Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 11:19 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,900,330 times

Advertisements

I'm married and monogamous. It is what I prefer and it works for me. I don't care what others do.

I was briefly in a nonexclusive, "open" relationship. My then boyfriend decided that is what he wanted and instead of walking away, I said okay. Except he never met anyone and I did. He couldn't handle it.

In my opinion, while some might say they want the freedom of a nonmonogamous relationship, they have a lot of problems when they see their partner being nonexclusive. Plus when people hear you are in a nonexclusive relationship, I think they see you much differently than they would if they assumed/knew you were planning to be exclusive. At least that was my experience.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:20 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,481,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi64 View Post
So you would gladly tell the Gestapo that a Jewish family was hiding in your neighbor's house, even if you knew they'd be deported and gassed?
Darn it, Pi, don't cloud this nice idealistic view of life with real moral issues, or mention the 32 volume leather bound set of special circumstances and exceptions where it doesn't apply.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:21 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,433,178 times
Quote:
If "hurt" means someone's feelings getting hurt, well, that's not realistic to expect that never to happen.
No. I mean like how my wife and her siblings were hurt when their mother decided not to be monogamous (in front of their faces).

Old 06-06-2013, 11:21 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,205,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nald View Post
Monogamy was shown to be the most successful model in human history and still is.
Based on what outcome that defines"successful"? When I think back on history, monogamous marriage does not look that successful to me. It has been a means of transferring ownership, providing for inheritance. That does not seem like anything that could not be done with plain old law. It has also given people a mechanism to safely abuse and hurt each other.

Quote:
Those who argue differently obviously are fooling themselves and they already had a stock excuse, they were simply never monogamous to begin with.

Only thing that is sacrificed in monogamy is the fact that people (both men and women) generally lose that lust towards each other when they have sex repeatedly for years and years, they become accustomed to each other. An ideal way to keep the lust the same way is to have sex with a different person each day, preferably with different shapes/features.
Well first of all, many of us HAVEN'T lost lust with our spouses. But non-monogamy does not include solely being 'ho. (Truth be told, many dishonest cheaters are happy to call themselves "monogamous. Things that make you go hmmmm.) There are, among us, those of many different configurations including exclusive polyamory which has nothing to do with shape or feature. But, gasp, LOVE. I know, love is a strangely uncommon topic to discuss on this board. But for many of us, it is quite important.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:22 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,433,178 times
Quote:
People change over time, and can't always foresee that they'll do so. An agreement which seemed sound at the time it was made may not work in the future.
That's where commitment comes in.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:24 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,481,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Seeing that Bigamy and Polygamy is banned in all 50 states you would be wrong. You are definitly forced to marry only one person.
You can be forced to marry? I thought you could opt out of getting married and still practice the forms of bigamy/polygamy. You can even marry one person (keep it legal, folks!) and still practice the forms of any other thing you wish.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:24 AM

393 posts, read 466,927 times
Another problem with the "either be completely monogamous or have an 'open' relationship" school of thought is that for some people, neither works. Someone might not be happy being monogamous but also be too insecure and jealous to be able to know that the partner is having sex with others. For these people, "cheating" is likely to be the only workable solution.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:25 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,612,330 times
Yeah, people can justify ****ty behavior in any way they wish, but it doesnt change the fact that they are being selfish. Just like the author of this article. If you need to try this hard to justify your whorish behavior, than perhaps you need better command of your actions or accept that youre a *****.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:26 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,900,330 times
Quote:
Another problem with the "either be completely monogamous or have an 'open' relationship" school of thought is that for some people, neither works. Someone might not be happy being monogamous but also be too insecure and jealous to be able to know that the partner is having sex with others. For these people, "cheating" is likely to be the only workable solution.
Well, no. They tell their partner their inclinations before they cheat so the partner is given fair warning if they wish to continue with the relationship or no.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:26 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,038,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Seeing that Bigamy and Polygamy is banned in all 50 states you would be wrong. You are definitly forced to marry only one person.
If you do marry, being required to marry one person is not forcing you to marry.

No your not forced to marry anyone. You do not have to marry anybody at all.

Then if you do marry someone, you are not forced to agree to be monogamous with them. That is between you and them, and an issue you usually agree to long before marriage anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.