Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 03:37 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,964,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
What a ridiculous question from such a little human being! I imagine God is either laughing at you or shaking his head at the ridiculousness of such a being he created. You, me, or anyone else that has lived or breathed on this Earth are simply unworthy to see God! Completely unworhy! What have we done to deserve to see the maker of heaven and earth? Besides running our motor mouths? Is living and breathing not enough for you? The fact that jesus his only begotten son died on the cross for your vile sins is not enough? Is going to heaven not enough?! Now you want to see God?! As if any of us are worthy enough! Not even ignoring the fact that God does not owe us a single flimsy thing! He doesn't have to show you his face to know he exist! His creations are right in front of your face . Only fools cannot see the hands of God's works all across this planet and the universe! Amen!
Nice rant, but solves nothing.

First, if it is laughing or shaking its head, then it must be looking in a mirror as it ostensibly created us. So who is to blame?

Second, I don't know that Jesus did anything of the sort. I am pretty sure that a rabbi from Galilee was crucifed by the Romans for stirring up the pot and angering the Sanhedrin, but not much other than that.

Third, it doesn't owe us anything? If we are the created, are not we entitled to actually know what and/or who it is? With all the disparate faiths and beliefs out there concerning it, don't you think it would behoove it to come out of hiding and say in a clear and unambiguous way, "Ok, here's there story..." before it consigns those of us who question or do not believe to hell?

Fourth, is it or is it not "our Father"? If it is, then it must be the role model for the absentee father. I have children. I can't imagine having them, then disappearing from view and leaving my children to ponder just who I am. This, in essence, is what god (if it be a personal god) has done.

Please refrain from the "devil causes the confusion" excuse. It's too easy an answer and lets the personal god off the hook. Also, don't tire me with "read the bible." The bible carries no more weight (except to believers) than the Quran or any one of 100 other sacred texts. All sacred texts have man's authorship and fingerprints all over them, not to mention interpretations, re-interpretations and re-re-interpretations. I don't want to hear it from a man; I want to hear it from god itself.

Last edited by Fullback32; 09-03-2010 at 04:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 03:53 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,883,612 times
Quote:
The fact that jesus his only begotten son died on the cross for your vile sins is not enough?
It isn't a "fact", it's a belief. ...and the way you keep ranting on about 'vile sin' demonstrates that it's time you started seeking some outside help.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:53 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,646,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Allen why do you always stoop to insults when answering questions?
What? How am I insulting him! I said his question was ridiculous because it is!! Not even the angels in heaven have seen God! What makes us think we are worthy enough to see him?!

Old 09-03-2010, 03:56 PM

465 posts, read 529,326 times
Quote:
What a ridiculous question from such a little human being! I imagine God is either laughing at you or shaking his head at the ridiculousness of such a being he created. You, me, or anyone else that has lived or breathed on this Earth are simply unworthy to see God! Completely unworthy! What have we done to deserve to see the maker of heaven and earth? Besides running our motor mouths? Is living and breathing not enough for you? The fact that jesus his only begotten son died on the cross for your vile sins is not enough? Is going to heaven not enough?! Now you want to see God?! As if any of us are worthy enough! Not even ignoring the fact that God does not owe us a single flimsy thing! He doesn't have to show you his face to know he exist! His creations are right in front of you. Only fools cannot see the hands of God's works all across this planet and the universe!
Yeah how dare I want to actually see and communicate clearly with the being that made me. How evil and vile.

You seething and foaming at the mouth in your post above is just another of many excuses and cop outs you use.

Nothing but baseless statements without anything to back them up lol.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
What? How am I insulting him! I said his question was ridiculous because it is!! Not even the angels in heaven have seen God! What makes us think we are worthy enough to see him?!
How do you know? You sure do know a lot of info about things you haven't seen or heard. Then again, it's pretty easy to make anything up when you're talking about invisible things.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:08 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,646,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
Yeah how dare I want to actually see and communicate clearly with the being that made me. How evil and vile.
If your a Christian, we communicate with God daily. It's called prayer. And it's your sins that are vile and evil. Not you. That's why Jesus died on the cross for them so you could live. How dare I bring you back down to Earth and remind you you came at a price? How dare I.

Quote:
You seething and foaming at the mouth in your post above is just another of many excuses and cop outs you use.
You putting your nose into other's business that does not involve you is just another example of your instigating and argumentative nature. Immature and annoying.

Quote:
Nothing but baseless statements without anything to back them up lol.
Nothing but cheese gurgling up to the surface and coming out your mouth as well I would say. I have opinions and I state them. What do I need to back up?

Old 09-03-2010, 04:24 PM

33,575 posts, read 37,205,438 times
Quote:
If your a Christian, we communicate with God daily. It's called prayer. And it's your sins that are vile and evil. Not you. That's why Jesus died on the cross for them so you could live. How dare I bring you back down to Earth and remind you you came at a price? How dare I.

You putting your nose into other's business that does not involve you is just another example of your instigating and argumentative nature. Immature and annoying.

Nothing but cheese gurgling up to the surface and coming out your mouth as well I would say. I have opinions and I state them. What do I need to back up?
When you state them as opinions, you need not back them up, but when stating your opinions as facts, which you do......Well that is a different story. Just look at your post above...Do I see, "it's my opinion" or "I believe"...

Well I believe what you believe is a colossal crock.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:

No offense, but what you call prayer I think it's talking to yourself. When you talk, and the answers you hear come within your head, you are talking to yourself.

Me putting my nose into others business? lol howso? Because I made a thread asking a real question on the religion and philosophy forum? No instigating is what romans6 does. If I wanted to instigate, I would've gone to the christian forum and started this thread. I'm glad I annoy you...it shows me that something I'm saying may actually start to make logical sense in that head of yours, and it's conflicting with what you already believe.

So your beliefs are opinions? Then why do you state them as fact?

A fact is:

# a piece of information about circumstances that exist or events that have occurred; "first you must collect all the facts of the case"
# a statement or assertion of verified information about something that is the case or has happened; "he supported his argument with an impressive array of facts"
# an event known to have happened or something known to have existed; "your fears have no basis in fact"; "how much of the story is fact and how much fiction is hard to tell"
# a concept whose truth can be proved; "scientific hypotheses are not facts"

If you can't do any of these, it is not a fact or truth and like you said, they are just your opinions.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:38 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,211,341 times
Quote:
What a ridiculous question from such a little human being! I imagine God is either laughing at you or shaking his head at the ridiculousness of such a being he created.
Then shame on him for having neither the foresight nor the mental ability to comprehend the fact that some people are extremely intelligent and demand strict proof of evidence.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:44 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
I ask this question all the time myself. It would make things so much easier and settle the question once and for all. Like Chango, I am agnostic also, though of the agnostic theist variety. I have narrowed it down to this:

1. God is not willing to reveal itself directly and requires pure faith - the easy explanation of most faiths. Too easy if you ask me. The world's religions and sacred books smack of man and not a deity.

2. God can't reveal itself to us directly due to it not being a "god" in the conventional sense of the word. Perhaps it is just a spirit, force or power that we simpy cannot comprehend or perceive. If it is a spirit, maybe it can't "talk to us" because it is so far beyond us that those attempts would go unrecognized or impossible to understand. If it is some sort of universally pervading force or power, then maybe it can't reveal itself because it is not a cognizent being.

3. There is no god of any kind. I personally do not accept this and that could just be due to my inability to get beyond the "Is this all there is?" question and my cultural upbringing.
I lean towards 2 too, though like you, I recognize all 3 as possibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality