Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 01:54 PM
miu

17,721 posts, read 40,291,523 times

Advertisements

Since childhood, the majority of my friends have been male. I find that men have more common interests with me than women do. I have no problems with platonic friendships with men. I make my intentions clear and I don't flirt with them. I put myself in the mindset of being like a sister to them. I am also supportive of their romantic activities with other women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 02:06 PM

629 posts, read 1,235,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Since childhood, the majority of my friends have been male. I find that men have more common interests with me than women do. I have no problems with platonic friendships with men. I make my intentions clear and I don't flirt with them. I put myself in the mindset of being like a sister to them. I am also supportive of their romantic activities with other women.
Yes but how many of them are secretly in love with you? Have you ever asked them if they'd ever date you? I'm sure your answer is clear but what of there answer? Assuming you KNOW someone elses feelings without actually knowing it is what makes platonic relationships difficult at times.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:24 PM
miu

17,721 posts, read 40,291,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
Yes but how many of them are secretly in love with you? Have you ever asked them if they'd ever date you? I'm sure your answer is clear but what of there answer? Assuming you KNOW someone elses feelings without actually knowing it is what makes platonic relationships difficult at times.
Whether or not they'd want to date me is moot since they've all been in relationships or married during our friendships. Their s/o's are typical females and more feminine than I am. I make it a point to not dress like I am out on a romantic date when I am with my male platonic friends. I don't wear makeup or heels. If they want to have sex with me, it's only because they are guys and guys think random sexual thoughts more than women do.

I know that a few of them would have liked their s/o to be more like me, but only because of our common interests and my logical behaviour. And also because I don't want kids, I don't need to call them up to talk incessantly during the daytime, I don't like shopping at malls, and I know how to change a flat tire.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Whether or not they'd want to date me is moot since they've all been in relationships or married during our friendships. Their s/o's are typical females and more feminine than I am. I make it a point to not dress like I am out on a romantic date when I am with my male platonic friends. I don't wear makeup or heels. If they want to have sex with me, it's only because they are guys and guys think random sexual thoughts more than women do.

I know that a few of them would have liked their s/o to be more like me, but only because of our common interests and my logical behaviour. And also because I don't want kids, I don't need to call them up to talk incessantly during the daytime, I don't like shopping at malls, and I know how to change a flat tire.
I'm sorry but you seem a bit naive on the inner workings of a man's desire. You may be desirable BECAUSE you don't focus on make up or heels. Putting off their sexual desires as typical men behavior is not wise. Especially when you say some of them want their gf's to be like you. I bet anyone of them would pounce if you showed them interest. Then where would be the desire to protect the friendship?

Old 04-02-2011, 08:20 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,997,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
I'm sorry but you seem a bit naive on the inner workings of a man's desire. You may be desirable BECAUSE you don't focus on make up or heels. Putting off their sexual desires as typical men behavior is not wise. Especially when you say some of them want their gf's to be like you. I bet anyone of them would pounce if you showed them interest. Then where would be the desire to protect the friendship?

HAHAHAHAHAHA - that's rich. REALLY. I mean priceless

Miu is one of the most astute posters you'll ever meet on this forum.

I'd say you are actually the naive one on this issue

Old 04-02-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHA - that's rich. REALLY. I mean priceless

Miu is one of the most astute posters you'll ever meet on this forum.

I'd say you are actually the naive one on this issue
Thanks for the commendation. Since I don't know any of you I can only determine how astute these posters are by their posts. Someone claiming men will be men does not seem very astute to me. And since I have no idea who you are, you claiming so means nothing. So if your going to add to the discussion please do so. Miu obviously believes by acting the way she BELIEVES an undesirable person should act she can prevent her platonic friends from attempting to pursue a relationship with her. She states "reasons" such as her not liking malls and being able to change tires. Yes, no man wants a woman who can change a tire. Sounds naive to me.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:42 PM

543 posts, read 591,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
I've always had women as friends. Many were platonic relationships. Some were not. Age is and was not a factor.
More or less describes me (only difference is that all were platonic).

Old 04-02-2011, 09:54 PM

7 posts, read 17,142 times
Having male friends doesn't really have anything to do with age, but more with the person. You can tell by looking at her own circle of friends right now - does she already have male platonic friends? or are they all mostly female/gay?

Beware though, as you know how stories like these go... Platonic male-female friendships can start that way, but I seriously believe that there is a limit to the closeness you can have before things go beyond being just platonic.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:06 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,218,376 times
My best friend in college was female, and we never dated. Sometimes you really enjoy the company of another person, have good rapport or you have similar interests and that other person is of a different sex. Who cares? I am not going to act rude or vulgar just because she is a woman or attractive.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:35 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,553,584 times
Quote:

After visiting a number of forums for women---this topic comes up a lot.

The female posters openly express their 'inclinations'--not so sure 'that men think random sexual thoughts more than women'---clearly within this particular group sexual thoughts occur frequently--they usually 'turn themselves in--to the group --and are counseled'--whether action is taken on the impulse --it is hard to say. Some do what they want and don't care what the group says---others resolve the issues in other ways.

I like to be appreciated by men for my 'charms'. I was very surprised at the response when I told a male friend---'You do understand that I think of you in an impure way'---this was via email--I think he might have blushed.

Why should any man be surprised that women think like this? Of course we do.

Growling---Do all men still want a 'Nice Girl'-? Along with that comes--control issues and all that. I never was a 'Perfect Little Lady'--in spite of all my mother tried to do--too prissy, irritating sort of people--some of them.
In my decade --those are the girls that got married. I suppose some of them then got divorced or had wonderful marriages or terrible marriages and who knows what else.

I know that I am a sexual being and I know exactly how I prefer such experiences to be. 'Fever'--Peggy Lee.

YouTube - Fever - Peggy Lee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships