Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2020, 08:03 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,405,586 times

Advertisements

On average I’ll gain 26 pounds over winter and probably need wider jeans. This year I’m eating more nuts, cheese and cookies than normal. So I’m expecting a 33 pound increase.
Since I’m a rather large vegetarian with fur, I consider myself a supersized squirrel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2020, 08:39 AM

4,031 posts, read 3,311,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Chow have you and the Mrs every been to Portos Cuban Bakery? The food and Pastries are excellent. There’s always a huge line and the place is always busy. The closest one to you I believe is in Burbank.
They make these little fried potato and beef balls that are to die for! Check their reviews.
We’d go there for dessert after having a steak dinner at a place called Damon’s Steakhouse a couple of doors down. It’s a funky little hole in the wall place with a decor of a little fishing type village. Bamboo, nets, fish...
It too is always packed so you have to be prepared to wait. The food is worth it though. Just the salad and garlic bread are worth a visit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
You can get the potato balls alone or have them on a sandwich with ham and Turkey. Porto’s is huge! Downstairs they have the pastries and food, upstairs is nothing but cakes. Cakes for days! Lol
Seriously if you ever get a chance you should check them out.
Damon’s Steakhouse was started in 1937, and still going strong.
I have to agree Portos was really awesome. It is in Burbank.

Old 12-08-2020, 10:42 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,564,908 times
Trying not to feed the trolls lest I get my hand smacked by the mods , but for the life of me I cannot figure out why a repeat poster keeps referencing a post that I made in the Fashion and Beauty sub forum this past spring.

No longer engaging with that person seems to be the best tactic, but in a way, I do have much empathy for someone who seems to suffer from a severe case of body dysmorphia and really hope that they can find some help to work through what's torturing them so. Mental/emotional pain can be just as bad (and sometimes worse) than that of a physical nature.

Old 12-08-2020, 11:09 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Trying not to feed the trolls lest I get my hand smacked by the mods , but for the life of me I cannot figure out why a repeat poster keeps referencing a post that I made in the Fashion and Beauty sub forum this past spring.

No longer engaging with that person seems to be the best tactic, but in a way, I do have much empathy for someone who seems to suffer from a severe case of body dysmorphia and really hope that they can find some help to work through what's torturing them so. Mental/emotional pain can be just as bad (and sometimes worse) than that of a physical nature.
That person is obviously in a bad place, and I hope they get they help they so desperately need. Which is not from here. I try to sit on my hands with them, but it's hard not to respond, which of course the poster feeds off of. Sometimes I wish the MO was to not delete the threads this person starts, because people give good advice that just disappears into the ether. But, them's the rules.

Old 12-08-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That person is obviously in a bad place, and I hope they get they help they so desperately need. Which is not from here. I try to sit on my hands with them, but it's hard not to respond, which of course the poster feeds off of. Sometimes I wish the MO was to not delete the threads this person starts, because people give good advice that just disappears into the ether. But, them's the rules.
Once that poster veers off into his racist tangents, there's no saving those threads. Other than that, that O.P. has received some solid advice, but I don't think that he's in a headspace to able to heed it and apply it to his own situation.

I worry that he'll do something to himself out of desperation. If he's for real and not a bored troll making up stories for his own amusement, he's certainly headed down that path.

Old 12-08-2020, 11:33 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
And I know we're not supposed to question validity, but I wonder if we're being catfished a bit there. The poster is supposedly in his mid-20s, but makes no cultural references that a zoomer would make. He'd never heard of BTS, which many women his age love. His examples of attractive men that girls like are c-list middle-aged TV movie actors, old enough to be his father. His current username is a reference to a John Grisham novel, and he just responded to a post with "balderdash", which I'm pretty sure isn't sweeping Tik Tok.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 12-08-2020 at 12:01 PM..

Old 12-08-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
And I know we're not supposed to question validity, but I wonder if we're being catfished a bit there. The poster is supposedly in his mid-20s, but makes no cultural references that a zoomer would make. They just said "balderdash", which I'm pretty sure isn't sweeping Tik Tok.
Eh. There are plenty of younger folks in my circle who make and understand references that you wouldn't think that they would. Not every young person is into the current cultural scene and if they're one of the younger people at their place of employment (they mentioned this in the past as being so) and hung out with older folks when they were younger, such language makes sense. Heck, my twenty-year-old nephew makes a lot a anachronistic references, which reflects the environment in which he was raised.

I remember being able to make and get the cultural references of earlier generations back when I was his age, too, so it's not out of line. (Big reader, lover of classic film, spent more time with adults than other kids when I was a child.)

If he's a big movie watcher (and a lot of his usernames reference film with one recent name referring to Jack Lemmon's character in The Apartment), he's more likely to have a broader cultural and verbal vocabulary.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 12-08-2020 at 11:53 AM..

Old 12-08-2020, 11:54 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,870,295 times
Quote:
And I know we're not supposed to question validity, but I wonder if we're being catfished a bit there. The poster is supposedly in his mid-20s, but makes no cultural references that a zoomer would make. He'd never heard of BTS, which many women his age love. His current username is a reference to a John Grisham novel, and he just responded to a post with "balderdash", which I'm pretty sure isn't sweeping Tik Tok.
When I see an example of that, I immediately picture they have mostly spent time with their mom, or were raised by grandma. Still lives there. I’ve seen quit a bit of that here. One poster constantly referencing Brad Pitt or Cindy Crawford as the height of “hotness”... and the poster is in their early 30s?

The poster FKAT has stalking her with references of “PerLa” is really more in the frightening category to me though. Just a feeling from where he’s obsessing. Elliot Rodger.

Old 12-08-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
When I see an example of that, I immediately picture they have mostly spent time with their mom, or were raised by grandma. Still lives there. I’ve seen quit a bit of that here. One poster constantly referencing Brad Pitt or Cindy Crawford as the height of “hotness”... and the poster is in their early 30s?

The poster FKAT has stalking her with references of “PerLa” is really more in the frightening category to me though. Just a feeling from where he’s obsessing. Elliot Rodger.
I don't feel threatened, just sad for them. That poster is young enough to have been my child had I "put my order in early" as they say.

My worry is more for that person in terms if they decide to self-harm in order to end their pain and unrequited desire, although their loathing of seeing people coupled up is also worrisome.

Old 12-08-2020, 12:03 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,870,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
I don't feel threatened, just sad for them. That poster is young enough to have been my child had I "put my order in early" as they say.

My worry is more for that person in terms if they decide to self-harm in order to end their pain and unrequited desire, although their loathing of seeing people coupled up is also worrisome.
I’m more concerned for the innocent people around him. I don’t see his posts anymore though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships