Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 11:04 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,208,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBomb View Post
Babies get tagged around their ankles to prevent mixups in the ward. A paternity test is just a quick q-tip swab in the mouth of the baby and the alleged father and brought to the labs for testing. Testing costs between 70 to 80 bucks and if can't afford a test that cheap then you have a lot more problems than that.
Their DNA doesn't go into a database and God knows what would happen with that data. I think we, as a society, are not under any obligation to pander to the dregs who need/want these types of services. Nobody is preventing the use of tests.

Anyhow and again, my husband would not allow it.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:07 AM

31,077 posts, read 22,122,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What would be the point in that. I never said genetics doesn't matter, its not the be all, end all. The bond that develops between parents and child is not on the molecular level. Women who have been given the wrong child at birth have never to my knowledge walked out on the child she raised when she found out it did not share her DNA.
The occurance of this is even smaller than the 2-4% mentioned in the article that don't match the Husbands DNA.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:11 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,767,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Women who have been given the wrong child at birth have never to my knowledge walked out on the child she raised when she found out it did not share her DNA.
But they weren't deceived by their life partner.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:13 AM

491 posts, read 570,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Their DNA doesn't go into a database and God knows what would happen with that data. I think we, as a society, are not under any obligation to pander to the dregs who need/want these types of services. Nobody is preventing the use of tests.

Anyhow and again, my husband would not allow it.
The same thing they do with fingerprints or when doctors take blood samples to test for diseases: Nothing. Why are they dregs? Because they want to know? Mama's baby, daddy's maybe. You know for a FACT that the child is yours since you gave birth to it, but he doesn't know he's just taking your word for it. Trust but verify indeed. Btw your husband won't ask because he either doesn't want to hurt your feelings or he's afraid he might find out something he doesn't want to know.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
The same thing they do with fingerprints or when doctors take blood samples to test for diseases: Nothing.
You don't know that. There's a big brother flavor to this mandatory stuff you guys are advocating and we're just not that kind of family. Like I have been saying, I fully support anyone who wants one. I just don't know why you guys need to drag us along.

Quote:
Why are they dregs? Because they want to know? Mama's baby, daddy's maybe. You know for a FACT that the child is yours since you gave birth to it, but he doesn't know he's just taking your word for it. Trust but verify indeed. Btw your husband won't ask because he either doesn't want to hurt your feelings or he's afraid he might find out something he doesn't want to know.
Are you kidding? What my husband knows about me is not something you could know about your wife and vice versa. From A-Z we're all very different people coming from different places. We don't reside in the same space, so there is no comparison. My husband doesn't need to test our DNA, test me for heroin, hire a PI to see if I'm a hooker downtown. I don't need to follow him around, demand DNA tests from the neighbor women to make sure he didn't impregnate them or take a blood test to make sure he's not on crack. That's your trip, not ours.

Make no mistake, by and large we are talking about the dregs of society. Jerry Springer guests etc.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:26 AM

491 posts, read 570,238 times
You're blowing it out of proportion, it's a one time cotton swab test. Why are you going on and on about drugs and testing the neighbors and hookers? Its just one test. A cheap and fast one at that. I don't understand why you are against a man knowing it's his yet have no problem with babies being tagged so the mother knows that the kid is hers. It's mandatory to have car insurance, should that be abolished because of it's big brother flavor?

Old 08-02-2013, 11:27 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,111,311 times
Whether or not I would get a paternity test would depend strictly on the woman I was married to. If I were married to a woman like my first wife, then by all means I would question who the father was. The father could be any guy in our neighborhood. I wouldn't even consider it if I was married to a woman like my present wife, there would be no doubt that I would be the father.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:33 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,079,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug11768 View Post
Paternity tests are becoming more popular for men to find out if their child is really their biological child.

My question is for the fathers here: What would you do if you found out that your child was not biologically yours? Would you abandon the child and write them off for good? Would it matter if the child were a baby or school aged? Would it matter if it was a boy or a girl?
Yes it would matter. If it just a baby, then I would leave them both. And find a new lady.

If the kid was older then I might get a divorce, but I would not leave the kid. I would have adopted the child, and kept it a secret. She looks at me as the father, and would be devastated if I left her.

Gender doesn't matter of course.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:33 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,188,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Whether or not I would get a paternity test would depend strictly on the woman I was married to. If I were married to a woman like my first wife, then by all means I would question who the father was. The father could be any guy in our neighborhood. I wouldn't even consider it if I was married to a woman like my present wife, there would be no doubt that I would be the father.
I think this is what a lot of the guys posting on here don't understand. When you trust someone completely - doubt doesn't enter your mind. My husband would be just as offended if I hired someone to follow him around to see if he was cheating on me as I would be if he demanded a paternity test.

But I also think a lot of guys on here are talking about an imaginary wife and an imaginary child - which is far different from actually having a wife and child.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
You're blowing it out of proportion, it's a one time cotton swab test. Why are you going on and on about drugs and testing the neighbors and hookers? Its just one test. A cheap and fast one at that. I don't understand why you are against a man knowing it's his yet have no problem with babies being tagged so the mother knows that the kid is hers. It's mandatory to have car insurance, should that be abolished because of it's big brother flavor?
Hey, I'm sure there is a laundry list people can come up with for mandatory whatever based on their dysfunctional lives. There are spouses who steal from each other, gamble, do drugs, live double lives, whatever. You guys are right there with them. I'm saying it has nothing to do with us, so you have no choice but to leave us out of it. Having car insurance it not the same thing as having yourself genetically identified. And for what? Because of you people? Get real. Controlling much?

And you really don't know what other men think. The kinds of men who do not spend time online b*tching about women. Men with lives, careers, families, and trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships