Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2020, 12:15 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,713,819 times

Advertisements

The last 2 days have been so rough! My home life can be stressful....

Hope you are all doing well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 12:29 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
I’ve never lived in really bad neighborhoods, but I did get mugged there once. That was enough for me to stay away.
I learned as a young adult how to move through those environments like you belong, and that was enough so that the locals in the poor black neighborhood did not bother me. The other key to existing there, was that I actually did take change and I did give it to some folks, and I tried to stop and chat and listen. I made a few connections, and I guess I did not seem like a target. The vibe I put off was, "I don't have much, but what I do have, I will share with you." I never felt, in that neighborhood, like the residents were looking for someone to punish or to be cruel to. They were just poor. Their lives were hard. But I could imagine, if someone were walking through looking rigid, uptight, or seriously out of place, they might draw attention or be targeted there.

In the poor white neighborhood though, there were a lot of drunk and belligerent adults, the crazy lady who had like a hundred small dogs, the feral children who seemed not to go to school, who were the kind who would as soon try to kill a pregnant woman on the street, as they would to torture animals... When it came to the low income, low resource, "low class" folks in the Cincinnati area when I lived there, the black community was by FAR kinder to me. And I did not see them letting their children run wild.

Note, I am white, as was my partner and family.

But different cities probably vary. One thing I can say though, is that from what I have seen, impoverished Americans really do tend to segregate along fairly hard racial lines.

Anyways, this is just...observations. And it has been many years, and in a lot of ways, the American social landscape has changed dramatically since 1998.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post

I am sorry to hear that you're having a hard time.

I had a stressful few days, because I had a pregnancy scare. For multiple significant reasons including a tubal ligation I had some years ago, this should not be possible. I will NOT be raising another child. Period. Ever. Don't care what I have to do, it's not happening. So having physiological signs I've only ever associated with pregnancy...not a happy or comfortable thing for me.

But this morning I guess my body was like, "Nah, just messin' with ya! You should have seen the look on your face!"

I am not amused.

Old 09-23-2020, 12:46 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,713,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I learned as a young adult how to move through those environments like you belong, and that was enough so that the locals in the poor black neighborhood did not bother me. The other key to existing there, was that I actually did take change and I did give it to some folks, and I tried to stop and chat and listen. I made a few connections, and I guess I did not seem like a target. The vibe I put off was, "I don't have much, but what I do have, I will share with you." I never felt, in that neighborhood, like the residents were looking for someone to punish or to be cruel to. They were just poor. Their lives were hard. But I could imagine, if someone were walking through looking rigid, uptight, or seriously out of place, they might draw attention or be targeted there.

In the poor white neighborhood though, there were a lot of drunk and belligerent adults, the crazy lady who had like a hundred small dogs, the feral children who seemed not to go to school, who were the kind who would as soon try to kill a pregnant woman on the street, as they would to torture animals... When it came to the low income, low resource, "low class" folks in the Cincinnati area when I lived there, the black community was by FAR kinder to me. And I did not see them letting their children run wild.

Note, I am white, as was my partner and family.

But different cities probably vary. One thing I can say though, is that from what I have seen, impoverished Americans really do tend to segregate along fairly hard racial lines.

Anyways, this is just...observations. And it has been many years, and in a lot of ways, the American social landscape has changed dramatically since 1998.

I am sorry to hear that you're having a hard time.

I had a stressful few days, because I had a pregnancy scare. For multiple significant reasons including a tubal ligation I had some years ago, this should not be possible. I will NOT be raising another child. Period. Ever. Don't care what I have to do, it's not happening. So having physiological signs I've only ever associated with pregnancy...not a happy or comfortable thing for me.

But this morning I guess my body was like, "Nah, just messin' with ya! You should have seen the look on your face!"

I am not amused.
Thanks!

Sorry about your scare. Totally understand how that could be a bit crazy.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:36 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,406,083 times
Quote:

That’s unfortunate. What happened ?
I’m getting a bit frustrated with the lack of accountability some people show at work. But that isn’t really extreme stress to me.

Last edited by FrozenI69; 09-23-2020 at 02:45 PM..

Old 09-23-2020, 02:47 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've got a project going on in South Central Los Angeles.

Got to go make a site visit to see how things are going and it's sort of funny, you see movies or things in the media about South Central or Compton for that matter and you'd think it's a war zone. Yeah, it can be a bit dicey at times I guess, but in the day in particular I've never had any issues over the years going to projects in those areas. Most of the time you see just average people on the streets. I'm not so sure about what happens after dark of course, but whatever.
I made it a point to go to Florence and Normadie when I was in LA in May for historical value and I didn’t feel unsafe at all. I think people remember the late 80s and early 90s there (especially the movies about it) and think it is an active war zone. The only place I’ve really ever felt uncomfortable was a super not well lit part of NE Baltimore where I went to a rave, but the locals were actually cool.

Old 09-23-2020, 03:17 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I made it a point to go to Florence and Normandie when I was in LA in May for historical value and I didn’t feel unsafe at all. I think people remember the late 80s and early 90s there (especially the movies about it) and think it is an active war zone. The only place I’ve really ever felt uncomfortable was a super not well lit part of NE Baltimore where I went to a rave, but the locals were actually cool.

Old 09-23-2020, 03:35 PM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
I live in a city neighborhood that's not dangerous, but isn't totally gentrified, either. It's always surprising when people who only come into the city for special events think that every urban area is like a war zone and they're going to get carjacked.

Old 09-23-2020, 03:58 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Quote:
Thanks!

Sorry about your scare. Totally understand how that could be a bit crazy.
The other night I had a dream that I was pregnant... again. I woke up at him. ( like it was all “his” fault) I wanted to punch him in the face while he was peacefully sleeping.
The next day I made an appointment to have an IUD inserted. Lol

Old 09-23-2020, 05:26 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
I got my informed voter booklet thing in the mail today. It's huge. I read through it... In my area there are 13 judges up to be affirmed or tossed. The booklet says they all do a great job. I went forth and googled them and did some poking around, found news, petitions, bios, and other info... A few are flat out awesome people who seem to really be making the world a better place. Two of them have serious controversies where they let off violent child predators on questionable technicalities or plea deals. And not just "very little jail time" slaps on the wrist, but straight up released these dudes into the wild.

When we vote, our ballot just has this long list of names. In this country, it's amazing if most voters know anything beyond the Presidential race. But the local stuff is really, really important. It is arguably more relevant to our everyday lives. I wish people would take the time to do this more carefully and mindfully. I'm trying...

Old 09-23-2020, 07:47 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,871,783 times
Quote:

Sorry to hear that...shrugs......super sorry ...ofc I disagree...home-life can be super stressful ... imo

(Ok, did that make you smile at all?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships