Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 03:10 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,424,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatitosmommy View Post
can somebody tell me what "response to an orphaned post" means, & why 2 of my msgs were deleted because of it???
It means that the thread was so old, it didn't matter anymore who posted. Usually you can ask the mod directly by dming her/him, they encourage that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 08:54 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,111,514 times
No it actually means that a post was removed and your post was in response to the removed posting.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:46 PM

22,149 posts, read 19,203,648 times
i don't think of it so much as a way to make money or generate revenue, but more as a way to keep marriage partners on their better behavior, and appreciate what they have in their partner, and take some responsibility each of them for nourishing and tending the marriage. Just like a garden, if it's not fed and watered, it dies and stops blossoming.

i always liked the idea of having to re-decide every year or few years whether to stay together or not.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:50 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,682,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
happy to provide links on anything i post.
One can provide links to anything. If someone chooses to say the Earth is flat, he can provide links to that, too. (Go ahead, Huck -- report me any time I call you on this nonsense.) I'm sure you can provide links -- you just can't provide any that are verifiable or that don't manipulate the data.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,159 times
wow, this is weird, ive been think this for a while.

Im really torn, as im a christian and a firm believer in marriage.

But im not a big fan of seeing celebrities getting married and
only after a year getting divorced.

I also dont like the idea of co-habitation, even though I can see the
sense of it.

I am married and it isnt easy living with someone else, their habbits
and yours.

I was just wondering if there was a way to make less divorce and
more people in marriages they are happy with.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:57 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
More government bureaucracy and legislation and hoops to jump through? Standing in line at some cheerless grey dungeon while joyless drones make minimum wage to approve my paperwork? Sounds super awesome!!

Old 01-02-2011, 03:29 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
maybe make it more like three years? and not charge for a renewal?

Old 01-02-2011, 03:57 PM

649 posts, read 1,423,108 times
I haven't read all the post but, I think there should be a 2 year trail period. If the couple decides to stay together, then they can renew for a permanent marriage licence or go there separate ways. If there are kids involve before or during the trial period, then the marriage becomes permanent and the only way of separation is through divorce. The 2 years is good, because it gives the couple time to get through the adjustment period of marraige and really find out if they are meant for one another.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:57 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,387,108 times
Should marriage have an expiration date?

Sure, if you marry the wrong person.

If you marry the right person, the expiration date occurs when the husband or wife dies. People involved in a succession of train wreck "relationships" never seem to get this.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:39 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,987,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I saw this on Yahoo News. Someone was proposing that the initial contract for a marriage last seven years, at which time you could either walk away or sign on for another seven. As a news commentator pointed out, you'd still have to divorce for all intents and purposes if you didn't want to renew after the first seven years so it really doesn't solve or change anything.
To me, this really doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. It makes things more serious than just a one-year, yet one partner can't just go abusing the other right, left and center because s/he "can't get out of it" without a "messy divorce".

I realize the legalities (children; property; etc.) could make things really sticky and people could wind up getting hurt, especially the children...but let's face it, children REALLY get hurt during an ugly divorce.

I wish this existed...I really do...I think it's brilliant. There would be a lot of kinks to work out but it would sure make each partner try harder...IMO. There would be a lot less taking a person for granted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships