Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 04:03 PM

900 posts, read 1,703,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
[/b]

I was hoping some of the CD women can explain that. Why do women care so much about getting married?

And you said you were with him for 10 years and had kids before, that's amazing,

But most women aren't going to be cool with that
Getting married is a statement to the world , this is my partner. I think (don't get angry , just one opinion of a "demanding" woman) it's a shame women go for all this.fwb and children out of wedlock- it's a shame the fuc*ing men don't step up and take responsibility. I know some women try to trap men , nothing's black and white. But all this casual , low consequence sex makes it hard for someone like me who is called demanding.
I am divorced , we had no childten because I knew I made a mistake , plus , I never wanted to give birth. My ex H has a child now , do you think his girlfriend is happy with the fact that he once married , so is capable of it yet he hasn't done the same for her when she gave him a child? I'd be resentful.
Ok , there's my rant. If you insist on marriage , you may be limiting yourself. I have few deal breakers , this is one. Guys , if you don't want to marry , Hell , don't , most women will not insist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 04:15 PM

900 posts, read 1,703,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
There are plenty of married men who aren't committed. Titles, rings, and paper dont make a relationship. Love, trust, and respect do. All things you can have without being married or things you can not have even though you are married.
What's wrong with wanting all that AND marriage? Why do you not?

Last edited by maddog1; 05-17-2012 at 04:39 PM..

Old 05-17-2012, 04:16 PM

344 posts, read 396,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Very simple, how long would you Be in a relationship with a man before you start to get anxious of him not proposing(married women can chime in also)

Does it matter? Would you stay with a man for 10+ years and be ok just essentially "Playing house"?

I ask because I've seen this scenario a lot of times where the women is in a happy relationship for years then start to get nervous that he'll never propose, often giving him an ultimatum

It happened to a friend of mine who ended up proposing to his GF at 26(wasn't really ready, But he didn't really want to lose her so he bit the bullet)
I might be more independent than the average girl, but I have no profound need, or urge, to receive a ring or get married. I do however like the idea of being in an exclusive relationship. That relationship would not need a ring, or a marriage certificate. It would need only the sincere promise from someone I trust. All of that would change if children were in the equation. I have no immediate plans, or desire, to bear children. That is subject to change however.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:28 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,056,771 times
I think it's important to remember that this is a forum of a limited set of people, and not a representation of America or the world overall. Perhaps most people in this forum aren't interested in (re)marriage, but we wouldn't still have marriages in the real world if there weren't people who still want it.

There's so many Debbie Downers in this forum. I may be in the minority, but I would like to get married. People can believe what they want, but love and commitment without the symbol isn't enough for me. If a guy wants to have everything without marrying me, it's like telling me he has doubts of us lasting and if he doesn't stay "committed" at least he didn't make that official promise. And I know marriage isn't necessarily foolproof, but making the vow official means more to me: A man can have several girlfriends, but not many girlfriends would become his wife... .

My answer isn't set in stone, but I would wonder where the relationship is going if I were with a guy more than three years and he had no interest in proposing. I wouldn't give him an ultimatum, but I would tell him we may want different things, and will allow him to move on if we're not on the same page. And no, I would not live with him/have children prior to marriage.

Last edited by LexWest; 05-17-2012 at 05:20 PM..

Old 05-17-2012, 05:31 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,171,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
That goes for men as well.
no it really doesnt
even when most men are head over heels in love with someone it goes like this

staying in a relationship with her>marriage>losing her

Old 05-17-2012, 05:41 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,675,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
no it really doesnt
even when most men are head over heels in love with someone it goes like this

staying in a relationship with her>marriage>losing her
Of course men who don't want to get married believe that no men want to get married.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:48 PM

460 posts, read 672,533 times
Quote:
Of course men who don't want to get married believe that no men want to get married.
Seriously! How arrogant to speak for all men like that.

I don't sit here and pretend to speak for all women. I'm not that conceited. I like marriage, but I fully grasp the fact that not all women want marriage.

I never threatened to leave my husband ever. There was never an ultimatum. We got married because we mutually decided to make that symbolic commitment to each other.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
lol yea ive never talked about this with other men or on other forums,many of whom were married

Old 05-17-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southshorelady View Post
Seriously! How arrogant to speak for all men like that.

I don't sit here and pretend to speak for all women. I'm not that conceited. I like marriage, but I fully grasp the fact that not all women want marriage.

I never threatened to leave my husband ever. There was never an ultimatum. We got married because we mutually decided to make that symbolic commitment to each other.
learn to read
i never spoke for all men
i said MOST

Old 05-17-2012, 06:07 PM

42 posts, read 75,412 times
I am 23 and have been with my boyfriend for almost 8 years and living with him for 2! I don't think there should be a time limit on when a guy should propose. I hate it when people tell me I should leave if I don't get a ring soon. We are happy where we are and do plan on getting married, but right now is just not the right time.

Telling your SO you want to have a ring after a certain amount of years just causes way too many problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships