Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you date a woman with aspergers?
Yes 18 45.00%
No 12 30.00%
I don't know. Explain below. 10 25.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-2012, 03:38 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,121,043 times

Advertisements

No, I can't say I would
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 12:56 PM

264 posts, read 266,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
men usually slap us with a label like that stupid moron beta 12 just did. but yet A.S. men are seen as downtrodden and just desperate for love. I get so sick of it. Adult A.S. women are basically treated like we're nonexistent within that community.
You just called somebody a stupid moron? Isn't your reaction kind of typical for people with AS which is no correlation between the actual event and your reaction?

Most people have no idea what AS is and what are the symptoms. I can add to this thread that all that clingy "search for love" AS patients talk about has nothing to do with actual human emotions.
If someone makes a mistakes and believes AS patient and his/her "emotions" he/she will be punished. It's all a passive / aggressive scheme.
Not the same but similar to a mistake of falling in love/dating/marrying someone with strong bi-polar: you just can't ever believe what you see.

I don't think dating anyone with severe emotional problems is healthy. Unless you love drama or have your own issues.

Last edited by noworneveragain; 09-13-2012 at 01:12 PM..

Old 09-13-2012, 01:46 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,431,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
To the guys who answered "It depends/I don't know/Explain below":

I've noticed that most of you've suggested that it depends on how attractive she is. Like if she's attractive enough, it wouldn't matter. Does that mean that personality is not so important to you?
This is City Data. Do you really need to ask that question?

Old 09-13-2012, 04:00 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,736,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noworneveragain View Post
You just called somebody a stupid moron? Isn't your reaction kind of typical for people with AS which is no correlation between the actual event and your reaction?

Most people have no idea what AS is and what are the symptoms. I can add to this thread that all that clingy "search for love" AS patients talk about has nothing to do with actual human emotions.
If someone makes a mistakes and believes AS patient and his/her "emotions" he/she will be punished. It's all a passive / aggressive scheme.
Not the same but similar to a mistake of falling in love/dating/marrying someone with strong bi-polar: you just can't ever believe what you see.

I don't think dating anyone with severe emotional problems is healthy. Unless you love drama or have your own issues.

I don't know whether it's 'typical' or not and don't care. I guess if it is 'typical' it would make sense, wouldn't it? Seeing as I have A.S.

I have no idea what else you're talking about here.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:11 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
What I think is that some men will screw any woman who is open to it. I have met a woman recently whom I think would fit the profile of autistic. I feel she is not heterosexual, but I don't know, so I hope she is not vulnerable.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:14 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,381,834 times
It depends on how high functioning she is and if she can bond with you. Mostly, I think of this as a series of quirks that one has to put up with and work around, if I'm not mistaken. Better this in an attractive and smart woman who somehow found a way to care about you than one who is with you for the wrong reasons.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
What I think is that some men will screw any woman who is open to it. I have met a woman recently whom I think would fit the profile of autistic. I feel she is not heterosexual, but I don't know, so I hope she is not vulnerable.
The thing is that we are not talking about screwing but dating.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I don't know whether it's 'typical' or not and don't care. I guess if it is 'typical' it would make sense, wouldn't it? Seeing as I have A.S.

I have no idea what else you're talking about here.
Of course you don't. Let's try it this way. Do you think you scould find your AS from your boyfriend?

Old 09-13-2012, 06:28 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,736,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noworneveragain View Post
Of course you don't. Let's try it this way. Do you think you scould find your AS from your boyfriend?

what do you mean 'of course I don't'

and what? I don't have a boyfriend? sorry but I am unclear on what all you're talking about. some kind of language barrier or something.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:32 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beta12 View Post
I did that. My GF had Asperger's and... PhD in psychology. To make it short, I am glad I did not end up in psychiatric ward.

My advice; stay away of crazies of any kind and keep your eyes open. Women are crazy enough as they come...
Aspies are not all 'crazies.' In fact I'd say most aspies I know are probably more rational and sound of mind than most non-aspies. I don't even think of it as a mental disease/condition/disorder but a natural variation. Great people like Da Vinci, Einstein and Bill Gates probably had AS.

Anyone heard of Temple Gradin? She's probably one of the most famous people with AS but while she's 'high functioning' she's on the more extreme end. Many people with AS have happy, well-functioning relationships. It just requires a bit of understanding. You know those geeks in school? Good chance they were AS or have AS traits.

I'm probably borderline Asperger's (one doc says he thinks I have it, another doesn't) but I'm better at reading body language.etc that sort of thing. My main thing is having obsessive interests. I know a few girls with mild autism/AS and honestly, often you wouldn't know. Things aren't always obvious. There are 'benefits' if you like. They won't ask if they think this outfit makes them look fat and get angry when you tell the truth, they are GENERALLY more honest and straight-forward (aspies are still people and all people can lie). They can also more easily rationalize a situation, but they still emotions as much as anybody else, can be as loving and compassionate and caring. They CAN show 'normal' human emotions, they aren't JUST interested in subjects, objects and nerdy things.

If she was a good person I would say sure, I would date her in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships