Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 02:02 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,402,203 times

Advertisements

Yargh, Soviet, my childhood would have been your worst nightmare. My father had me cleaning his kennels from the age of 12, and I grew up running around with his dogs, in and out of the kennels, from the time I could walk. The vast amount of fecal matter that I have come into contact with is rather epic - I've stepped in it, been splattered by it, FALLEN INTO IT, etc. Once I even willingly crawled through it to get to a pup that had fallen under a whelping pen.

Consider this though: I have a great immune system, and I never had any illness related to my kennel work. Yeah, sure, you might one day run into a germ that will kill you, but most of them just make you stronger. Oh, and sex is messy - that's the fun part, or one of 'em anyway.

See a therapist - your OCD is holding you back from what should be a freeing experience, not a source of anxiety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 02:40 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,048,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
well it's okay op. some people are disgusted and do not want contacts with other people's bodily fluid. i don't see why that's a problem.
I do -- it's keeping him from having relationships.

Or, if not having a relationship is no problem to the OP, then that's another choice he can make: just don't have a romantic partner.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post

It's certainly possible that the OP has it, but suggesting that the OP get therapy based on one behavior that may or may not be related to a disorder that affects one percent of adults, is a real stretch.
No, suggesting therapy is probably the best possible thing, if the OP wants to eventually have a relationship.

This is keeping him from having romantic relationships; I'd say that's a significant interference in one's life (again, provided this bothers the OP; if it doesn't, then no problem, he can just never have a physical relationship).

Other options, such as wiping down dates with Handi Wipes, really aren't as feasible as either:

1. the OP discussing all this with someone qualified to make a diagnosis or rule out a diagnosis, or
2. just not having a relationship, period, end of story, that involves sex.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:09 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,252,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
well it's okay op. some people are disgusted and do not want contacts with other people's bodily fluid. i don't see why that's a problem.
He's not saying anything about bodily fluid. He's referring to germs and contaminants. He's not saying the girl's butt is still wet from backsplash. Being a germaphobe can cause problems in relationships, or cause lack of relationships and not just in a romantic sense. Howie Mandel is a big germaphobe. If you've ever watched Deal or No Deal, he won't touch anyone's hands. He bumps fists. I don't remember if it was his birthday or anniversary, but his wife bought him one of those automatic toilet seat covers for their own house.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:12 PM

29,759 posts, read 34,459,247 times
And, as we've seen in Findly's thread, it takes a certain kind of person to a.) deal with OCD in general, and b.) be okay with someone who makes them take a Silkwood shower before and after every bowel movement or sexual encounter. Not everyone is going to appreciate being treated as contaminated.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:15 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,811,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I really struggle with the assertion that 1%, is "most people". Most people (99% of adults), do not have it "varying in severity". Either they have it (1%), or they don't have it (99%). It is diagnosed based on several general, and specific criteria that must be met, and if not met, the person does not have the disorder.

It's certainly possible that the OP has it, but suggesting that the OP get therapy based on one behavior that may or may not be related to a disorder that affects one percent of adults, is a real stretch. Everyone has their weird "thing", and most people know they have that thing. Absent all the other criteria, having a "thing", or even many things, does not make OCD.

NIMH · Statistics · Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Among Adults
Our OP clearly has issues.

He can limp along living a less than stellar lonely existence without human contact if he wants to, but I vote he gets the help he needs from a professional to live his life to the fullest

Old 05-19-2012, 01:40 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,744,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
He's not saying anything about bodily fluid. He's referring to germs and contaminants. He's not saying the girl's butt is still wet from backsplash. Being a germaphobe can cause problems in relationships, or cause lack of relationships and not just in a romantic sense. Howie Mandel is a big germaphobe. If you've ever watched Deal or No Deal, he won't touch anyone's hands. He bumps fists. I don't remember if it was his birthday or anniversary, but his wife bought him one of those automatic toilet seat covers for their own house.

LOL @ howie mendel and the toilet seat, that's messed up! I have OCD so I do know about it, ty....he posted topic stating 'don't think I'll be able to be intimate...' and I'm saying, maybe he won't be able to and it's not that big of a deal if so. People want a lot of things in life, doesn't mean you can always have them, shame as it may be. *shrugs*

Old 05-22-2012, 08:53 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,039,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
No, suggesting therapy is probably the best possible thing, if the OP wants to eventually have a relationship.

This is keeping him from having romantic relationships; I'd say that's a significant interference in one's life (again, provided this bothers the OP; if it doesn't, then no problem, he can just never have a physical relationship).

Other options, such as wiping down dates with Handi Wipes, really aren't as feasible as either:

1. the OP discussing all this with someone qualified to make a diagnosis or rule out a diagnosis, or
2. just not having a relationship, period, end of story, that involves sex.
It's not keeping me from having a romantic relationship! She just has to take a shower before getting dirrrrrty with me in bed!

Old 05-22-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
It's not keeping me from having a romantic relationship! She just has to take a shower before getting dirrrrrty with me in bed!
So if there's no problem, why are you asking what to do about it? Also if it's no hindrance to having a relationship, why is the title of your thread "I'm unsure if I could be intimate with a woman"?

Old 05-22-2012, 09:03 PM

578 posts, read 1,094,002 times
How Insulting to women. Gheezh OCD or not. Just insulting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships