Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 04:19 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Seems like they're against men having the right to know if it's his or not. If he does, they'll end the relationship or divorce over mere doubt.
Nobody is saying what you should or should not do. I'm not against you doing anything. If anything, I think it has been clearly stated that men such as yourself have a pretty high correct guess rate (30 % is good odds), so of course you should proceed with your suspicions.
Quote:
In that case, a man should move on if he has doubts. That's what I did and it turned out she confirmed my doubts.
Of that I have zero doubt.

Last edited by Braunwyn; 04-18-2013 at 04:32 AM..

Old 04-18-2013, 04:22 AM

Quote:
In that case, men should hold on to getting married then. That way they can find out the truth of their paternity. If they're not the father, they can move on without dealing with stress in a divorce had they got married.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Once you get put into a life changing situation you shouldn't have to rely on trust alone. It's a life changing situation for you. Your life is about change. You take command of it.
Let's back up here a bit. "Men" like you guys, who have every right to suspect, are not a group that umbrella's or represents men in general or men across the board. Same goes for your female counterparts. I think it's important to note the distinction in these conversations.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:34 AM

677 posts, read 1,194,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
"Men" like you guys
Hmmm...Men who dare to doubt a woman's word are "Men". That says plenty about you...

Old 04-18-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
Hmmm...Men who dare to doubt a woman's word are "Men". That says plenty about you...
No, it doesn't. I'm a long time, happily married woman. The men on this forum who make such charges against women en masse, with your various forms of mental/emotional illness, poor upbringings, social ineptness, dysfunctional relationships, or whatever personal problems you deal with says everything about the accuser and nothing about a population. With that said, for 3-4th time, statistics show that men who do suspect usually have a reason to suspect because they are in f*cked up relationships. I don't deny that so I'm not sure what's so complicated to grasp here. And I'm not sure what that says about me...not that you will have the capacity to address it.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:18 AM

1,839 posts, read 3,067,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Once you get put into a life changing situation you shouldn't have to rely on trust alone. It's a life changing situation for you. Your life is about change. You take command of it.
I disagree, I think it's quite strange that a man would have to ask for a paternity test. What kind of woman, as I stated this is a boyfriend / girlfriend relationship, without giving any reason for doubt , is not going to be offended by a request for a paternity test? I'd be offended. I don't think I'd go as far as to say the relationship would change after such a request, the relationship is changed anyway by getting pregnant.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastwomanstanding View Post
I disagree, I think it's quite strange that a man would have to ask for a paternity test. What kind of woman, as I stated this is a boyfriend / girlfriend relationship, without giving any reason for doubt , is not going to be offended by a request for a paternity test? I'd be offended. I don't think I'd go as far as to say the relationship would change after such a request, the relationship is changed anyway by getting pregnant.
Likely, the kind of woman these men date.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:33 AM

861 posts, read 1,456,876 times
He's a coward and not a real man. It takes two to tango to make a baby.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:51 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,475,163 times
If I were in a non-marital non-living-together relationship, I would almost certainly ask for a paternity test whether or not I wanted to keep the relationship going. False paternity rates vary from less than 1% to as high as 30%, and are highly correlated with the "class" (economic, social, educational, status) of the people involved. The highest rated mates have the lowest rate of false paternity, while the least desirable mates have the highest rates.

If I had no wish to continue the relationship - and that would only be the case if we weren't compatible for a long-term relationship - I'd absolutely demand a paternity test.

Given that over 40% of births are to unwed mothers, many of those women are choosing to have a child without a partner as there is little stigma associated with this now. They want a sperm donor, not a relationship, and are unashamed about using a man this way and also asking for child support. Men have to protect themselves, as the legal system does not. Too bad if the woman is offended - if she has nothing to hide, she should be glad to prove her claim and put the man's mind at ease in the process.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
If I were in a non-marital non-living-together relationship, I would almost certainly ask for a paternity test whether or not I wanted to keep the relationship going. False paternity rates vary from less than 1% to as high as 30%, and are highly correlated with the "class" (economic, social, educational, status) of the people involved. The highest rated mates have the lowest rate of false paternity, while the least desirable mates have the highest rates.

If I had no wish to continue the relationship - and that would only be the case if we weren't compatible for a long-term relationship - I'd absolutely demand a paternity test.
No they don't. That's a misunderstood statistic. I've linked a site that breaks it down. According to the research, as I'm understanding it, 30% of suspected cases in specific demographics turn out to be founded. So, if that demographic is as high as 40% of the population, which we know is not possible, than the highest rate would be 40% x 30% = 12%. And that's an inflated, made up number.
eta:

For example...
Quote:
- Men with high paternity confidence (subjects in genetic studies) have very low rates of nonpaternity (median = 1.9%, N = 22).
- Men with extremely low paternity confidence (cases of disputed paternity resulting in paternity tests) have much higher levels of nonpaternity (median = 30.2%, N = 30).
- When the high and unknown paternity confidence samples are combined, the median nonpaternity is 3.9% (range: 0.4 – 32.0)." "Furthermore, the difference in nonpaternity between these groups remains when compared by geographical region (U.S., Europe, and elsewhere)".
N= rates by nation, not individual samples.

http://www.childsupportanalysis.co.u..._paternity.htm
http://www.psc.isr.umich.edu/pubs/abs/4910

Last edited by Braunwyn; 04-18-2013 at 09:08 AM..

Old 04-18-2013, 09:41 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,475,163 times
Statistics are part of the story, but actual hard data is VERY hard to come by for good reason. The overall false paternity rate is fairly low (most of the "reliable" estimates are 2%-4%), but in some populations it may be as high as 30%. I did not say otherwise. Perhaps you're not disagreeing, as you said "30% of suspected cases in specific demographics turn out to be founded".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships