Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2013, 12:06 PM

106 posts, read 171,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Better for who? The fatherless child?

We will just have to agree to disagree.
It would be incredibly hypocritical of him to try to contact the kid now. He says he would be open to receive him but he won't take the first step. I would like to have another nephew, they are never too many.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:06 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,249,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Must have missed this.

If he leaves her but takes care of the child financially (or offers to) then he has fullfilled his obligations in my opinion.

I would NEVER want someone to stay with me out of obligation.
Financial obligations are not the only obligations of parent. A parent is supposed to help prepare a child for adulthood and be there to provide wisdom and knowledge.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:07 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,241,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDavid View Post
He was married at the time and already had 3 sons. He was also furious with the situation, even though both of them were obviously responsible for it. He had a paternity test and then kept sending the money everyday. I think he contacts the mother every once in a while. I think he regrets it now but after all this time, it's better to stay that way.
Are you saying that your brother was married, cheated and got the woman pregnant?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elained10 View Post
Thank you very much

I want a solid career so I can always provide for my son and I. I wouldn't want to meet someone then have them support me the thought of that makes me cringe lol
Absolutely. Do not ever rely on anyone financially (man or woman), especially with children in the picture.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:07 PM

2,386 posts, read 3,275,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Green_50 View Post
You already did in that pic I sent you with my nephew and I.

See above ^ Elaine knows what it meant.
I want to see it live though

Old 04-13-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Are you saying that your brother was married, cheated and got the woman pregnant?
Yes. He and my SIL decided to divorce recently after more than 30 years of marriage.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:08 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,902,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
It's okay, but my attitude is that planned pregnancies are a far better option.
I don't think anyone would disagree with you about this.

But once an unplanned pregnancy has happened everyone involved has to shift their focus from that to what the reality is and make it the best situation possible, which many manage to do

Old 04-13-2013, 12:11 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,113,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Financial obligations are not the only obligations of parent. A parent is supposed to help prepare a child for adulthood and be there to provide wisdom and knowledge.

I edited that, however I have mixed feelings about that. If he doesn't want the child and doesn't want to be there but does so out of obligation then it's not really ideal parenting.

I know several people like this. Dad is in the picture when he wants to be and then he drops off the face of the earth for a while. The kids suffer greatly because of this.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:11 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,902,551 times
Quote:
It would be incredibly hypocritical of him to try to contact the kid now. He says he would be open to receive him but he won't take the first step. I would like to have another nephew, they are never too many.
The kid is ONLY 17

He's got his WHOLE life in front of him. He's only lived a tiny fraction of it (hopefully).

Suppose he has no good men in his life? No one to teach him how to be a man?

Or maybe he does have a really good step-father? Does your brother at least know that?

Old 04-13-2013, 12:12 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,241,792 times
Quote:
Yes. He and my SIL decided to divorce recently after more than 30 years of marriage.
And from that you conclude that this other woman planned the pregnancy since she should have been on birth control for your cheating ass of a brother? You and your family are some stock, eh?

Old 04-13-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The kid is ONLY 17

He's got his WHOLE life in front of him. He's only lived a tiny fraction of it (hopefully).

Suppose he has no good men in his life? No one to teach him how to be a man?

Or maybe he does have a really good step-father? Does your brother at least know that?
The kid would probably be mad at my brother if he just showed up one day (and rightfully so). He knows my brother's name, he has a mother and a father in his ID.

As far as I know, the woman hasn't been with anyone since the boy was born but who knows? The other problem is that my "legitimate" nephews don't know about his existance, so it would be another drama for my brother to sort out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships