Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 11:28 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Seeing that Bigamy and Polygamy is banned in all 50 states you would be wrong. You are definitly forced to marry only one person.

GAMY is a suffix that means MARRIAGE which can only be made illegal in a strictly legal sense. Anyone is welcome to engage in poly AMORY.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:29 AM

393 posts, read 466,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
Well, no. They tell their partner their inclinations before they cheat so the partner is given fair warning if they wish to continue with the relationship or no.
And that's not being selfish? It will certainly cause great hurt feelings. I don't believe in honesty even if it's more likely to do harm than dishonesty. I'd rather my partner just do it secretly and get it out of their system. I wouldn't think they were doing me a favor by doing what you're advocating.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:29 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi64 View Post
People change over time, and can't always foresee that they'll do so. An agreement which seemed sound at the time it was made may not work in the future.
So? Then you follow the established procedures to end the agreement. Just like any other legal agreement. If you break the agreement before ending it, then you may be subject to some kind of penalty... just like if you break any other contract while it's terms are active.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:30 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
You can be forced to marry? I thought you could opt out of getting married and still practice the forms of bigamy/polygamy. You can even marry one person (keep it legal, folks!) and still practice the forms of any other thing you wish.
Yeah but I want to have 700 wives and 300 concubines like King Solomon did.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:31 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,482 times
Quote:
And that's not being selfish? It will certainly cause great hurt feelings. I don't believe in honesty even if it's more likely to do harm than dishonesty. I'd rather my partner just do it secretly and get it out of their system. I wouldn't think they were doing me a favor by doing what you're advocating.
Well that is your choice if you'd rather have your partner do it secretly..not everyone else feels that way.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:32 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Yeah, people can justify ****ty behavior in any way they wish, but it doesnt change the fact that they are being selfish. Just like the author of this article. If you need to try this hard to justify your whorish behavior, than perhaps you need better command of your actions or accept that youre a *****.
What selfishness are you speaking of? Any kind of relationship can be selfish if that's the motivation of one or more of the participants. It seems you have a conservatively narrow view of what constitutes a good relationship. That's great if it works for you, but it doesn't for everyone, and I take exception when you use hate-talk about views that differ from your own. I guess you can justify your own bad behavior, though.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
So? Then you follow the established procedures to end the agreement. Just like any other legal agreement. If you break the agreement before ending it, then you may be subject to some kind of penalty... just like if you break any other contract while it's terms are active.
I find this post incredibly obtuse. An agreement to be monogamous is NOT like any other agreement. Unlike business agreements, it involves feelings. In a normal legal agreement, you can ask the other party if the would be willing to revise it, and the worst that's likely to happen is they'll say no and the business relationship will continue as it was before. With this issue, however, just saying you'd like to change it will damage/end a marriage/relationship that both parties may value very much. There's a big difference, and to pretend otherwise it itself highly dishonest.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:36 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
I find this post incredibly obtuse. An agreement to be monogamous is NOT like any other agreement. Unlike business agreements, it involves feelings. In a normal legal agreement, you can ask the other party if the would be willing to revise it, and the worst that's likely to happen is they'll say no and the business relationship will continue as it was before. With this issue, however, just saying you'd like to change it will damage/end a marriage/relationship that both parties may value very much. There's a big difference, and to pretend otherwise it itself highly dishonest.
If that is the case, then I think that is really sad and indicative of a pretty shallow, brittle relationship.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
If that is the case, then I think that is really sad and indicative of a pretty shallow, brittle relationship.
It indicates the people in the relationship are normal human beings.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
Well that is your choice if you'd rather have your partner do it secretly..not everyone else feels that way.
Why is there some sort of right to be in a relationship with people who behave they way you want them to anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships