Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 06:12 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,304,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myladeybugg View Post
i am 23 and have been with my boyfriend for almost 8 years and living with him for 2! I don't think there should be a time limit on when a guy should propose. I hate it when people tell me i should leave if i don't get a ring soon. We are happy where we are and do plan on getting married, but right now is just not the right time.

Telling your so you want to have a ring after a certain amount of years just causes way too many problems.
^^this x1000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 06:22 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,776,400 times
Forever.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:37 PM

460 posts, read 672,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
learn to read
i never spoke for all men
i said MOST
Sorry. I don't pay that much attention to the semantics of a man who espouses such skewed and unsubstantiated views. In fact, I just skipped over your post the first time. When it was quoted later, the best I could do was skim the quote without feeling disgusted.

The fact that you have talked to a few married men means nothing to me.

Also, just to return the nasty tone thrown at me: Learn to use punctuation.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:51 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,169,670 times
lol not using proper punctuation is a lot better than putting words in someone's mouth, although I do find it amusing that you come back using big words to try and sound intelligent.Every criticism about your post had to do with the fact that you put words in my mouth. Even you pointing out that you never had to give your husband an ultimatum to marry you was your response to something that I never said.

My views aren't skewed or unsubstantiated at all, although it's pretty funny that when someone disagrees with you it causes you to get so angry that you can't even read the post without drastically misreading it.

I don't care what means anything to you. Facts are facts.MOST men would be perfectly happy in good relationships without getting married. Getting married is a better alternative than losing someone they love and care about.That doesn't make it exactly what they want. Most men don't grow up dreaming of getting married, their friends don't put pressure on them to get married, and people don't tell them they are being used it if they are in a good relationship but aren't married after a few years.Men don't have biological clocks.Marriage doesn't favor men.

Are there some men who really want to get married?Absolutely. That doesn't mean what I'm saying isn't true.The fact you can get so disgusted by someone who disagrees with you, especially when you are so completely and utterly wrong,shows how close minded you are.

The bottom line-most men would be perfectly happy in a healthy long term relationship without getting married and most women (especially ones who havent ever been married) wouldn't be.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:54 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
Quote:
lol not using proper punctuation is a lot better than putting words in someone's mouth, although I do find it amusing that you come back using big words to try and sound intelligent.

My views aren't skewed or unsubstaintiated at all, although it's pretty funny that when someone disagrees with you it causes you to get so angry that you can't even read the post without drastically misreading it.

I don't care what means anything to you. Facts are facts.MOST men would be perfectly happy in good relationships without getting married. Getting married is a better alternative than losing someone they love and care about.That doesn't make it exactly what they want. Most men don't grow up dreaming of getting married, their friends don't put pressure on them to get married, and people don't tell them they are being used it if they are in a good relationship but aren't married after a few years.Men don't have biological clocks.Marriage doesn't favor men.

Are there some men who really want to get married?Absolutely. That doesn't mean what I'm saying isn't true.The fact you can get so disgusted by someone who disagrees with you, especially when you are so completely and utterly wrong,shows how close minded you are.

The bottom line-most men would be perfectly happy in a healthy long term relationship without getting married and most women (especially ones who havent ever been married) wouldn't be.
Must be the company you keep. My husband definitely wanted to get married. So did most of his friends. So did most of my male friends. Most of them wanted or want kids as well. And yes - these men talked about getting married and wanting children. Sometimes birds of a feather stick together.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:59 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,690,775 times
as soon as i feel ready but after 5 years its either happen or its not.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:15 PM

460 posts, read 672,243 times
Quote:
lol not using proper punctuation is a lot better than putting words in someone's mouth, although I do find it amusing that you come back using big words to try and sound intelligent.Every criticism about your post had to do with the fact that you put words in my mouth. Even you pointing out that you never had to give your husband an ultimatum to marry you was your response to something that I never said.

My views aren't skewed or unsubstantiated at all, although it's pretty funny that when someone disagrees with you it causes you to get so angry that you can't even read the post without drastically misreading it.

LoL. I don't have to pretend to be intelligent and I wasn't aware of using big words. I'm sure my post didn't have a lexile level any higher than 7th grade.

Facts are things that can be proven. You have failed to prove your statement of most men not wanting to be married. Therefore your so-called facts are unsubstantiated. You have provided anecdotal evidence collected from other individuals who are probably like-minded. The plural of anecdote is not data. There's a whole big world out there. I know at least 10 men that do want to be married some day and dream of finding "the one." Maybe I have a group of especially marriage-minded friends. Perhaps...but I'm not the one ascribing any type of thought regarding marriage to "most men." I am simply using them as reproof of your statement.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:20 PM

if you disagree with me it's because you think that most men do want to get married
you are doing exactly what I am doing, you just reached a different conclusion

Old 05-17-2012, 07:21 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,469,565 times
Quote:
if you disagree with me it's because you think that most men do want to get married
you are doing exactly what I am doing, you just reached a different conclusion
Stop speaking for most men. Sheesh. How the hell are you having a hard time grasping this simple concept?

Old 05-17-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwamjn View Post
Stop speaking for most men. Sheesh. How the hell are you having a hard time grasping this simple concept?

the problem with you saying that is you are also speaking for most men
if the concept is so simple why can't you stop?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships