Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:22 PM

733 posts, read 1,756,201 times

Advertisements

Just a bit ago, I saw online a guy complimenting a girl...simply saying "You're cute." The girl replied with "Thanks, but I'm taken." Is it just that girl, or do most females think that if a guy compliments them on their looks, that the guy automatically wants to date them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 07:29 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
Just a bit ago, I saw online a guy complimenting a girl...simply saying "You're cute." The girl replied with "Thanks, but I'm taken." Is it just that girl, or do most females think that if a guy compliments them on their looks, that the guy automatically wants to date them?
Maybe she just said "I'm taken" out of respect for her guy, especially if he witnessed this compliment.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:29 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,202,100 times
Well...that was a bit presumptious(spelling) of her. If a guy compliments me on my looks, I just figure he finds me attractive. No big deal. I would have just said " Thank you " and left it at that. The 'I'm taken' part didnt need to be said just because the guy gave a simple compliment.

Edit to add; If he kept on talking to her, and started to 'hit' on her, THEN she could have said she was taken. BUT..if the guy just gives a compliment and HE doesnt take it any further, then there is no need for all that.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:33 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Depends on the context. If I'm in a bar or something and someone comes up to me to say something like that to me - I'll thank them and politely tell them I'm married. It's not to be rude - I just don't want them to waste their time on me. I guess what I'm saying - is if it looks like they are planning on striking up a conversation with me - I'll let them know so they don't waste their time. If it's a "drive by" compliment - I'll thank them and leave it at that!

Old 04-10-2012, 07:59 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
Quote:
Absolutely not.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:15 PM

733 posts, read 1,663,757 times
I do not make such assumptions. Some guys are just polite and charming. And if they find me cute, good for them! No need to mention the "I'm taken bit" unless asked a direct question or if the guy asked you out.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:20 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,451,329 times
my wife gets compliments quite a bit from working in a mostly male dominated industry.
shes makes it a point to let them know in this way since most males will not go out of there way to drop compliments if they are not already thinking something else.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:16 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,009,690 times
Depends on the compliment and context for me.

As a guy, I will compliment a woman on her looks differently if I just want to acknowledge she looks nice today, then I would if I was being flirty.

I would put "your cute" into the context of a guy trying to be a little flirtatious, and not just complimentary.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:43 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Depends on the compliment and context for me.

As a guy, I will compliment a woman on her looks differently if I just want to acknowledge she looks nice today, then I would if I was being flirty.

I would put "your cute" into the context of a guy trying to be a little flirtatious, and not just complimentary.
Exactly. A compliment would be "I like what you did with your hair" or "That's a great pic of you!" Something like "You're cute/sexy/beautiful" is definitely flirty and if a girl is taken, she should let the guy know at that point.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:48 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
Quote:
A lot of guys like to creep on Facebook or other sites like that and comment on other female's pictures with similar comments. Some girls take it further than it was intended while others simply brush it off as nothing. However, most of the time, the woman does general feel like the guy is interested in potentially dating her. I've noticed that when I comment on some girl's photos, they often text me within the next day or two and start giving me signs that she's interested too.

It's very weird how the internet leaves a lot of room for people to mistake certain emotions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships