Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2017, 10:00 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
When I was little, my parents temporarily took in some birds that belonged to some relatives. One was a parrot. He would walk up your arm to perch on your shoulder. There were four of us kids. He was fine with the rest of us, but he would always bite my one brother's ear. We have no idea why. Maybe he smelled fear. lol
Years ago when I was about eight - I'm now 70 - our next door neighbor had two, large African Gray parrots who were kept in a huge, outdoor cage (this was in southern California) that he absolutely loved. He and his family were going on a week-long vacation and he asked my father to look after them. My father told Herb, the neighbors first name, he would be glad to.

Once the family left for their vacation, every evening after work my father took a pitcher of martinis and a glass over to our neighbor's patio, sat down in a chair next to the parrot's cage and started saying, over and over, "Herb, you son of a ____." After several days the parrots began to repeat it. When the family returned, Herb rushed over to the age to see his "babies" and you can tell what happened. The parrots never forgot it and I don't think Herb ever forgave my father.

I still, over 60 years later, chuckle over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 10:03 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Some pleasant posts here recently.
Life happens . . .

Old 03-12-2017, 02:53 PM

19,431 posts, read 15,259,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
years ago when i was about eight - i'm now 70 - our next door neighbor had two, large african gray parrots who were kept in a huge, outdoor cage (this was in southern california) that he absolutely loved. He and his family were going on a week-long vacation and he asked my father to look after them. My father told herb, the neighbors first name, he would be glad to.

Once the family left for their vacation, every evening after work my father took a pitcher of martinis and a glass over to our neighbor's patio, sat down in a chair next to the parrot's cage and started saying, over and over, "herb, you son of a ____." after several days the parrots began to repeat it. When the family returned, herb rushed over to the age to see his "babies" and you can tell what happened. The parrots never forgot it and i don't think herb ever forgave my father.

lol! :d

Old 03-12-2017, 03:30 PM

I stopped at Taco Bell for dinner. They ask what the customer's name is, so now I know that some guy named "Bill" wears his jeans well.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Years ago when I was about eight - I'm now 70 - our next door neighbor had two, large African Gray parrots who were kept in a huge, outdoor cage (this was in southern California) that he absolutely loved. He and his family were going on a week-long vacation and he asked my father to look after them. My father told Herb, the neighbors first name, he would be glad to.

Once the family left for their vacation, every evening after work my father took a pitcher of martinis and a glass over to our neighbor's patio, sat down in a chair next to the parrot's cage and started saying, over and over, "Herb, you son of a ____." After several days the parrots began to repeat it. When the family returned, Herb rushed over to the age to see his "babies" and you can tell what happened. The parrots never forgot it and I don't think Herb ever forgave my father.

This could a scene in "Grumpy Old Men".

Old 03-12-2017, 03:43 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:

LOL, sounds like something Mrs. Chow's dad would do, we both read this and her and I thought the same thing. LOL. While it's funny, I wouldn't do something like that myself. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I stopped at Taco Bell for dinner. They ask what the customer's name is, so now I know that some guy named "Bill" wears his jeans well.
LOL, ol' bill is being ogled.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:44 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,871,783 times
Quote:
My father told Herb, the neighbors first name, he would be glad to.
Once the family left for their vacation, every evening after work my father took a pitcher of martinis and a glass over to our neighbor's patio, sat down in a chair next to the parrot's cage and started saying, over and over, "Herb, you son of a ____."
I want to grow up to be just like your father. What fun!
(I hope you just forgot the part where he fed the birds, too.)

Old 03-12-2017, 04:42 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,727,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Mrs. Chow one time showed me this vid clip of a bird, not sure, probably a parrot and in the vid this bird knew words and could actually have a conversion, I mean it was bizarre, it comprehended the meaning of the words, there was no way that it was just trained because of the randomness and flow of the conversation with the owner or trainer or whatever.

It actually really took me aback. It made me look at animals and birds in particular in a different way and sometimes challenges me on the fact that I like eating meat makes me think a bit about it more.
I told my cousin it was a little frightening when he told me that the bird he has actually laughs at the jokes they tell.

Like he actually UNDERSTANDS the punch line. It's scary but cool at the same time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
I want a talking bird! I tried to teach my parakeets to talk when I was little and crazy.
I swear I could hear them whispering to each other in the dark after I went to bed.
They probably were!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
lol

Love the name.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
I want to grow up to be just like your father. What fun!
(I hope you just forgot the part where he fed the birds, too.)
I did forget and actually I think I fed them. Thankfully, I inherited my father's twisted sense of humor. He was an SOB but he had his moments.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
This could a scene in "Grumpy Old Men".
Yep! And now I are one too!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships