has to do with the religion forum, but however...

I think you will find mr5150 that people simply believe in the possibility of ET life, not the actually existence of it. In fact subscribing to that belief makes a lot more sense that thinking there might be a god.

Why?

Because we DO have evidence. Us. So we at least know life exists which is the first step in thinking ET life exists.

With gods? Not a shred of evidence on offer AT ALL that such entities exist so we can not even get past the first step there.

Starting to believe in ET Life - 1
Starting to believe in gods - 0.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:04 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,547,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Not sure what the possibility of alien life has to do with the religion forum, but however...
I never actually looked up the definition of philosphy to make certain, but I figured the alien stuff fell under that category.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:18 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,341,388 times
Quote:

Just sayin'.

Your God and his angels (mentioned in the bible) are beings that were not born and raised on Earth. By definition, they too are extraterrestrials. Are you telling us that you don't truly believe in them either? One can not be theistic and close their mind off to the reality of life beyond Earth. Either you believe there is non-Earth intelligence somewhere "out there" (ie, your God-man in the sky) or you don't. Obviously, you don't.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:51 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times
I guess I'd be "agnostic extraterrestrialist" or something. I can't prove there are extraterrestrials and there might be no proof in my lifetime. But I often lean toward the idea there are probably extraterrestrials somewhere, even if there's as little as one sentient/sapient species per-Galaxy.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:37 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
Quote:

Yet without evidence you believe in an invisible deity that lives in the sky...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality