Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 07:04 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,402,405 times

Advertisements

God may not choose to show himself because he is shy. Those formative years are tough on an adolescent let alone a God. Imagine for a moment God getting one of those "atomic" wedgies from Zeus during a pep rally at high school. That crap will set you back about 6000 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 07:05 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Exactly! Which is what I said. It's subjective. First convince yourself it's true and then you can find proof everywhere. But you see, the good thing about proof (real proof that is) is that it's available to everyone and not just those who believe it's true. If it's raining, that is proof to everyone that rain exists...not just to those who believe in rain.
what about if something is subjective but people don't see it cause they have to conceive of it first? like the story of the native amiericans not seeing the ship...they xould only see it one the shaman saw it cause he had to conceive od it first before he xould even see it and had to tell the others so they could then coneive od it an therfore see it too?

just something to think about.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:19 PM

33,575 posts, read 37,205,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I believe God shows himself- some folks choose to "see" others don't

My son years ago, asked me, how do we know there is a god?
At the time, he was studying planets, and how the earth began in science class-so i asked, him-we have clearly seen the moons surface, the surface on mars, many rocks, some craters, etc. this is how the earth looked billions of years ago,
I asked him one simple question to ask his science teacher- where did our trees come from?
the teacher wouldnt answer the question
i use trees as a very basis-let alone life

I do believe in a higher being, not because it was taught and told i should, but more so from personal unexplained experiences- far beyond coincidence or theory

There has to be a god- what/who else could make woman so beautiful????

That is called God of the gaps, and you are wrong about the earth eons ago being similar to the moon ..Earth has always had an atmosphere, and a magnetosphere. Mars may have resembled the earth millions of years ago, as it also had atmosphere and a magnetosphere, and is thought to have had flowing water and perhaps life. It lost it all when it lost the protection of the magnetosphere, as will earth if it's magnetosphere disappears.

As a matter of fact there is some concern that earth may be loosing it's magnetosphere...That would doom all life on earth.

Your God had better show himself before that happens... http://www.brighthub.com/science/spa...les/20617.aspx

I hope your son's science teacher can answer your tree question, if not I can...475 million years ago, The first primitive plants move onto land, having evolved from green algae living along the edges of lakes. They are accompanied by fungi, which may have aided the colonisation of land through symbiosis. It has nothing to do with your God....Another gap filled.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:20 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,113,148 times
Well, if there is a God, I'd imagine the reason is because he's nothing like the man-made ones many people worship. It seems like most people still think of God as the being described in myths and fables such as the Bible.

Trust me, if that God were real, he'd show himself to you in a minute just to stroke his own ego and belittle you. Just read the book of Job towards the end. The reason why that God doesn't do it today, of course, it because it doesn't exist. No amount of apologetic BS will ever convince me otherwise.

I'd say we have to look at what God is in a different way for an answer to that. Many examples have already been given in this thread.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:42 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,229,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
God may not choose to show himself because he is shy. Those formative years are tough on an adolescent let alone a God. Imagine for a moment God getting one of those "atomic" wedgies from Zeus during a pep rally at high school. That crap will set you back about 6000 years.
Galatians 6:7 "Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows."

Old 09-07-2010, 07:57 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,883,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Nonsense. If you truly want to find out if God is real or not, you can't go looking with your mind already made up. You have to be willing to be open to go where the evidence takes you.
Then how come you've arrived at the conclusion that gods exist? There certainly isn't any evidence to have taken you there.

Quote:
The book A Case For Christ is a great example of what I'm talking about...an atheist's journey to disprove Jesus, but he said he was willing to go where the evidence took him.
Read it! Biggest load of biased tripe ever. Tell us, how many non-believers or scientists did he interview in that book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
My son years ago, asked me, how do we know there is a god?

I asked him one simple question to ask his science teacher- where did our trees come from?
the teacher wouldnt answer the question
Damn! No wonder the state of education in USA is the way it is with teachers like that.

Quote:
i use trees as a very basis-let alone life
So lets turn the question on you. Where did your god come from?

Quote:
I do believe in a higher being, not because it was taught and told i should, but more so from personal unexplained experiences- far beyond coincidence or theory
That's just what Hindus say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Finally, there is nothing subjective about talking to God and listening or allowing him to lead us through his purpose for our lives. It takes faith before one can leap to trust.
Do you actually know what 'subjective' means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
what about if something is subjective but people don't see it cause they have to conceive of it first? like the story of the native amiericans not seeing the ship...they xould only see it one the shaman saw it cause he had to conceive od it first before he xould even see it and had to tell the others so they could then coneive od it an therfore see it too?

just something to think about.
Huh??

Old 09-07-2010, 08:12 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,037,664 times
I'm one of those agnostics who really wishes he could believe in God. Unfortunately, I can't. I can't believe in God any more than I can make myself enjoy rap music. A person can't just command himself to believe in something and then have the belief. I need some basis for a belief. When it comes to God, I've got a lot of basis for disbelief, but none for belief. And like I said, I want to believe.

First, I've come to the conclusion that God was created in man's mind thousands of years ago to explain what was then unknown phenomenon, as well as soothe fears. Because the concept of God is an invention, God has taken many forms, including multiple gods. How god(s) appears depends on the culture. There have been island cultures that believe God lives deep in the sea. The whole notion of "faith" kind of leaves me wondering. See, "faith" is kind of a neutral human trait in that unlike lying or stealing, "faith" really isn't harmful to others. Why would God require it and make it such a priority? It makes me think faith is used as kind of a synonym for "fantasize".

We have had countless scientific discoveries that have explained much of what we once attributed to God. Stuff like God creating the heavens and earth in 7 days has been thrown out the window due to science. Adam and Eve can be chalked up as fictional characters due to evolution.

In the common religions that feature a heaven and hell, how does god judge man? Does he judge me, a guy who had a decent childhood, and loving parents, equally to the guy who faced abuse and degregation has a child? How about the child who was born retarded, how does god judge him? I want to see the rules and regulations concerning this type of stuff because these are the questions that make me doubt the existence of a god.

And all this I say reluctantly, because I want a god.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:47 PM

202 posts, read 506,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
I'm still agnostic on the issue and have actually been looking into Deism lately.

Anyways, if there is one, why won't he just show himself? He created planets, galaxies, stars, US, yet he can't give a simple "hi" to us. You know, like I'm talking to a real person.

Why when religious people say they "talk" to god or we must "talk" to god and "listen", it's all so subjective and in our heads?
You presume that there is one god, that is most likely a Christian, Islamic or Jewish concept. There are other faiths that do not view the world or faith itself through that prism.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:56 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,981,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
I'm still agnostic on the issue and have actually been looking into Deism lately.

Anyways, if there is one, why won't he just show himself? He created planets, galaxies, stars, US, yet he can't give a simple "hi" to us. You know, like I'm talking to a real person.

Why when religious people say they "talk" to god or we must "talk" to god and "listen", it's all so subjective and in our heads?

Jesus said if we seek Him we will find Him. I did that, and Christ has revealed Himself to me. I have heard His voice, and from time to time He reveals things to me. I have been a Christian for 49 years now, and I can tell you, it's all real.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:51 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,883,612 times
Just like the Hindus, Muslims and Zoroastrians can tell us 'it's all real'.

It's all in your head Campo old horse.

If it really was 'all real' you wouldn't need faith would you?
If it really was 'all real' you'd be able to provide objective verifiable evidence for it wouldn't you?

But you can't supply objective verifiable evidence because it doesn't exist. That's why your religion demands that you have faith. The fact that you have to have faith denotes that what you believe can't be shown to be real/true....because faith is obsolete when something is real or true. So your claim that "it's all real" fails miserably. Elementary old beast!!

Last edited by Rafius; 09-08-2010 at 08:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality