Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Ztw Ztw started this thread

33 posts, read 48,713 times

Advertisements

Long story short. Ex broke off our 8 year relationship about 2 months ago stating he had no time for me because he's too busy working & being in 2 bands. I did not agree with the break up & told him I love him. He said he had to break up even if he regrets it & that I'm his best friend and he can't see me not in his life. I have not seen or spoken to him since. I even deleted my Facebook because he was liking my photos. So honestly what the hell? If he actually truly wanted to be friends I would have heard from him. I also don't want to be friend zoned. He knows I care way more than a friend & I'm not going to pretend. I also don't want to become just friends with benefits. I have completely disappeared. I need to know if he was just saying that to ease the breakup or does it mean something else? Ive heard some men say this as a means to leave the door to the relationship open? I understand that maybe overtime down the road you could possibly be friends.guys POV would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 05:00 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Only he knows the answer to your questions and you will never find out if you don't talk to him and ask him directly.
No one here knows either of your and can only venture to guess what the reason "might" be since we are have your side of the story to offer any advice on.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:59 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Only he knows the answer to your questions and you will never find out if you don't talk to him and ask him directly.
No one here knows either of your and can only venture to guess what the reason "might" be since we are have your side of the story to offer any advice on.

Only he knows the answer to your questions and you will never find out because it's unlikely that he will ever give you the answers to your questions. Talking and asking directly didn't work for me.

When an ex says he wants to remain friends, do they really?
He either wants to remain friends to be friends or it strokes his ego to keep you around.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:25 PM

322 posts, read 585,110 times
When an ex asked me that, it usually meant that she wanted to keep in contact with me to see how miserable I would be without her. Once I got a new girlfriend, they didn't want to talk to me anymore.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:28 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
depends on the benefits package,,

you need to walk your own path...not walk in someone else's shadow

Old 07-01-2013, 07:04 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,260,016 times
I think you need to move on. Cutting contact is good - if he's still in your life, you are going to cling to hope and obssess over what he's doing, and analyze everything he's doing. I think he was just trying to be nice or let you down easy. Maybe he doesn't want to hurt your feelings. I think he will eventually find someone else. I wouldn't hold out hope. If he really loved you, and wanted to be with you, then he would.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:20 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,360,382 times
You did the right thing. Cut off all ties until you can purge your system of the feelings you hold for him. Else you risk having your emotions toyed with. Delicate situation but I believe you are on the right track.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:01 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
You did the right thing. Cut off all ties until you can purge your system of the feelings you hold for him. Else you risk having your emotions toyed with. Delicate situation but I believe you are on the right track.

^^^^^ This

My ex wanted to stay friends. As soon as I announced "guess what, I have a new boyfriend now." No phone calls, no texts, no nothing. Several days later, I received a phone call, "Hey, remember the ring I gave you, send it back because you don't deserve it anymore." ooooooooook.

You need to concentrate on your own emotional well being at this moment. Staying "friends" with this guy can only hurt you in the long run. You are going through a painful healing process and only your feeling matters at this point. Forget about him, you can find somebody more suitable for you in the future.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:10 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,080,437 times
There's one person from my past I would have liked to remain friends with. They didn't feel the same way though so it never happened. I meant it when I said it though. We had started out as friends and I hated to lose that part of him.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:16 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,663,909 times
Who cares what he wants? Do what you need to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships