Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 07:25 PM

460 posts, read 593,468 times

Advertisements

I am going to be sarcastic in my answer. This is not directed to anyone in particular, just an overview of the past 2,000 years.

Can a person be Christian?

Interesting question. In the beginning of the Christian movement, no one who believed in the Christ's message that the Kingdom of God had descended to Earth and that people who professed his philosophy were living with one foot in that Kingdom while on this Earth. After death, the believer was part and parcel in the new Kingdom.

However, as a derogatory epitath against this new found cult, which adamantly opposed the deification of the Roman emperor, the Romans began calling the Christ followers "Christians." It soon became a "brand" of honor to be termed "outlaws," and the term kind of stuck.

Christianity assumed notoriety when Emperor Clementine found that the followers of this religion were keeping the empire's kith and kin together better than any other construct and declared it a legal religion as well as a legal organization.

So far, being a Christian hadn't really strayed from the beautiful thought that the Kingdom of God had descended to Earth, and mankind could live in a world of harmony with Christian and non-Christian alike.

Now move forward a hundred years or so, and we have this "peace-loving" cult killing itself over the single question of whether or not Jesus was God. This was finally resolved--but not solved--circa 400 a.d. when the Council of Nicene declared that Jesus was God. This decision did not settle the question, as seen by later crusades against other sects of Christianity in order to establish a "one true church."

Now, interestingly, a Christian was not allowed to spill blood. Not one drop. Spilling blood meant that a Christian was forbidden to partake of the Eucharist for a period of penance time, which had to be done in front of the entire congregation. There was even a kind of "penalty box" for these offenders. Since society was much more open and closely-knit than our modern societies, "offenders" were known by everyone, and no one escaped scrutiny.

So, first change:

A Christian is a person who acknowledges that Jesus was born, resurrected, brought the Kingdom of God to Earth, and is now God.

The cross was not a symbol of the church until Charlamagne. Charlamagne wanted to create a Christian empire and steamed-rolled over Europe. But one curious incident involves the Saxons: they had to build the first cross with a "Jesus" crucified on it. The Saxons made their "Jesus" in their own image, so as to allude to the fact that they had been unfairly persecuted and punished in the name of this new religion. IN fact, it was a law passed by Charlamagne that any Saxon who did not convert to Christianity was to be executed.

So, second change:

A Christian is a person who acknowledges that Jesus was born, was crucified by the Jews (and not the Romans), resurrected, is God. Note that the "Kingdom of God coming to Earth" has been erased. The philosophy changes to "you MIGHT get to Heaven if you are good enough."

We begin to see another fundamental change in Christianity: no longer are Christians the "light of the world" whereby tolerance and loving one another as children (brothers and sisters) of God. It evolved into a "WE vs. THEM" with the "THEM" in the majority.

As we examine the excesses of the Christian church, especially shining a light on the Holy Roman Church (it gets more notoriety than the Eastern Orthodox Church), with the inevitable Reformation and its explosion of so-called "heretical" ideas and thoughts, we are left with the exasperating conclusion that there is no one definition of what Christianity is. It devolved into a pick-and-choose smorgasbord, depending on to which sect one wishes to belong.

1. Jesus is God. Jesus is not God.
2. Jesus rose from the Dead.
3. Jesus loves everyone and welcomes all into His Kingdom. Jesus is really angry and can't wait to come back to judge the "quick and the dead."
4. Jesus reaches out to all people, regardless of what they think or who they are. Jesus rejects everyone who does not believe IN him. (My emphasis, since this popular misinterpretation is the one everyone thinks is the right interpretation. The statement should read: "Any one who believes me will be saved." There is no "in.")
5. Every word of the Bible, OT and NT, is the Word of God and infallible. The OT is a nice book of lessons, but is basically mythology. The NT pretty much represents what the Philosophy of Christ is all about.

And the list is nearly inexhaustible.

HOWEVER, we should not overlook the fact of how the "world" looks at and defines the Christian, which is why I have chosen to disassociate myself from the term "Christian."

1. A Christian is a nasty, self-centered, self-pompous individual who believes that he is superior to all other kinds.
2. A Christian believes that only he will be saved, and part of the pleasure of the afterlife is watching the damned be tortured.
3. A Christian longs for the justice of God be visited on all other people who had the audacity to hurt him.
4. A Christian will forgive only those who are really, really deserving of it, and then only if the other person apologizes first.
5. A Christian is the first one into a fight and declares it right, especially invoking the will of God.
6. A Christian believes it is his duty to save the whole world, and the more insults and injuries and rebuffs heaped upon him means that he is "suffering greatly" for the Lord and takes great pleasure out of it.

Yes, yes, there are many good qualities that a lot of people who call themselves Christians possess. But we are talking about the "World."

We don't open newpapers to read "good" things. Hitler was a god to the people of Germany in the 1930s. You had to be a German living in Germany at the time to understand that statement. But is there ever a word published about what the man did right before he steered the world into a devastating nose dive? No.

One Christian might do a good deed, but that story--if it even gets into print--will be on page 37. The one Christian who did a bad deed will make the front page headlines every time.

And that's how the world perceives Christians today. So, I have to ask the question: do you really want to call yourself a Christian? Or would it be better to take the Philosophy of the Christ, which is devoid of dogma, rites, rules and regulations, et al, and embrace a simple "love your neighbor," which reflects a love of God?

--------
While the Christians seem to be doing most of the vociferous complaining, don't for one minute think that the Jews and the Moslems aren't getting the "boot" by the world by any means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 07:54 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,549,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallisdj View Post
I am going to be sarcastic in my answer. This is not directed to anyone in particular, just an overview of the past 2,000 years.

Can a person be Christian?

Interesting question. In the beginning of the Christian movement, no one who believed in the Christ's message that the Kingdom of God had descended to Earth and that people who professed his philosophy were living with one foot in that Kingdom while on this Earth. After death, the believer was part and parcel in the new Kingdom.

However, as a derogatory epitath against this new found cult, which adamantly opposed the deification of the Roman emperor, the Romans began calling the Christ followers "Christians." It soon became a "brand" of honor to be termed "outlaws," and the term kind of stuck.

Christianity assumed notoriety when Emperor Clementine found that the followers of this religion were keeping the empire's kith and kin together better than any other construct and declared it a legal religion as well as a legal organization.

So far, being a Christian hadn't really strayed from the beautiful thought that the Kingdom of God had descended to Earth, and mankind could live in a world of harmony with Christian and non-Christian alike.

Now move forward a hundred years or so, and we have this "peace-loving" cult killing itself over the single question of whether or not Jesus was God. This was finally resolved--but not solved--circa 400 a.d. when the Council of Nicene declared that Jesus was God. This decision did not settle the question, as seen by later crusades against other sects of Christianity in order to establish a "one true church."

Now, interestingly, a Christian was not allowed to spill blood. Not one drop. Spilling blood meant that a Christian was forbidden to partake of the Eucharist for a period of penance time, which had to be done in front of the entire congregation. There was even a kind of "penalty box" for these offenders. Since society was much more open and closely-knit than our modern societies, "offenders" were known by everyone, and no one escaped scrutiny.

So, first change:

A Christian is a person who acknowledges that Jesus was born, resurrected, brought the Kingdom of God to Earth, and is now God.

The cross was not a symbol of the church until Charlamagne. Charlamagne wanted to create a Christian empire and steamed-rolled over Europe. But one curious incident involves the Saxons: they had to build the first cross with a "Jesus" crucified on it. The Saxons made their "Jesus" in their own image, so as to allude to the fact that they had been unfairly persecuted and punished in the name of this new religion. IN fact, it was a law passed by Charlamagne that any Saxon who did not convert to Christianity was to be executed.

So, second change:

A Christian is a person who acknowledges that Jesus was born, was crucified by the Jews (and not the Romans), resurrected, is God. Note that the "Kingdom of God coming to Earth" has been erased. The philosophy changes to "you MIGHT get to Heaven if you are good enough."

We begin to see another fundamental change in Christianity: no longer are Christians the "light of the world" whereby tolerance and loving one another as children (brothers and sisters) of God. It evolved into a "WE vs. THEM" with the "THEM" in the majority.

As we examine the excesses of the Christian church, especially shining a light on the Holy Roman Church (it gets more notoriety than the Eastern Orthodox Church), with the inevitable Reformation and its explosion of so-called "heretical" ideas and thoughts, we are left with the exasperating conclusion that there is no one definition of what Christianity is. It devolved into a pick-and-choose smorgasbord, depending on to which sect one wishes to belong.

1. Jesus is God. Jesus is not God.
2. Jesus rose from the Dead.
3. Jesus loves everyone and welcomes all into His Kingdom. Jesus is really angry and can't wait to come back to judge the "quick and the dead."
4. Jesus reaches out to all people, regardless of what they think or who they are. Jesus rejects everyone who does not believe IN him. (My emphasis, since this popular misinterpretation is the one everyone thinks is the right interpretation. The statement should read: "Any one who believes me will be saved." There is no "in.")
5. Every word of the Bible, OT and NT, is the Word of God and infallible. The OT is a nice book of lessons, but is basically mythology. The NT pretty much represents what the Philosophy of Christ is all about.

And the list is nearly inexhaustible.

HOWEVER, we should not overlook the fact of how the "world" looks at and defines the Christian, which is why I have chosen to disassociate myself from the term "Christian."

1. A Christian is a nasty, self-centered, self-pompous individual who believes that he is superior to all other kinds.
2. A Christian believes that only he will be saved, and part of the pleasure of the afterlife is watching the damned be tortured.
3. A Christian longs for the justice of God be visited on all other people who had the audacity to hurt him.
4. A Christian will forgive only those who are really, really deserving of it, and then only if the other person apologizes first.
5. A Christian is the first one into a fight and declares it right, especially invoking the will of God.
6. A Christian believes it is his duty to save the whole world, and the more insults and injuries and rebuffs heaped upon him means that he is "suffering greatly" for the Lord and takes great pleasure out of it.

Yes, yes, there are many good qualities that a lot of people who call themselves Christians possess. But we are talking about the "World."

We don't open newpapers to read "good" things. Hitler was a god to the people of Germany in the 1930s. You had to be a German living in Germany at the time to understand that statement. But is there ever a word published about what the man did right before he steered the world into a devastating nose dive? No.

One Christian might do a good deed, but that story--if it even gets into print--will be on page 37. The one Christian who did a bad deed will make the front page headlines every time.

And that's how the world perceives Christians today. So, I have to ask the question: do you really want to call yourself a Christian? Or would it be better to take the Philosophy of the Christ, which is devoid of dogma, rites, rules and regulations, et al, and embrace a simple "love your neighbor," which reflects a love of God?

--------
While the Christians seem to be doing most of the vociferous complaining, don't for one minute think that the Jews and the Moslems aren't getting the "boot" by the world by any means.
I am okay with calling myself a Christian. The world is full of derogitory labels and perceptions of every "group" of people. I am not willing to allow "the world" to scare me into avoiding the title Christian, simply because many people have come to misunderstand what it really means, or because the world can't completely agree on what it means.

That being said, I appreciate your post and your thoughts.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:28 PM

63,855 posts, read 40,142,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallisdj View Post
Emperor Clementine??? Oh m'darlin', Oh m'darlin' Oh m'darlin Clementine . . .

Last edited by MysticPhD; 01-03-2012 at 10:37 PM..

Old 01-04-2012, 12:21 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,218,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Emperor Clementine??? Oh m'darlin', Oh m'darlin' Oh m'darlin Clementine . . .
Good one

Old 01-04-2012, 12:34 AM

460 posts, read 593,468 times
Chalk it up to dementia! Getting old, folks! Should be Emperor Constantine.

I'm not scared off by the title. In fact, it is just the reverse. Since a number of people I meet on a daily basis are not Christian, I don't want to scare them off with any preconceived ideas. I want them to have a good first impression of me without building up any walls that the nomenclature of "Christian" imparts.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:05 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,757,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Thanks. Between you and me, I think that some (definitely not all) who are so passionately determined to convince others of their beliefs are maybe unknowingly trying to convince themselves in the process.
You may have a point there. The important thing is to learn to at least look at the counter - arguments and give them consideration. To dismiss then on inadequate or flimsy grounds is the work of a closed mind. An open mind should not be disinclined to consider and accept even unwelcome conclusions and even change their minds.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:13 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,757,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayLight1555 View Post
Those who believe a 100% are believers. Those who doubt somewhat (on the scale), are agnostics. Those who don't believe 100% are atheists.

If you doubt, (as a possibility) that makes you an agnostic.

I am a believer by nature. If I believe something, I believe 100%. I know in my mind that all I have is a belief and it may not be true, but I still don't doubt in my heart. That's a sign of a believer.

Agnostics doubt in their heart.

Atheists are convinced that they are true in their heart.
I'm afraid I have to disagree with this.

No one can be 100% sure - especially where the supernatural is involved. We are all to a degree agnostics - as I said.

However, you have a point in people being sure whether to believe or not. Not 100% of course, but enough to be convinced.

Theists are convinced and say they 'know'. They don't of course, but we know what they mean

Atheists are convinced there is no God and say they 'know'. They don't, of course (and they are talking about Biblegod in particular, and all the other personal gods in general) but we ought to know what they mean, though in fact they are often twitted for claiming to have absolute (100%) knowledge which they don't have and in fact would never claim.

In fact, they are just saying they are as convinced that there is no God just as most people are convinced there are no Leprechauns, fairies or Santa Claus, and everybody would know what was meant.

I repeat: we are all agnostic. Whether believing (theist) or unbelieving (atheist) agnostics depends on how we view the evidence.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:55 PM

1,329 posts, read 833,036 times
Yes, you could be "agnostic" and a Christian... belief isn't necessarily the same as gnosis or certainty. "Gnosis" in the Christian tradition is a gift, the result of asceticism and "prayer of the heart", not an intellectual endeavour.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:17 AM

4 posts, read 3,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
I considered myself agnostic for quite a long time, even though I do believe Jesus Christ is our savior. I considered myself agnostic because

1- I couldn't honestly say I "know" this to be true, I believe it, and
2- I can't fully believe or follow any one particular religion. I lean toward Christian beliefs, but I definitely have lots of questions. I do respect (I hope that's the right word) all religions and the right not to believe in or follow any religion.

So, does this make me Christian or agnostic, or just really confused!
you have to Know, what you want to be, sons to me that you are both.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:17 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,549,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by essene888 View Post
you have to Know, what you want to be, sons to me that you are both.

You meant "sounds to me" right?
Where are you from?
Thanks for your reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality