Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 05:00 PM

20,369 posts, read 14,644,040 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever had the desire to compliment someone, but no desire to be taken as having inappropriate intentions, so just kept your mouth shut?

I think about this sometimes...often, I wish to express to a guy that he has appealing or attractive qualities, be it appearance or wit or talent, but don't want him to think I'm coming on to him. And yet, in this world, I think all of us could use the little boost that comes with a sincere compliment for its own sake. So I actually feel bad for not giving it. You know?

Recent and relevant example, pertaining to one of our own here. Inebriated Duck. I think your posts are clever, interesting, and often humorous. Your pictures in your profile are nice. I don't mean for anything to come of that, I just thought you should know.

I bet guys feel the pain of this more often than ladies. Guys, do you ever want to compliment a woman just because you think she is deserving of it, and not because you hope to gain anything personally from doing so? Do you then sometimes withhold the compliment because she might think you're coming on to her?

Does anyone else think it's a little sad that one has to second guess oneself on something like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 05:03 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Nah.
Life's too short.
If you sincerely mean the compliment, then give it.
People appreciate being noticed like that.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:05 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,559,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Has anyone ever had the desire to compliment someone, but no desire to be taken as having inappropriate intentions, so just kept your mouth shut?

I think about this sometimes...often, I wish to express to a guy that he has appealing or attractive qualities, be it appearance or wit or talent, but don't want him to think I'm coming on to him. And yet, in this world, I think all of us could use the little boost that comes with a sincere compliment for its own sake. So I actually feel bad for not giving it. You know?

Recent and relevant example, pertaining to one of our own here. Inebriated Duck. I think your posts are clever, interesting, and often humorous. Your pictures in your profile are nice. I don't mean for anything to come of that, I just thought you should know.

I bet guys feel the pain of this more often than ladies. Guys, do you ever want to compliment a woman just because you think she is deserving of it, and not because you hope to gain anything personally from doing so? Do you then sometimes withhold the compliment because she might think you're coming on to her?

Does anyone else think it's a little sad that one has to second guess oneself on something like this?
Plenty of times.
Compliments are nice, I have only received one from my profile photo.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:08 PM

904 posts, read 1,381,786 times
It's quite horrible. I regularly face that problem with people. I can't compliment a woman at the office because they could, if they choose, report me to HR.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:27 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,991,145 times
I haven't given compliments to a woman IRL in a very long time, and there's reasons why I do not hand out compliments anymore.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:29 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhacer View Post
It's quite horrible. I regularly face that problem with people. I can't compliment a woman at the office because they could, if they choose, report me to HR.
Only if you compliment them on their looks.
I doubt they'd have a case for HR if you actually complimented them on something of substance, like what a good job they did on the tps report, etc.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:32 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,366,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhacer View Post
Well, what the heck are you complimenting? "Nice ass," is generally frowned upon in polite circles, but "Nice shoes" or "That's a great dress" is pretty neutral.

There is, however, an argument to be made that if you wouldn't say it to a co-worker of the same sex (assuming you're hetero), you probably shouldn't say it to your co-worker of the opposite sex.

But the funny thing is, a lot of straight guys won't compliment other guys because they worry it will be perceived as a sexual come on or seem "gay," yet they wonder how a compliment to a person of the gender they actually ARE attracted to could possibly be perceived as such. It's a little bit of cognitive dissonance there, I think.

Hey, I have no problem with compliments. Heck, I know when one of the industry guys I run into sometimes complimented me on my dress at the last conference, it was because the dress made my boobs look pretty huge. Whatever - it DID look pretty damn good, lol. But I can see why that would bother some women.

When I lost 20 lbs, my male bosses were effusive in their praise. There was nothing remotely sexual in it - they were just happy for me. I have that kind of relationship with them.

Context is everything, also. If you're typically the guy who keeps to himself and doesn't talk to his co-workers then drops a "Lovely shirt" compliment on one of your female co-workers and that's all you've said to her all year beyond "Hello" and "Do you have your TPS sheet?" it's gonna be kinda creepy. If you have a good working relationship with someone and don't make them feel uncomfortable on a daily basis, they're going to be flattered not taking offense.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Only if you compliment them on their looks.
I doubt they'd have a case for HR if you actually complimented them on something of substance, like what a good job they did on the tps report, etc.
That's very true.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Well, what the heck are you complimenting? "Nice ass," is generally frowned upon in polite circles, but "Nice shoes" or "That's a great dress" is pretty neutral.

There is, however, an argument to be made that if you wouldn't say it to a co-worker of the same sex (assuming you're hetero), you probably shouldn't say it to your co-worker of the opposite sex.

But the funny thing is, a lot of straight guys won't compliment other guys because they worry it will be perceived as a sexual come on or seem "gay," yet they wonder how a compliment to a person of the gender they actually ARE attracted to could possibly be perceived as such. It's a little bit of cognitive dissonance there, I think.

Hey, I have no problem with compliments. Heck, I know when one of the industry guys I run into sometimes complimented me on my dress at the last conference, it was because the dress made my boobs look pretty huge. Whatever - it DID look pretty damn good, lol. But I can see why that would bother some women.

When I lost 20 lbs, my male bosses were effusive in their praise. There was nothing remotely sexual in it - they were just happy for me. I have that kind of relationship with them.

Context is everything, also. If you're typically the guy who keeps to himself and doesn't talk to his co-workers then drops a "Lovely shirt" compliment on one of your female co-workers and that's all you've said to her all year beyond "Hello" and "Do you have your TPS sheet?" it's gonna be kinda creepy. If you have a good working relationship with someone and don't make them feel uncomfortable on a daily basis, they're going to be flattered not taking offense.
I've never worried about complimenting guys either, but I do worry about complimenting the gals. There are some that I have enough of a relationship with that I can and not worry but in general it's a no no.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:47 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
My compliments don't get too personal. I can't resist complimenting a good tie, I like artistic ties on a guy. If they take it as a come-on, that's their problem. They'll be disappointed. The day we have to clam up about little day-brighteners like that will be a sad day, indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships