Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 06:41 PM

361 posts, read 725,994 times

Advertisements

Relationship?
Is that a weird thing to say when you don't really know each other that well? I don't want to scare him off but I'd rather tell him what's going on before he insists on pursuing this any further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 06:47 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,256,878 times
At this stage in the relationship you don't owe him an explanation, although one is generally appreciated. All you really need to say, however, is that you are simply not interested in pursuing this any further.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:55 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,486,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
Relationship?
Is that a weird thing to say when you don't really know each other that well? I don't want to scare him off but I'd rather tell him what's going on before he insists on pursuing this any further.
In my experience, people who say that are almost always lying. Truth is, they're just not into you, but are too chicken to say so. Sure, people sometimes carry emotional baggage. But if someone like you--I mean really like you--they'll take a chance anyway.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:00 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,302,584 times
Is there any reason why you can't just be social but not in an official dating capacity?
Do you have mutual friends that you can meet up with (in separate vehicles) to visit and chat in a group setting?
If he is someone you want to spend some time with why not invite him to go for a walk in the park (take your dog if you have one), meet at the museum, art gallery, things like that. Out in public and not a more intimate setting, then you can slowly get to know each other in neutral territory.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:06 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,016,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
In my experience, people who say that are almost always lying. Truth is, they're just not into you, but are too chicken to say so. Sure, people sometimes carry emotional baggage. But if someone like you--I mean really like you--they'll take a chance anyway.
Your experience is limited. You will never really know how someone else feels.

I've told someone that I need time before because I wanted to make sure I was in the right place to start. I really liked him but it never got off the ground for other reasons. I would never be so stupid to walk into a relationship knowing that possible "baggage" is sitting in my lap.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:10 PM

361 posts, read 725,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
At this stage in the relationship you don't owe him an explanation, although one is generally appreciated. All you really need to say, however, is that you are simply not interested in pursuing this any further.
Well, problem is I kind of like him. I'm not sure he'll hang around if I tell him what the deal is with me. He does seem serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
um,, it's the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Is there any reason why you can't just be social but not in an official dating capacity?
Do you have mutual friends that you can meet up with (in separate vehicles) to visit and chat in a group setting?
If he is someone you want to spend some time with why not invite him to go for a walk in the park (take your dog if you have one), meet at the museum, art gallery, things like that. Out in public and not a more intimate setting, then you can slowly get to know each other in neutral territory.
Well, I agree to getting to know each other, but this will eventually lead to something more serious that I can't handle at this time and I'll probably mess it up before we even get started.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:12 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,302,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
Well, problem is I kind of like him. I'm not sure he'll hang around if I tell him what the deal is with me. He does seem serious.

um,, it's the other way around.

Well, I agree to getting to know each other, but this will eventually lead to something more serious that I can't handle at this time and I'll probably mess it up before we even get started.
It does not have to lead to anything beyond being friends and it is your choice to move at your own pace.
He either accepts it and moves at your pace or he moves on.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:16 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,020,393 times
OP, if it's the truth, I'd say it's not only okay, but the right thing to do. If you are not ready to date (regardless of the reason) then you are not ready to date. At the same time, if the guy in question is ready to date and chooses to move on, that is a decision you should respect.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:17 PM

727 posts, read 1,534,845 times
Tell him straight up. Tell him, "I think you're great, but I just got out of a rough relationship. I need to sort some things out in my head, so I need some time to myself. I hope you understand."

I wish more people were straightforward and honest.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:18 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,273,750 times
What you're basically saying is that you're interested in a future relationship with him. If you are, great. But if you just want him to go away and stay away, don't give him false hope like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships