Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 11:15 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,213,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Wow! How old are you?

Do anything you can to avoid serious heart wrenching rejection. Get coaching if you need to and learn to pick up on the girls who really like you. You are in a good spot.

Rejection has messed me up and jaded me badly. I don't wish it on anybody.
I'm 26. It's a long story. One major reason is I have severe anxiety disorder, although that's not the whole story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 12:17 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,340,817 times
Sean Colvin has a great song about the end of relationships, she talks of the nuclear winter of another love affair.

I think people would be better off having actual relationships rather than asking all of these questions that can only be known by their own actions.

_________
I'm friends with most of my ex's.
You back off for a while, then move on.

They're nice people and I like them as such.

Heck, I've introduced ex's to new people.

Last edited by chielgirl; 03-18-2012 at 12:44 AM..

Old 03-18-2012, 01:54 AM

395 posts, read 708,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I don't know if I'm accurate, but it seems to be it is almost expected that after two people who have been in a serious relationship break up, they do not remain friends. They may drift apart, hate each other, be indifferent, or be on congenial terms, but it seems it's not really conventional for them to remain really good friends afterwards.

Does this vary if the two people were good friends BEFORE they became romantic? Versus if they were only ever romantic together.

I mean sure it does happen, but is there something about being in a relationship that ruins a friendship?

I don't really see why it has to.

Yes I have much to learn, but please don't refer to me personally. I just want to talk in general.
The two ppl need time apart before they can know if they can be friends or not after a relationship. It's a risk you need to take.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:05 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,451,500 times
Usually the one who left is fine being friends. It is the one who still wanted the relationship who has "issues" with being "friends".

I left an ex, who still hates me. He wants no contact. His choice. He is the one with the problem. Others just move on. It is just the way it is...

Old 03-18-2012, 08:40 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,795,023 times
My ex husband and I are "friends" because we have two very good reasons to be friends. The romantic feelings that we had are long gone but I still care for his well being.

I don't really have any other exes. Just people I've dated short term and I don't stay in contact with them other than friending on Facebook.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:08 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,309,164 times
Because it doesn't make sense. For reasons unknown to me, many people these days are hell-bent to prove that senseless things work.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:10 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,722,767 times
I never saw the point. It prevents the healing process from moving along. It's like... idk... if you're such great pals why the **** did you break up? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Not to mention every one I know who maintains constant contact with their ex STILL isn't over them. Even 2-3 years after the fact.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:12 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,613,229 times
unmet expectations.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:17 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,309,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I never saw the point. It prevents the healing process from moving along. It's like... idk... if you're such great pals why the **** did you break up? It just doesn't make sense to me.
That's exactly the way I look at it. Residual feelings and attraction are not a good foundation for "friendship."

Old 03-18-2012, 09:28 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,585,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
...it seems to be it is almost expected that after two people who have been in a serious relationship break up, they do not remain friends.
IMO, I agree that is doesn't have to, but everyone is coming from a less than perfect state, and we usually let problems build beyond endurance before facing up to them. We also, in general, tend to guard our sensitive parts, and protect our hurting places, rather than exposing them and examining them objectively. Then, once our endurance for pain, frustration, disappointment (whatever) reaches the trigger point, we start to bicker, argue, fight. It's possible it's only one-sided, but in my observations, it always takes both to cause a relationship to fail, albeit unintended.

Harbored hurts, angers, frustrations should be discussed, but usually they are hurled with some corresponding level of abuse, depending on the depth of the internal pain. The more the pain, the more the abuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships