Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 12:49 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,219,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Demand evidence? Are you kidding me? If they were so intelligent, why are they demanding proof of something they claim not to believe in?! You don't need to demand proof of something you clearly don't believe in!
Perhaps if proof were forthcoming, "they" would change their stance on the matter. Some of us can actually change an attitude towards something on the basis of evidence. I'm not "demanding" proof, but the concept of a deity who rewards people for being credulous doesn't appeal to me at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 02:08 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,935,271 times
Cool "Damn the Truth All to Hell! It ain't gonna change MY mind, I tell yah!"

Quote:

1) You, me, or anyone else that has lived or breathed on this Earth are simply unworthy to see God! Completely unworthy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman
I..... oh well.. Talk about "unworthy" of a response. You seem incapable of a rational debate here. If OPs like this one crank you up this high, perhaps you should learn to just walk away? You know; to keep your blood pressure down? Seriously!
His creations are right in front of you. Only fools cannot see the hands of God's works all across this planet and the universe!
Quote:
I'm no fool. I used to be a practicing Christian, and even prayed, though no-one ever answered. My neighbor, a middle-aged spinster, told me once that "the lovely, warming sun coming up in the morning!" was all the proof I should need that my prayers were being answered. Sorry; that's not very convincing, since, in fact, the sun comes up every morning with or without prayer.

Folks who pray and "hear" answers obviously want to hear them. Simple as that. Atheists never hear God's little voice in our heads, and what is claimed so often as a direct cause-effect relationship from prayer is simply the most basic of coincidences, or of Selective Interpretation. Look up the word "unambiguous" and report back to us, would you? Thanks.
Quote:
Is that what you think prayer is?!! I'd say you are extremely delusional if that is what you truly believe prayer is!! But then again, what can I expect from a person that is NOT a Christian and has no concept of what prayer is?

Quote:
You can expect us to answer with our heartfelt, thoughtful interpretations and our personal experiences and interpretations. Your furious, insulting and ranting denialism notwithstanding, there are other realities in this world than the ones you presume to see.

Now, as for the most telling thing you've admitted here, the following ranks a firm "10"...
Anybody who knows me can tell you my views have not changed a dime since the first time I came.
Yup: I agree. You're a "rock" to be sure. Unchangeable. No matter what. Literally; no matter what.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:09 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,480,254 times
There are two things that makes the God debate most difficult.

Most religious beliefs are inherently structured in a way that makes them impossible to disprove. Rather than being open to other possibilities, most religions are set up in a way where there is absolutely no evidence that can be found that would lead to believing in a different god, more gods, fewer gods, or no god. Instead, there's just another religious explanation for what might otherwise be considered evidence. Whereas on the other hand, most atheists' beliefs aren't set up in such a proof-safe way, in other words, there are certain types of evidence that most atheists would consider to be evidence towards a God. There is a minority of atheists that structure their beliefs in the same way as the majority of theists, and in this case they just treat their atheism like another religion, but for the most part, atheists don't set up their beliefs to be proof-safe.

On the other hand, what makes theism proof-safe to most atheists is not because of how they structure their beliefs, but because of the fact the vast majority atheists rely on the scientific process, whereas the vast majority of theists rely on subjective experience. I don't want to at all invalidate subjective experience, because I think subjective experience is very real and definitely a part of life. The problem is it doesn't hold up in science. Science doesn't accept subjectivity as proof or evidence. So while most atheists are looking for an objective answer, most theists only have subjective experiences to offer as their proof of God. When there are objective events that religious people draw on, they are usually supplemented with heavy amounts of subjective interpretation. That makes their reason for believing impossible to disprove in science because of the very nature of their belief.

As a result, the vast majority of the God debate gets nowhere. If theists and atheists can agree on what would be considered evidence of a God, then maybe we can get somewhere. Until then, we're just running around in circles quoting from sources that the other side doesn't consider valid. In order for the debate to get anywhere, we need to find a common base that both atheists and theists consider to be valid so that we can look for evidence that holds up in both communities.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:56 PM

460 posts, read 594,038 times
Perhaps it is because we all look towards a god that is above and beyond us, akin to a world described by Plato.

Perhaps if we looked at a God that is composed of 7 billion people (that would be one part), integral to humanity, in and with as well as without mankind.

Perhaps if we just look at other people we can begin to recognize God.

First, we have to remove from our minds all the brainwashing we have received as to what God is, how God behaves, what God expects, etc.

Maybe then we can appreciate the true "immenseness" of God as well as the "cozy companion" God can become as well.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:19 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,219,561 times
That's a big step in the right direction, but why bother with the supernatural concept of a god at all?

Old 09-06-2010, 03:34 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,750,543 times
Why doesn't God just show himself?

1... there is no god, and everything evolved out of pure chaos..

2 god is running an experiment with the universe and organic mater, and will not intervene

3 god is still an infant, and likes to see a lot of chaos,just like a kid with ant farm.

4 the god that governs our universe has to get permission from the bigger god before he can intervene. and so on right up the ladder. bureaucracy amonst gods

5 or god just doesn't have enough time in his day to worry about some little parastite destroying a speck in his creation.. kinda like me worring about a speck of dust in antarctica..

6--- god is so big that he doesn't even know we exist, kinda like us humans looking for elusive particles smaller than neutrinoes, quarks..

7 god is unsatisfied with his creation and is getting ready to wipe the slate clean.

god is only going to pick a few life forms from his universes to have in his collection.. kinda like noahs ark..

8 god is just waiting for just the right moment to intervene..

Old 09-06-2010, 03:59 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,956,969 times
Not only will he not show himself...he won't speak for himself either.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:41 PM

56 posts, read 94,784 times
God does show Himself to the ones who are seeking Him through the word and faith,He lives in the heart of all who believe .

Old 09-06-2010, 07:40 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,226,086 times
Quote:
If your a Christian, we communicate with God daily. It's called prayer. And it's your sins that are vile and evil. Not you. That's why Jesus died on the cross for them so you could live. How dare I bring you back down to Earth and remind you you came at a price? How dare I.

Since when did Jesus die for unbelievers?

Old 09-06-2010, 07:49 PM

63,949 posts, read 40,236,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Not only will he not show himself...he won't speak for himself either.
If you rely only on left brain discipline and skills and the five senses . . . and do not develop right brain discipline and skills . . . you are like an unsighted or deaf person trying to see or hear God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality