Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 03:26 PM

8 posts, read 10,391 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I can't seem to find any place to refill my propane cylinder I use with my grill. Any recommendations? Would prefer closer to Cary Park.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 04:06 PM

677 posts, read 1,903,475 times
Well, I'm not sure where Cary Park is! But, there is a car inspection station on Kildaire Farm Road that does refills. It is near the intersection with Cary Parkway.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:06 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdolls4me View Post
Well, I'm not sure where Cary Park is! But, there is a car inspection station on Kildaire Farm Road that does refills. It is near the intersection with Cary Parkway.
I use these guys, and I like them a lot. One thing to know (and I think it's a positive, but has burned me twice) is that they are strict on the expiration dates. They won't fill one that is more than 12 years old, or has been recertified within 5 years. It's the law, but they are the only ones I've ever had to check (and they check every time).

It's where I go. (If you're expired, just do an exchange at Blue Rhino or whatever. You get less gas, and pay more, but part of that is because they'll recertify the cans. Just be sure to get a good date. The date is stamped into the collar, on the top.)

Old 07-31-2015, 07:54 AM

307 posts, read 377,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I use these guys, and I like them a lot. One thing to know (and I think it's a positive, but has burned me twice) is that they are strict on the expiration dates. They won't fill one that is more than 12 years old, or has been recertified within 5 years. It's the law, but they are the only ones I've ever had to check (and they check every time).

It's where I go. (If you're expired, just do an exchange at Blue Rhino or whatever. You get less gas, and pay more, but part of that is because they'll recertify the cans. Just be sure to get a good date. The date is stamped into the collar, on the top.)
Costco checks the dates on the tanks as well. Last time I went they wouldn't refill mine because it was expired.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:13 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosjester87 View Post
Costco checks the dates on the tanks as well. Last time I went they wouldn't refill mine because it was expired.
If you have natural gas, you may want to consider converting the burners (or getting your next grill configured) to use it. I have not had to fill a tank in 10+ years, or worry about running out during a cook.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:33 PM

307 posts, read 377,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
If you have natural gas, you may want to consider converting the burners (or getting your next grill configured) to use it. I have not had to fill a tank in 10+ years, or worry about running out during a cook.
Hmm, so your grill is wired into the natural gas that comes into your house? I might look into that eventually because I do want to have a line run to the kitchen so I can get a gas stove.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:00 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I wish I had a gas line, but I don't, and it's not easy or cheap to get at my house.

Instead, I have two tanks, and always keep a full spare on hand. If I run out, it's a quick change-over. Not as ideal as a real gasline, but still better than running to the Circle-K while my ribs linger at Medium Rare....

Old 07-31-2015, 06:10 PM

43,281 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Natural gas will not work on a stock propane grill.
If considering making the switch, one should be sure that the grill has the proper orifices for the fuel.

Natural gas takes significantly larger orifices than Propane, so you won't get the flame you need if you run natural gas through a propane grill.
Some grills come with the natural gas orifices so you can switch out and change fuels. It is worth checking into it before committing.
Any plumber doing the installation should be on top of it, but it may necessitate replacing the grill to be natural gas capable.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:54 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosjester87 View Post
Hmm, so your grill is wired into the natural gas that comes into your house? I might look into that eventually because I do want to have a line run to the kitchen so I can get a gas stove.
Yes. As Mike pointed out, the burners are different for propane vs natural gas, so you can't just switch between the two. You need to buy the grill with the correct burners. I got my Weber grill over 10 years ago, and it is still going strong with the original natural gas burners.

I have seen comments about natural gas grills not getting as hot as propane. I usually do not cook above 400 degrees*, but have it up to 500 to burn off things.

* For higher temps, I crank up the Kamado Joe, a Big Green Egg clone. They can go to 700+ !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary