Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 03:06 PM

207 posts, read 108,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I almost skipped this thread because it sounded boring. But now I am glad I stopped by.

hahaha, Joker is my middle name! My last name is, I can't cook an egg without burning it!

That is one long surname
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 03:15 PM

19,386 posts, read 15,224,747 times
Meditates to oneself: Serenity now, serenity now, I am at one with the univers- -- damn, that chick sure knows how to fill out a pair of yoga pants.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:59 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,302,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I keep reading this from various places. Can any guys attest to the validity of this? Of course one would have to be interested in yoga in the first place or it wouldn't work. But regardless, I'm still skeptical. I'd imagine it would be similar to going to the gym. I workout all the time and the gym seems off limits to meeting women. So I'd imagine with yoga it would be the same. You would go do your yoga and then afterwards everyone would just go there separate way? I would think any guy at a yoga class would stick out like a sore thumb. They would appear like they are there just to pick up women.

I think college/class is the #1 place to meet women. I regret not taking advantage of it when I was younger.
I don't think the gym or yoga class is the place to meet women. When I'm at the gym I'm in workout mode and the headphones go on so I'm not disturbed.

Same thing for college (well for me). I went there to study, not buddy.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:08 PM

477 posts, read 276,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I don't think the gym or yoga class is the place to meet women. When I'm at the gym I'm in workout mode and the headphones go on so I'm not disturbed.

Same thing for college (well for me). I went there to study, not buddy.
That's all well and good for women, but men don't have those options, not if they want to successfully meet a woman.

Women want to strictly control the actual amount of potential-romantic interaction between men and women in their favor.

They don't want to be approached in a multitude of places, they don't want to be approached during the majority of time in a day.

They don't want to be asked out at work.

They don't want to be asked out while doing activities.

They will go to a club or bar, but they're *just* there to dance or drink.

Basically, the onus is on men to psychically anticipate that small window of opportunity in which she MIGHT be receptive, and likely still strike out.

Why do women complain about "aggressive men" when women support a system in which the man is expected to do all the work in initiating romantic contact between the sexes?

Some men get aggressive because they've experienced what passivity holds for them... a lonely future.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:32 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post

Some men get aggressive because they've experienced what passivity holds for them... a lonely future.
Learn the difference between "aggressive" and "assertive," and stop feeling sorry for yourself.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:55 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,643,960 times
I definitely think a guy should try a YOGA class. They are generally estrogen-fests and you will get major points if you're actually into yoga! I know many-a-yoga-girl who is in love with her male yoga instructor (who is one of the few males there).

PS - if you really want to score - become a yoga instructor.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:21 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,033,875 times
Quote:
That's all well and good for women, but men don't have those options, not if they want to successfully meet a woman.

Women want to strictly control the actual amount of potential-romantic interaction between men and women in their favor.

They don't want to be approached in a multitude of places, they don't want to be approached during the majority of time in a day.

Basically, the onus is on men to psychically anticipate that small window of opportunity in which she MIGHT be receptive, and likely still strike out.

Why do women complain about "aggressive men" when women support a system in which the man is expected to do all the work in initiating romantic contact between the sexes?

This reminds me of a video I recall about "Why 99% percent of guys don't approach woman" That a single guys' life is seeing an attractive woman, but not able to be able to do anything (approach).

He draws a bar, one end of the spectrum is where a guy approaches ANY woman he likes, then the other side is where he doesn't apporach at all

Then the rest of the population of men..."They wait for the right moment". And we're not good at judging WHEn is the right moment. And when we do, we cannot figure out what to say or do when we do approach...which is why men approach them doing something that's creepy as hell. lol

https://youtu.be/zY9TVpgqf_I

Old 07-11-2018, 11:14 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,640,743 times
Quote:

First of all, the poster you quoted is a guy. Not sure if you're aware of that.

Secondly, while mostly you're right that women don't do as much of the approaching, I have seen that if a woman is really available and really wanting to find someone, and no guys are approaching her, depending on the woman she might start putting more effort into it. I mean, if showing up looking her best isn't getting results, she'll start flirting with guys she's interested in. With increasing levels of overtness, the longer she goes without getting results.

Granted I'm an extrovert and not exactly typical, but there was a point in my dating adventures where I realized that I wanted something very specific. Since none of my "options" to that point fit the bill, I started looking for them. I reached out to a couple of guys online who seemed like good candidates, and I was a bit too forward for one of them, and he spooked. Then my present boyfriend messaged me, so he did initiate the interaction, but as we were getting together at social events a while, I kept waiting for him to "make a move" to take it into sexual territory, and despite me trying to hint that I was down for that...he just didn't. I was trying to learn from my prior mistake and not throw my cards down on the table and be too bold, but he did not seem to be taking the bait, and I was really wondering if he was interested. Finally one night he told me that he just didn't feel comfortable taking women's hints, so he thought he'd probably missed out on opportunities with other women in the past...so I was like "alright, what the hell" and I went ahead and propositioned him in plain language. And that was all it took.

If a woman is wanting something...we navigate the playing field the way we think we need to, but we do learn from what's going on around us and try to adjust accordingly. Our choices don't happen in a vacuum.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:33 PM

477 posts, read 276,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Finally one night he told me that he just didn't feel comfortable taking women's hints, so he thought he'd probably missed out on opportunities with other women in the past...so I was like "alright, what the hell" and I went ahead and propositioned him in plain language. And that was all it took.
I applaud you! Many men appreciate honesty and a woman who doesn't feel the need to have everything happen "intuitively." That whole "meet cute" expectation with perfectly written dialogue showing how confident and witty and *practiced* the man is.

The bolded is pretty #MeToo there...

Old 07-11-2018, 04:27 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,640,743 times
Quote:
I applaud you! Many men appreciate honesty and a woman who doesn't feel the need to have everything happen "intuitively." That whole "meet cute" expectation with perfectly written dialogue showing how confident and witty and *practiced* the man is.

The bolded is pretty #MeToo there...
Not really, at least not in his case. More that having been raised by feminists and women who were a bit on the overbearing side, he did not want to come off as predatory, especially as an older guy who finds younger women attractive. And then, too, the social awkwardness and some lack of self-confidence made him think, "Nah, no way she meant that..." when maybe she absolutely did mean that. It was the lifetime's accumulated experience of a man in his late 50's.

I find him endlessly fascinating and delightfully unique.

Thing is, I tried to listen to what guys said they wanted starting when I was barely in my teens, overhearing guys talking on the bus to high school. I tried to figure out how they wanted women to act, I tried to play this game and that. The mistake I made was the same mistake many people make. Men don't have a hive mind any more than women do. What one man thinks is refreshingly direct and honest, the next man thinks is too bold and forward, or too "easy." Wow, shocker, men are individuals who think different things in their different brains! Same as women. So probably the best we can all do is fly by the seat of our pants here (lol) and do our best with each interaction, try to be nice, and hope maybe it all works out. Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't. Life goes on.

There it is. The sum of all my wisdom and experience. Nobody really knows what the hell they are doing and we're all just making it up as we go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships