Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 09:48 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,328,455 times

Advertisements

i rather get dumped than cheated on.
a man can accept "im over u' or 'i lost interest'. what can u do if shes not interested, on to the next one.
no man can accept "i wanted to taste someone else's junk".

dumped > cheated on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 09:50 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,839,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Well I'd rather my woman have sex with another man, than fall out of love with and in love with somebody else.
I get what you are saying.

For some people, sex is just something physical - it doesn't mean anything to them emotionally.

This is why an emotional affair can be so much more powerful than just sex itself.

Once your partner has actual feelings for someone else - that person is in their head and heart - they're gone for good. You can't "fix" that, whereas you can sometimes fix what lead to the physical straying.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:52 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,150,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
i rather get dumped than cheated on.
a man can accept "im over u' or 'i lost interest'. what can u do if shes not interested, on to the next one.
no man can accept "i wanted to taste someone else's junk".

dumped > cheated on
Depends on much you value the relationship - esp. the romantic/love component.

I'm envisaging a fairly serious relationship, mind you. If I knew the girl for a few months and didn't feel too much for her than I wouldn't exactly be devastated by either.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:53 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,150,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I get what you are saying.

For some people, sex is just something physical - it doesn't mean anything to them emotionally.

This is why an emotional affair can be so much more powerful than just sex itself.

Once your partner has actual feelings for someone else - that person is in their head and heart - they're gone for good. You can't "fix" that, whereas you can sometimes fix what lead to the physical straying.
Yes, for me, the emotional component is the foundation of the RS whereas the sex is more like the spire on top. It's not totally lacking in emotional meaning but in a way it's actually secondary for me.

I could probably even have a platonic romantic relationship but I still have that drive.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:55 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,328,455 times
ehh that's why im not getting married. i rather date and not be bothered by sharing women than to spend 10-15 years then one day find out i've been sharing a woman who lied and said they'd be monogamous.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:54 PM

18,760 posts, read 11,822,947 times
DH had a close female friend at work. I affectionately called her his work wife. She retired a couple of months ago and I felt sorry for him. She would sneak away from work for an hour and watch Star Trek reruns with him which just wasn't my thing. DH doesn't let many people into his universe so I was grateful that he had her as a friend. I have many friends including male friends. One was a fishing buddy and his wife knew that he was safer with me than any other female. It's ridiculous to think that either of us wouldn't at some time in our marriage find someone else attractive either physically or emotionally. Those experiences make life richer. I think the key is trust and believing in the other person to always do the right thing. If that bond doesn't exist then why be married?

Old 06-14-2012, 12:18 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,178,174 times
Emotional affair defined...

any infidelity that occurs through feeling or thought. With the technological development of cell phones and the internet, the definition of cheating has been expanded to include the traditional definition, plus the feelings and/or thoughts that comprise emotional infidelity. Cheating now includes having intimate correspondence with someone while on a cell phone, meeting someone over the Internet and maintaining a close, personal relationship with someone other than your spouse. The difference between a physical affair and an emotional affair. The primary difference between a physical affair and an emotional affair is actual, physical contact. Usually, cheating involves people meeting face – to - face, and then engaging in physical intimacy. With an emotional affair, there may be a meeting, but it can occur on a cell phone or a computer and there is no physical intimacy. Many of the people who are emotionally cheating don’t consider it to be infidelity. Their thinking is that, because there is no actual physical contact, the behavior can’t be considered cheating.
The end result is that the unfaithful spouse is paying more emotional attention to someone other than their partner, and they are removing themselves from the commitment they made to their marriage.
An emotional affair can lead to a physical affair. An emotional affair begins with the exchange of personal information. As the people involved get acquainted, the information becomes more personal. Some argue that an emotional affair is harmless because it is more of a casual relationship than traditional cheating; however, the intimate nature of the communication, plus the emotional investment made by the people involved, places an emotional affair on the same level or worse as traditional cheating.
It is much more dangerous for a marriage should your spouse connect with someone emotionally than physically. Anyone who finds himself or herself drawn to another person on an emotional level should consider the possible consequences of such an affair. Emotional affairs are just as likely to lead to divorce and physical affairs.
The danger of an emotional affair. While it is healthy and normal for people to have friendships outside the marriage with men and women, an emotional affair threatens the emotional bond between spouses. Friendships are based on attraction, in that we are drawn to various qualities of our friends. Healthy friendships and attractions don't need to threaten a marriage at all, but add richness and enjoyment to life. When an attraction turns into an obsession or into an affair, it can become harmful to everyone involved and nothing is more harmful to a marriage than the breakdown of the emotional bond marital partners have for each other.

What Is An Emotional Affair?

Directed towards the OP whom states that there is no such thing as an emotional affair blah blah..
Emotional affair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What kills a marriage quicker: A physical affair or an emotional one? « A wide angle view of India

An emotional affair is when a person not only invests more of their emotional energy outside their marriage, but also receives emotional support and companionship from the new relationship…In an emotional affair, a person feels closer to the other party and may experience increasing sexual tension…cheaters are often guilt-free in an emotional affair because there is no sex involved

Old 06-14-2012, 12:27 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,178,174 times
Idiotic? How so?
Those platonic relationships we carry from adolescence till adulthood are always near and dear, these relationships carry a platonic air and have been established as thus..I can state that I have several friends that I have known and have been my bff's since 8th grade and earlier..

I would NEVER consider a bff a person from work unless they were of the same sex or gay. The timeframe I WOULD HAVE A ISSUE WITH. Men I know from work? Are merely co-workers and nothing more.
Guys I met at a bar and have known for 5 years? Bar buddies when it comes to my man! They are nothing to me, they do not make the sun set or sun go down.
I know a great deal of people but there are very few of the opposite sex that I would consider "good friends" And those that I do? Reflect back to jr high and hs..everybody else? is expendable..if you have this issue? refer to the articoles above and you may find that YOU may be the IDIOT.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:32 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,944,221 times
An emotional affair is an escape mechanism from the "painful reality" of one's marriage.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:46 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,448,751 times
Been there done that.

Had a (single male) "mutual friend" who ended up developing a relationship much closer to my wife. Fast forward three years and he's sending her dirty material behind my back, joking about them two having sex, putting me down, etc etc, while she becomes secretive, and makes excuses for his inappropriate behavior.

During the confrontation part he admitted having a crush on her for some time, but "respecting" our marriage,..he said he felt bad for sending her poems about them having sex, etc, he knew it was wrong, but couldn't control it. ..and if I "really wanted him to" - he would stop talking to her.

Reading some of these replies, it's clear some of the critics aren't aware of what they're talking about, as what they're describing is pretty different than what an "emotional affair" entails. I was fine with them two "as friends," but over the course of a few years it eventually progressed to something destructive to our marriage.

Theres a big difference..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships