Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2010, 05:07 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,986,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I don't think it's that arbitrary. Grown adults make choices. They can do so with care or not.

The uncertainty factor can flip a person.
Alas, the whole dance of love and relationships is a suckers game.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:35 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,592,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichirenx View Post
The uncertainty factor can flip a person.
Alas, the whole dance of love and relationships is a suckers game.
But well worth the risks when it works out. Anyone can look back at any situation and think of ways to change it for the better. None of us have crystal balls. You can protect yourself from harm but you prevent yourself from experiencing joy when you do. You have to risk to win.

If you never put your heart on the line, you will never know what love is. You may never know if you do but you WILL never know if you don't.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:48 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,943,325 times
I think it should be law from the beginning to have one. So every child knows who their daddy is. Also it would stop a lot of deadbeat dads from not paying. It would show what women is skanky with 3 or more fathers of her children.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:50 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,592,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I think it should be law from the beginning to have one. So every child knows who their daddy is. Also it would stop a lot of deadbeat dads from not paying. It would show what women is skanky with 3 or more fathers of her children.
That is assuming you get a positive match for the dad. However, you'll be testing a lot of children and their father's for nothing. And there are genetic conditions that can result in a parent testing as not being the parent when they really are.

My daddy isn't the man who sired me. He's the man who raised me.

And why are women "skanky" if they sleep around while men will boast about the number of partners they've had

Old 04-10-2010, 05:54 PM

994 posts, read 1,683,957 times
I have been thinking of this for some time and perhaps a paternity test can be applied in another fashion. Perhaps instead of forcing them upon newborns, we can change the laws and require a paternity test to grant child support.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:07 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,704,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
They don't have to be weekend fathers. I'm not talking about their relationship with their children, I'm talking about their relationship with their children's mother. They're free to make any custody arrangements they care to.

When dh and I separated, the default was two nights a week and every other weekend and I had made the accusation he was an alcoholic. It is not difficult for fathers to see their children. They just have to put in the effort.

They're not, actually. The courts like to restrict fathers' ability to raise their children if the mother wants to screw them over.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:08 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,943,325 times
Quote:
That is assuming you get a positive match for the dad. However, you'll be testing a lot of children and their father's for nothing. And there are genetic conditions that can result in a parent testing as not being the parent when they really are.

My daddy isn't the man who sired me. He's the man who raised me.

And why are women "skanky" if they sleep around while men will boast about the number of partners they've had
I don't think either is good. A man spreading his seed around and diseases is horrible too. My ex after a year of dating wanted me to get a paternity test when I got pregnant. At first, yes I was very angry I'll admit it. I yelled at him, "How many Korean guys do you think I was with????!" But in Pa the man has to pay for it. And go figure it came out his.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
But well worth the risks when it works out. Anyone can look back at any situation and think of ways to change it for the better. None of us have crystal balls. You can protect yourself from harm but you prevent yourself from experiencing joy when you do. You have to risk to win.

If you never put your heart on the line, you will never know what love is. You may never know if you do but you WILL never know if you don't.
Depends on your perspective.
Relationship love is not worth the risk to me.
To those of you who it is worth it, you have my respect.
The love from my fam and my nieces, nephews, and little cousins is enough for me.

I do have certain knowledge I want to possess that I would risk my life, sanity, limbs for or sell my proverbial soul to the devil for.
Because, well, to know it would be just like feeling love to those who value that.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_kernel View Post
I have been thinking of this for some time and perhaps a paternity test can be applied in another fashion. Perhaps instead of forcing them upon newborns, we can change the laws and require a paternity test to grant child support.
So instead of the man being able to choose, its mandated.....
That may be more practical.
Because if child support is an issue, then they are either unmarried or getting divorces/separated.

There should be an opt out clause because some guys do not care to know.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:24 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,225,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichirenx View Post
Why would a person have issues if their current mate or a previous one sacrificed for the sake of the situation?
That is the reason for a lot of the forums.
Dissatisfaction.
I don't understand the question with your response to it. Obviously, if a person is sacrificing and get slapped in return, people aren't going to be happy with it. That's my point.

Quote:
And men have never really been able to voice theirs until cyberspace got popular. That is why you see so many posts about it.
Men are voicing their objections to what is going on.
Traditionally the whole 'men are dogs' situation had hold in many circles.
Now having experienced the other side of the coin, guys are responding with vehemence.
I really don't understand these objections that are targeted at the female gender. To start, the idea that all men are dogs is a bigoted view. And yea, there are plenty of bigots out there, but it's a choice to spend time with or bed them. In turn, it's also bigoted to hold all women responsible for the problems you (general you) have relationship wise. With that in mind, it goes to show what I always say- 'birds of a feather'. And it's really personal experiences at the heart of complaints on this forum.

I find it all limiting. These guys are boxing themselves in real tight and they will get exactly what they expect, as usual with most of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships