Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 04:32 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,145,251 times

Advertisements

Yes I think the what you bring into the home definately affect the spirit that is in your home. For us its pretty much Disney channel and So you think you can dance (love love love! that show) We have turned off several movies because of nasty language or too sexual or just too dark. They just leave a bad feeling you can't really explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 04:36 PM

23,021 posts, read 34,407,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
I was watching wife/swap on ABC last night (Monday) and the show had a wiccan mother chanting spells and the family she had swapped with "had" to chant prayers/spells with her.
ABC.com: Wife Swap, only on ABC

this is just an example, but do you feel that allowing shows, movies into you home that show satanic themes, such as some horror movies, nudity, etc, have an effect on your family?

To me the answer is an obvious yes, so I changed the channel, kinda felt weird about letting that into my home. Anyone else feel the same way?
I feel the same way. I don't have small children to be concerned about, but I don't think it's good for me to see that kind of stuff, garbage in....garbage out.

Last edited by Hoosier; 07-17-2007 at 06:01 PM..

Old 07-17-2007, 04:40 PM

508 posts, read 1,674,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
I was watching wife/swap on ABC last night (Monday) and the show had a wiccan mother chanting spells and the family she had swapped with "had" to chant prayers/spells with her.
ABC.com: Wife Swap, only on ABC

this is just an example, but do you feel that allowing shows, movies into you home that show satanic themes, such as some horror movies, nudity, etc, have an effect on your family?

To me the answer is an obvious yes, so I changed the channel, kinda felt weird about letting that into my home. Anyone else feel the same way?
We do not even have cable. 90% trash, 10% not really worth the time or money. We do watch a lot of movies and are pretty sensitive to what we subject ourselves too.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:07 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,633,334 times
Someone mentioned adult sexual programming on HBO or other pay channels. There is nothing more boring than watching one of these programs. Sometimes I surf through channels just to see what's on and I've noticed that they're adding more of them. These particular ones are just R rated, I would never pay to see the X-rated ones, but after watching about 10 seconds of bad acting and zero storyline is enough for me. I think they're probably doing this because these movies are cheap to produce and they're just using them for filler. I also wish we had the option of picking out specific channels that we're really going to watch and just skip all the rest. They've been talking about it but the cable companies are strongly opposed to it.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:10 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,098,981 times
We hardly even watch TV anymore except for the news or maybe a few special programs. The routine stuff mostly stinks and I have better things to do than sit in front of the TV -- you know, like being on CD!

We don't have any little ones around either but I agree with ILNC.

I'll have to check out the new Tom Selleck show though...can't let him get past without a chance anyway!

Old 07-17-2007, 05:12 PM

4,781 posts, read 2,084,006 times
Have you noticed almost every movie wrongfully uses the name of the Lord?
Free speech yes, but can't they just simply use another word!

Old 07-17-2007, 05:19 PM

I do want to add an additional thought about television programming. If you look at the history of the twentieth century you won't notice any particular change in human behavior as a result of people watching television. In fact, all of the really bad stuff (two world wars) happened before television was even invented. I think the impact on children is minimal. However, some of the really violent video games apparently do get kids really worked up because they're actively participating in it instead of just watching.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:39 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,912,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I do want to add an additional thought about television programming. If you look at the history of the twentieth century you won't notice any particular change in human behavior as a result of people watching television. In fact, all of the really bad stuff (two world wars) happened before television was even invented. I think the impact on children is minimal. However, some of the really violent video games apparently do get kids really worked up because they're actively participating in it instead of just watching.
I'm not sure I agree with that. I think we had two world wars before TV for different reasons. I mean, yes TV can be very good and probably helps communication across the world no doubt. Also we have learned a lot by watching educational TV...Magic School Bus, Animal Planet, History Channel...and on and on. But I do think that TV shows for young children in particular have gone down hill in the sense that it's "cool" to disrespect your parents, or do what you want to regardless of what they want...etc.

I don't know...maybe I'm just old fashioned...but I liked the old Little House and Andy Griffith shows that showed real problems with good lessons behind them. I wish they would make more shows like that for kids today.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:01 PM

Jazzedforhim wrote:
Quote:
but I liked the old Little House
There was something about that blow dried styled hair that didn't quite match my image of the old west. Seriously though, people don't seem to need a stimulation to do bad things, they were even more cruel and prone to torture and horrific acts centuries before most of the population could even read or write let alone read a book or watch a television program. I think you need to look at the total picture of human history and put things in proper perspective. Oh, jazzed, I can't wait till we start arguing about our books.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:04 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,724,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Jazzedforhim wrote:

There was something about that blow dried styled hair that didn't quite match my image of the old west.
Did you know that Little House was not the old west but here in Minnesota? I believe Little House was in the southwestern portion of this great state...which would make sense that it's next to the Dakotas with the harsh winters!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality