Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 07:59 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times

Advertisements

I have no problem with Wiccans on TV - as been pointed out, they're not "satanic". IMO, just another religion, and after studying it (out of curiosity) years ago, not a bad philosophy, although not mine.

I have newborn sons and what's on TV concerns me. As someone else pointed out, sitcoms are just garbage anymore and I don't watch them. I watch mostly channels like HGTV, TLC, History, Food Network, Style, Fine Living, Discovery Health, DIY, etc. - mostly shows you can learn something from. I just wish cable/satellite companies would have "a-la-carte" service where you could choose which channels you wanted so I wouldn't have to constanty monitor the TV when the kids get older. Call me old fashioned, but some of these sitcoms are totally inappropriate and I don't think I should have to explain to a 5 year old what "one night stand, 'ho, tramp, gettin' some, etc." means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 08:54 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,246,631 times
I find that most television programs insult my intelligence, but hey, I watch most of them for entertainment anyways.

The only thing that comes to mind that I absolutely could not watch was the documentary Jesus Camp. This movie is herald by both sides as being an accurate and non-biased depiction of both sides of the coin, but I had to turn it off half-way through or else I was going to throw the television out the window.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:47 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,486,679 times
I will watch anything that interests me. For me, this excludes horror shows/movies, and anything gory. I hate blood and guts.

Will I change the channel specifically because of the theme of a show? Not unless its horror or gore. Will I change the channel because a show is DUMB? You betcha. (DUMB includes a lot of subcategories.)

I've watched lots of shows on the History Channel or Discovery that were, for example, on the history of various world religions, cults, peoples, etc and found them fascinating, from a historical perspective. Just because you don't agree with a philosophy doesn't mean that it will never impact your life.

What is it they teach in school? "Those who don't learn from our history are doomed to repeat it." If you change the channel every time you see something you don't agree with, how will you ever learn enough about it to know WHY you disagree?

I will also let Star Trek, Charmed, and Xena run for the entertainment value. Yes, that's right, I said Charmed. HISS, its a show about witches. BOO, HISS!

Now, I agree absolutely that in households with children, Television content needs to be monitored to make sure it is age appropriate, but for adults, anything should be fair game. And in many cases, the very shows you are editing from your older childen are the ones I think they should be watching to learn about the world. Much better than many of the "fluff" shows on the Disney channel these days.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:53 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,110,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
I was watching wife/swap on ABC last night (Monday) and the show had a wiccan mother chanting spells and the family she had swapped with "had" to chant prayers/spells with her.
ABC.com: Wife Swap, only on ABC

this is just an example, but do you feel that allowing shows, movies into you home that show satanic themes, such as some horror movies, nudity, etc, have an effect on your family?

To me the answer is an obvious yes, so I changed the channel, kinda felt weird about letting that into my home. Anyone else feel the same way?
I got rid of my television many years ago. It's like having an open sewer line running through your living room. And I don't have to lift the lid off the sewer to know what's inside.

Frankly, and this is my belief, I'm shocked more Christians don't evict their televisions. Look at how much cable and satellite bills cost for the few channels a person can safely watch (and still have to guard themselves against the commercials).

Old 06-05-2008, 12:04 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Now, I agree absolutely that in households with children, Television content needs to be monitored to make sure it is age appropriate, but for adults, anything should be fair game.
I *absolutely* agree with this statement!

Children, who may not understand what they're seeing, should be monitored in front of a TV. If you're an adult, you can make your own decisions and your own choices.

*You* are your strongest critic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality