Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 03:50 AM

392 posts, read 991,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Sorry I have never heard anybody putting apples in potato salad. I can't even imagine them together are you using a mayo type dressing?
Never heard of apples in potato salad either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 05:46 AM

461 posts, read 797,193 times
I use 1/2 sour cream and 1/2 mayo. Also, I think there's is a huge difference in taste between scallions and onions, I always use scallions. And 1 diced dill pickle, sometimes bacon. Lots of salt and pepper. And at least six eggs, sometimes I think of my potato salad as deviled eggs with potato!

Old 03-30-2009, 07:35 AM

392 posts, read 991,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by entyss View Post
I use 1/2 sour cream and 1/2 mayo. Also, I think there's is a huge difference in taste between scallions and onions, I always use scallions. And 1 diced dill pickle, sometimes bacon. Lots of salt and pepper. And at least six eggs, sometimes I think of my potato salad as deviled eggs with potato!
hmmmm.....I'll try the scallions next time. Onions were starting to make me sick and I had to cut them out completely. I use 3 eggs and then after mixing I put in a tiny bit of fresh parsley. I do use scallions in my macaroni salad.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:04 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,351,253 times
Quote:

These turned into our official family potato salad for about 25-30 years now hope you try it!
lol, funny story. I've never thought of the sour cream. I will add some next time, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
Does anyone else besides me put apples in their potato salad?
You know, I hate to ask what might be a stupid question, but is this a Spanish thing? I don't know if you are spanish, just thinking you might be because of your name (again, I said this might be a stupid question!!, sorry in advance).

The reason I ask is that my cousins wife is Puerto Rican and she always puts green apples in the macaroni salad, and it is soooo good. She is the only one I've known who does this.

Quote:
Sorry I have never heard anybody putting apples in potato salad. I can't even imagine them together are you using a mayo type dressing?
I haven't had them in the potato salad, but let me tell you they are good in the Macaroni salad and I NEVER would have thought to do this.

My friend also just made tuna salad with apples and dried cranberries. I would have never put apples in there either but it was really really good. She ate a sample of it made this way at Whole Foods.

I think I'll seperate some of my next potato salad and add apples to it to see how it tastes. I have a feeling I might like it.

btw, if you want to reduce smashing of the potatoes while mixing, mix up your dressing and other ingredients well, then add the potatoes last and mix them in. seems to distribute everything more evenly.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:09 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,161,372 times
Apples are wonderful in potato salad. I made mine with potatoes, mayonnaise, sour cream scallions, hard boiled eggs, lawry's seasoning salt, a little mustard and relish. I peel and core the apples and chop them in bite size pieces. it's very good.

To answer your question about it being a spanish thing LOL. I don't know. I got the recipe from an african american girlfriend of mine years ago, and continue to use her recipe. everyone always asks me to bring my potato salad to functions because it's so good. I even made it for a work bbq last summer and everyone was surprised when they found out that apples were in it.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:16 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,351,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
Apples are wonderful in potato salad. I made mine with potatoes, mayonnaise, sour cream scallions, hard boiled eggs, lawry's seasoning salt, a little mustard and relish. I peel and core the apples and chop them in bite size pieces. it's very good.

To answer your question about it being a spanish thing LOL. I don't know. I got the recipe from an african american girlfriend of mine years ago, and continue to use her recipe. everyone always asks me to bring my potato salad to functions because it's so good. I even made it for a work bbq last summer and everyone was surprised when they found out that apples were in it.
Lol, you just never know, do you!

I am going to try that, I think it sounds really good.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:48 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,418,065 times
I like mine plain and simple. Boil potatoes with skin on. While still warm, peel and put in refrig. on wire rack until cool. If you try to cut them hot they break apart and I like them in small chunks.
Hard boil eggs, celery, grated onion, 1 cap full of white vinegar, salt and pepper. I mix Best Foods/Hellman's in with the egg mixture first and make it very "loose" before adding the potatoes. It makes it easier to mix. Add add'l mayo if needed.

It was really surprising to see many different potato salad recipes. Interesting and different. Will have to venture outside of my norm this summer

Old 04-03-2009, 06:47 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,739 times
Yesterday I made the BLT potato salad and it rocked.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:42 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,294,175 times
Panda - Thank you for giving us some feedback! I will have to try it!

Old 04-08-2009, 01:31 PM

440 posts, read 1,691,833 times
I boil red potatoes(about 5 Pounds), til fork tender. I then boil 12 eggs and let cool. I peel the eggs, add Hellman's Real Mayo(about a jar), chopped green onions, chopped celery, a Tablespoon of Breakstone's Sour Cream,2 or 3 Tablespoons of yellow mustard, salt and pepper to taste. Then add the dozen eggs. Peel the potatoes, and cube..add the wet ingredients and refrigerate.. I have used my Mom's recipe for years and people always ask me to make the Potato Salad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes