Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 09:45 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

Advertisements

I don't know if I'm accurate, but it seems to be it is almost expected that after two people who have been in a serious relationship break up, they do not remain friends. They may drift apart, hate each other, be indifferent, or be on congenial terms, but it seems it's not really conventional for them to remain really good friends afterwards.

Does this vary if the two people were good friends BEFORE they became romantic? Versus if they were only ever romantic together.

I mean sure it does happen, but is there something about being in a relationship that ruins a friendship?

I don't really see why it has to.

Yes I have much to learn, but please don't refer to me personally. I just want to talk in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 09:56 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,195,349 times
Just a lot of leftover sentiment for the other side, I guess? Good or bad. A lot of breakups aren't exactly amicable, they result in anger or sadness or jealousy for a lot of people, even if whatever caused the breakup wasn't exactly an emotional thing.

What I've noticed is that people who were good friends before they became romantic seem to stand less of a chance of remaining friends afterwards, rather than people who sorta started "cold" in their relationship and got to know each other better the longer they've been together.

Leftover feelings can be powerful. Even if the breakup was somewhat amicable, a lot of sadness or resentment can be hidden from the other person. I don't really understand exactly WHY breakups happen this way, it's just my experience and observations of others.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:09 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,409,410 times
have you ever had to be around your love after a break up? its painful and makes you want to die. this is why I don't remain friends with exes..it just prolongs the healing process. I think the best way to be friends is to have no contact for a couple years and then once feelings have subsided, then try to be friends, but only friends. Even that seems risky too though.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
have you ever had to be around your love after a break up? its painful and makes you want to die. this is why I don't remain friends with exes..it just prolongs the healing process. I think the best way to be friends is to have no contact for a couple years and then once feelings have subsided, then try to be friends, but only friends. Even that seems risky too though.
I've never been in a relationship. Never got past the 'friend stage.' There've been perhaps two or three women who have liked me, that I know of, in my entire life. I'm not ugly, out of shape or have a terrible personality, some have told me I'm quite attractive, just haven't managed to (a) find someone I was attracted to enough that I could spend any time with (haven't been attracted to anyone I've met online, I'm not that picky, at least where looks are concerned), (b) really 'come on' to a woman, or make a move so to speak.

I get what you're saying, though. But what of say amicable breakups? I wonder if there's truth in the idea that the stronger the love, the stronger the hate. Maybe friendship is easier if you were never that passionately close to begin with.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

I get what you're saying, though. But what of say amicable breakups? I wonder if there's truth in the idea that the stronger the love, the stronger the hate. Maybe friendship is easier if you were never that passionately close to begin with.
In my situation, the stronger the love, yes, the stronger the hate was but I wouldn't call it hate. It was more of just anger because its hard to comprehend sometimes how things can go from such passion to such disaster. but yes, I feel that if there wasn't much passion to begin with, its easier to be friends..but that's me. I truly think those who are able to be friends with exes, never had such a strong passion to begin with.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:38 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Quote:
I've never been in a relationship. Never got past the 'friend stage.' There've been perhaps two or three women who have liked me, that I know of, in my entire life. I'm not ugly, out of shape or have a terrible personality, some have told me I'm quite attractive, just haven't managed to (a) find someone I was attracted to enough that I could spend any time with (haven't been attracted to anyone I've met online, I'm not that picky, at least where looks are concerned), (b) really 'come on' to a woman, or make a move so to speak.

Have you ever been into a woman, REALLY into a woman, and had her reject you? Hurt, didn't it?

Then, did you ever have to see firsthand or second hand that person hooking up with another dude? The ultimate in pain.

Same thing as when you break up with somebody. Sometimes it's OK to be around them if you still have feelings for them. You can even keep convincing yourself that you'll get back together. But once they get someone else ... then it gets ugly.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
In my situation, the stronger the love, yes, the stronger the hate was but I wouldn't call it hate. It was more of just anger because its hard to comprehend sometimes how things can go from such passion to such disaster. but yes, I feel that if there wasn't much passion to begin with, its easier to be friends..but that's me. I truly think those who are able to be friends with exes, never had such a strong passion to begin with.
Was the anger directed at him, or yourself, or both? Or simply at the circumstances. The more I know about how people relate, the more I see how they are always 'falling out' with one another.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Have you ever been into a woman, REALLY into a woman, and had her reject you? Hurt, didn't it?

Then, did you ever have to see firsthand or second hand that person hooking up with another dude? The ultimate in pain.

Same thing as when you break up with somebody. Sometimes it's OK to be around them if you still have feelings for them. You can even keep convincing yourself that you'll get back together. But once they get someone else ... then it gets ugly.
Yes I can imagine that...

I've never been rejected because I've never been in a position to try anything with a woman I've liked. Firstly 4 times out of 5 they aren't even single, and other than that I've never felt strongly enough about anybody to pursue anything.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:59 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Quote:
Yes I can imagine that...

I've never been rejected because I've never been in a position to try anything with a woman I've liked. Firstly 4 times out of 5 they aren't even single, and other than that I've never felt strongly enough about anybody to pursue anything.
Wow! How old are you?

Do anything you can to avoid serious heart wrenching rejection. Get coaching if you need to and learn to pick up on the girls who really like you. You are in a good spot.

Rejection has messed me up and jaded me badly. I don't wish it on anybody.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Was the anger directed at him, or yourself, or both? Or simply at the circumstances. The more I know about how people relate, the more I see how they are always 'falling out' with one another.
It was all of the above. However, I would fall in love like that all over again if I had the chance. I don't regret a thing. Regardless..its still best to have a clean break up with no contact for the sake of emotional health which then manifests physically. My mother accused me of anorexia because I lost so much weight so quickly from the anxiety of it all, and that experience taught me to just cut it off. It hurts at first but it makes it so much easier in the long run. But that was how it was for me. Everyone experiences grief over heartbreak very different from one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships