Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 08:49 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,784,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
You made poor choices and so has he. Get yourselves into counseling if you want to save this marriage...you've got a lot of obstacles to overcome right now.
I do hope they are in counseling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 08:52 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,823,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
What happens before marriage stays before marriage. You did not cheat.

Your only concern now is what you want to do with the marriage.
^^ That's right. You were a 19 year old kid, unmarried. NOT the same thing. And you should NOT bring it up. Unless you want the unnecessary drama. You're not 19 anymore.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Nope, when I was 19 I had been dating my husband for about a year. We were long distance at that time. I never got drunk as a teenager either. The first and last time that happened was last summer when I was 37yrs old. I guess I wasn't the typical teen.

However, I do know this. If my husband cheated on me when we were dating, I would not be sitting here calling him my husband. I would have parted ways with him at that point.
No, you weren't

I don't want to come off harshly, so please forgive me if I don't say this right okay?

Teenagers make mistakes - there's a huge learning curve.

One of the big mistakes they make is to cheat, especially when alcohol is involved.

If your husband, who was your boyfriend as a teen, would have cheated on you and you are sure that event would ended your feelings for him, then maybe, just maybe, he wasn't the one you were supposed to be with anyway.

Now, the same could be said for our OP - maybe this info would have kept her husband from marrying her - but we just don't know that.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:00 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,085,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
If your husband, who was your boyfriend as a teen, would have cheated on you and you are sure that event would ended your feelings for him, then maybe, just maybe, he wasn't the one you were supposed to be with anyway.

Now, the same could be said for our OP - maybe this info would have kept her husband from marrying her - but we just don't know that.
If he cheated on me before marriage...no he definitely wouldn't have been the one I would have married. I dumped the guy before him because he was cheating on me (and later come to find out, I was the other woman, completely unaware...the one I thought he was cheating with was his "original" girlfriend). But yeah...told him "see ya" without a second thought.

If cheating had occured during marriage it would really depend on the situation.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
I still can't buy into that. I cannot be the only person on this planet who can still think while intoxicated.

Strong guidance? I don't think it was that strong, more like my parents knew I had a good head on my shoulders and allowed me to do about anything I wanted and didn't give me a curfew. Just knowing what's safe and what wasn't safe was enough for me to understand what I should and shouldn't do, which included relationships among other things.
And that's all well and good - just saying, even the teens with good heads on their shoulders have a learning curve.

They all make mistakes, some more damaging and permanent than others - some like you fared better

And NOBODY thinks completely straight when they are drunk - nobody. Your body won't let you.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:05 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,012,037 times
Yup. Done arguing. I'm not swaying.

Good luck with the marriage. Hope it works out. This is just a really bad subject for me and it's something I will not think to budge on.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:31 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,900,531 times
Ok you cheated with him while you were 19 and not married? Though it was unfaithful as a girlfriend it's not as bad as husband cheating on a wife.

You can tell him. It may stir up more trouble. But honestly he comitted adultry.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Yup. Done arguing. I'm not swaying.

Good luck with the marriage. Hope it works out. This is just a really bad subject for me and it's something I will not think to budge on.
I would NEVER really argue with you my prince

We are just having a lively discussion

Old 09-05-2012, 09:38 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,656,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Ok you cheated with him while you were 19 and not married? Though it was unfaithful as a girlfriend it's not as bad as husband cheating on a wife.

You can tell him. It may stir up more trouble. But honestly he comitted adultry.
Interesting...so a piece of paper changes the severity of cheating.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:40 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,781,933 times
I don't know I kind of see both sides of the argument.

As the husband - I would want to know if you cheated on me 19 years ago. They may not have been married, but they were still together. I would care about this information, and the fate of our relationship might depend on it.

As the wife - What would be gained by telling him? The marriage has more pressing issues, and digging up this dirt from the past might just be throwing more gasoline on the fire. She seems remorseful, and she hasn't repeated the behavior, so I'm not sure it's worth it to make any grand confessions after all this time. Especially not if you are interested in saving this marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships