Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:10 AM

146 posts, read 462,172 times

Advertisements

There's no such thing as an "emotional affair."

Get that.

There's no such thing as an "emotional affair!"

The whole idea is ridiculous; cheating with out sex?

And why does it seem like it's mostly women who believe these things exist?

Tell me, what's wrong with having friends of the opposite sex while you're dating someone?

Is a man supposed to habitually ignore ever other 2,999,999,999 women in the world just because he's with 1?

Tell me ladies; did you ever think that maybe it's GOOD that he doesn't reveal every waking thought and musing to you?

Did you ever think that while we're with you, we may be insecure about ourselves around you; that we're afraid to reveal some of our secrets because we're afraid you'll judge us? What's wrong with getting emotional support from another women?

I'm convinced that "emotional affairs" are the delusions of paranoid and manipulative women who just want to scare their men away from having normal, healthy platonic female friendships.

If there is such a thing as an "emotional affair;" that it's wrong to be close friends with other women while we're dating someone, then I've "cheated" on every girlfriend I've ever had!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 01:15 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
Well, I guess that settles it.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:24 AM

3,284 posts, read 3,523,555 times
When you willfully emotionally disconnect from your partner, without telling her and business as usual, that is cheating.

Just like insider trading where you don't physically steal anything, but you really are stealing.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:48 AM

146 posts, read 462,172 times
Are there also emotional-affair babies?

What about emotional-affair-transmitted-diseases?

Old 12-02-2009, 01:56 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Leather Jacket View Post

Now that's ridiculous.

What if they didn't have intercourse? What if they just kissed or had phone sex? As long as there are no babies or STD's, it would be fine? It wouldn't be cheating?

If you are perfectly fine with your SO engaging in inappropriate discussion and behavior with an ex behind your back, so be it. It is not just a simple friendship; it is a betrayal. Enjoy.

Last edited by PassTheChocolate; 12-02-2009 at 02:10 AM..

Old 12-02-2009, 02:05 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Leather Jacket View Post

Do you think things like phone sex are appropriate in a relationship? Can't have babies from that either.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:15 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,923,439 times
it's a hard one to call

it could be argued that if you take something from someone else, that you should be taking from your partner, then that could be classed as an emotional affair.

however, that description would also fit a "best friend".

i think it depends on what kind of love there is for the other person.

i'm undecided at this stage, but curious to see where the thread goes.

interesting topic.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:31 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
They are in love but had no sex.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:40 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,765 times
I guess I'm insecure, over-emotional, and a manipulative spouse then.

I had a boyfriend back in college who had a best friend and she was a girl. I really enjoyed her, I would have picked her to be a best friend too, she was wonderful. However, he "got" something from his relationship with her that he didn't find in ours. That's fine, until he began hanging out with her more than me, talked more with her over the phone than he ever called me, and it just seemed to me he had more fun with her.

He told me it was just a different sort of relationship. It was as if, I got the sex and comfort of companionship, and he got to have these long intelligent conversations about life, sex, and the world with her. These were the things I desired with my own SO. Ya who's not going to feel short changed here?

The reason its termed "Affair" , emotional affair, is because it causes discord and disharmony in the relationship. Not to him of course, but to HER. If she is feeling uneven here...out of balance....well you go ahead and call it insecure.

I call it "leaving me left out of this wonderful relationship". He used up all his energy with her, all be it emotional or otherwise, and I felt like the "left over" or just the physical portion of his life. Of course it was more than that, but that's how it left me feeling. Engaging in a deep conversation with him was reserved for her, so I left them at it.

And moved on.

To each their own I guess.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:08 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,350,760 times
Yes , to each their own , dearheart.
IMO any behavior that diverts your emotions from your SO is cheating. Keep this 'emotional affair' going and in the blink of an eye , it will become physical. At this point , nothing will ever be the same.

ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships