Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 08:15 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times

Advertisements

I am a cheapskate I know. Just curious if anybody has recommendations on the cheapest place to get a propane tank for a gas grill. I noticed that Ace hardware and Food Lion Charge around $48 for a new filled tank if you don't have a trade in and $19 for a full tank when you turn in an empty.

I was thinking of picking up an empty tank at Cosco today (They are $20 there) and exchanging it in for a full one at Food Lion for another $19, thus saving me $9. Just curious if there is somewhere cheaper out there. I have a new grill and I plan to use it a lot this summer!!!

Thanks for helping me save a few bucks!!

Old 05-11-2007, 08:28 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I am a cheapskate I know. Just curious if anybody has recommendations on the cheapest place to get a propane tank for a gas grill. I noticed that Ace hardware and Food Lion Charge around $48 for a new filled tank if you don't have a trade in and $19 for a full tank when you turn in an empty.

I was thinking of picking up an empty tank at Cosco today (They are $20 there) and exchanging it in for a full one at Food Lion for another $19, thus saving me $9. Just curious if there is somewhere cheaper out there. I have a new grill and I plan to use it a lot this summer!!!

I go through a lot of propane due to my hobby (I brew beer ) and I found that the cheapest way was to buy the empty tank and then get it refilled (not exchanged) at a place that sells propane.

I haven't done this yet here in Raleigh because I'm living in an apartment and, naturally, propane cookers are not allowed. But, in Dallas I used to go to a gas station that had a propane tank. Also, many of the U-Haul rental places in Dallas had propane tanks.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:30 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:

NRG,
You should be able to get a refill on a 20# tank for about $12.00 or so.
I get mine a couple of places, Quality Inspection on Chatham Street in Cary being one.
You can get refills at the UHaul stores. With a new tank, refilling is definitely the most economical way to go.

NEWUSER is too quick for me...

Old 05-11-2007, 11:53 AM

770 posts, read 2,753,178 times
Quote:

Heard this company on the radio
http://www.grill-on.com/order.php
they will do half price if you enter the code RADIO at checkout
I think they advertised $12 delivered
FWIW I have a tank from BJs an filled it up last week for $12 + tax
be careful swapping one from costco or bj s for a generic tank because the taps are different and the generic ones cannot be filled by BJ's or costco , so once you swap you've had it! I found out the hard way

Old 05-30-2008, 03:35 PM

338 posts, read 1,619,356 times
Can anyone recommend a place in N. Raleigh (near Falls of Neuse & Durant Rd.) that will fill my new propane tank that came with my grill? I don't want to exchange my new tank in for a used one found in those propane exchange cages outside of every store.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:32 AM

123 posts, read 611,440 times
You also have to be careful if exchanging them because in the past they have had issues with meth labs using tanks and exchanging them.

Here is the safety alert and what to look for:
Anhydrous Ammonia Safety Alert - National Propane Gas Association

Old 05-24-2009, 12:12 AM

2 posts, read 121,730 times
Be aware that when you have a 20lb tank refilled, you get 20 lbs of propane, but if you trade for a refilled bottle, or even a filled 20lb bottle, you will only end up with somewhere between 15-18lbs of gas. Hardly a bargain. Several years ago they reduced the lbs of gas, rather than raise the price.
Read this article.... URL=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30892512/

Last edited by redmannc; 05-24-2009 at 12:19 AM.. Reason: Added link

Old 05-24-2009, 09:29 AM

820 posts, read 2,787,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
NRG,
You should be able to get a refill on a 20# tank for about $12.00 or so.
I get mine a couple of places, Quality Inspection on Chatham Street in Cary being one.
You can get refills at the UHaul stores. With a new tank, refilling is definitely the most economical way to go.

NEWUSER is too quick for me...
Dude, thanks for the rec. I grill at least 4 out of 7 days of the week. I go through propane quickly. I'm even thinking about getting a 3rd extra tank. I've been filling up at the Lowes because it tends to be cheaper than the gas stations or grocery stores, but this sounds like the best option, especially considering the comment from Redmannc! Looking forward to getting more mileage this way!

Old 05-24-2009, 10:03 AM

242 posts, read 1,213,050 times
This is a bit off topic, but we have large propane tanks (2 - 100 gallon) for stove, dryer and fireplace and eventually on-demand water heater, so we had the propane company run a line directly to our bbq when we had it setup. Saves alot of hastle since the propane company comes to us to refill (so far we only had 1 refill of 100 gallons in 15 months). Just a thought to anyone already with tanks for things like fireplaces alone.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:14 AM

132 posts, read 346,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmannc View Post
Be aware that when you have a 20lb tank refilled, you get 20 lbs of propane, but if you trade for a refilled bottle, or even a filled 20lb bottle, you will only end up with somewhere between 15-18lbs of gas. Hardly a bargain. Several years ago they reduced the lbs of gas, rather than raise the price.
Read this article.... URL=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30892512/
Good point. Always avoid doing an exchange. Those are the ones where you are not getting a full tank of propane; they are ripping your off.

Refills are the way to go as you get exactly what you pay for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary