Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 06:43 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,744,162 times

Advertisements

I don't think single motherhood is glorified at all.

And I know Nia Long and her mother. Her mother is a lovely, free-spirited woman and neither of them hate men. From what I remember, her mother was never married. The problem may start there with the devaluing marriage.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:51 PM

19,018 posts, read 25,270,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Shows like Teen Mom make it look great. Not to mention our society's attitude of free sex. Sadly free sex has resulted in this situation and add in the welfare system that rewards those with children out of wedlock while penalizing those who don't.
I can't say I'm familiar with the show, although I did read some reviews about it today and what the reviewers were saying wasn't good. Maybe it comes off different from a teen's perspective. Second, I'm not sure what free sex, or cost sex, is supposed to mean outside hookers. I also don't agree that people who don't have children out of wedlock are penalized. That hasn't been my experience at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I don't think single motherhood is glorified at all.

And I know Nia Long and her mother. Her mother is a lovely, free-spirited woman and neither of them hate men. From what I remember, her mother was never married. The problem may start there with the devaluing marriage.
Agreed. I just don't see the glorification, but it could be an age thing.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:14 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,929,016 times
But the thing is is they are given an incentive to have kids and not be married they won't. I used to live in an area with a high teen pregnancy and it was nothing to see teen moms with several babies or boys to have gotten a couple of them pregnant. They were all on welfare and the welfare system here is generous.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:21 PM

19,018 posts, read 25,270,349 times
Quote:
But the thing is is they are given an incentive to have kids and not be married they won't. I used to live in an area with a high teen pregnancy and it was nothing to see teen moms with several babies or boys to have gotten a couple of them pregnant. They were all on welfare and the welfare system here is generous.
As a society I don't think we could make the decision to not try to help these children. What's the alternative? That they don't eat and have shelter? It's a hard situation. As I've mentioned before, I think it woud be reasonable to have welfare stipulated with BC.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:31 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,868,076 times
Few men walk away. Some men are not strong and are easily driven away by the proposed pressures and responsibilities of fatherhood and husbandry. Society puts up as many stumbling blocks in the path of fatherhood. Especially if the man is poor. It is better to have a poor father around who contributes nothing than no father around who contributes nothing material.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:39 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,501,457 times
Quote:
Shows like Teen Mom make it look great. Not to mention our society's attitude of free sex. Sadly free sex has resulted in this situation and add in the welfare system that rewards those with children out of wedlock while penalizing those who don't.
teen moms make it great by giving the participants mtv money and "trash star" status. it looks great because it is great for them (the teen mothers) considering their situation...at least financially speaking. their other personal issues are already present before mtv gets involved.

Last edited by rego00123; 04-15-2013 at 09:50 PM..

Old 04-15-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
As a society I don't think we could make the decision to not try to help these children. What's the alternative? That they don't eat and have shelter? It's a hard situation. As I've mentioned before, I think it woud be reasonable to have welfare stipulated with BC.
I think requiring them to use birth control should be required but it's more than that. I would like to see a system where adoption is promoted. Also, a society where casual sex isn't treated like it is. Back when I was a teen it was stigmatized to have an out of wedlock baby but many years later it was treated great as in "oh look she has a baby, now I want one as well".

Old 04-15-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
teen moms make it great by giving the participants mtv money and "trash star" status. it looks great because it is great for them (the teen mothers) considering their situation.
I was watching something and it was showing these teen girls who want to get pregnant because of Teen Mom and it made me sick.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:52 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,501,457 times
Quote:
I was watching something and it was showing these teen girls who want to get pregnant because of Teen Mom and it made me sick.
pretty much.
its a free ride to them. people taking care of you and your child...but that's babies having babies for you.
they already know how to manipulate mommy and daddy and the addition of getting attention while being payed for it is just even more icing on the cake.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:30 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,744,162 times
Quote:
I think requiring them to use birth control should be required but it's more than that. I would like to see a system where adoption is promoted. Also, a society where casual sex isn't treated like it is. Back when I was a teen it was stigmatized to have an out of wedlock baby but many years later it was treated great as in "oh look she has a baby, now I want one as well".
I'm socially conservative but I understand that you can not require someone to use birth control. It is an ethical slippery slope to go down and that is why it hasn't been done yet. Same is true for adoption. There is no alternative to welfare. The best the U.S. has come up with is stricter child support laws. In Europe, they have even heavier welfare systems than the U.S.

I agree that the media today does not help people overall be more responsible though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.